PDA

View Full Version : Steroid Use

Polaris
04-25-2002, 06:17 AM
Well, as some of you may have heard, a certain UFC champ has
tested positive for steroids. Now this shouldn't be a surprise, as
plenty of people who know more than me say that steroid use
is rampant in MMA.

Perhaps what got to me was the fact that I saw one of the fighters from where I train pretty much defending the use of it,
and again, saying that the vast majority of fighters do it. Being
that I want to be a competitor this bothers me. I am very
against "juicing". I don't really like being at a disadvantage because of that.

Ofcourse, there are plenty of people who argue that if done properly there is little to no risk of adverse effects on one's health. Well that may be true, but it's a risk I'm not willing to take.
I also think they are a crutch, and that using them is weak.
It's unfourtanate to hear that applies to many of the people where I train, and majority of the people in the sport.

dezhen2001
04-25-2002, 06:40 AM
i think that sux man :( :mad: That creates a bad image for the 'professional atheletes' when they have to resort to things like that...

david

scotty1
04-25-2002, 06:51 AM
Yeah, it does suck big time. And saying everyone else does it or there are no health risks is irrelevant, IMO.

You have to ask someone that does them "Why" and then think to yourself whether that gives them an unfair advantage over someone who doesn't juice.

Qi dup
04-25-2002, 07:05 AM
I hear yah man. Remember like ten years ago when it came out that hulk hogan did steroids? I've never been to interested in wrestling, but i remember that was all you would hear for a long time. everytime wrestling came up it was that "Hulk Hogan used steroids." It sucked for Hogan too because they all wanted to point the finger at him like he was the only one who used them? It is kind of sad, but I can see how people could get involved in that. Always trying to reach a new level, you know? A lot of people when they see a guy lifting heavy in the gym now just assume he's a roid head like the rest. But he might just be a regular guy who's been training hard for a long time.

Budokan
04-25-2002, 07:32 AM
People are always looking for an easy way to attain their goals, even if it means the ultimate destruction of their health and bodies. It must be innate in the human psyche, but it's still cheating to my mind

Ford Prefect
04-25-2002, 07:57 AM
Most pro-athletes and olympians use seroids or other performance enhancing drugs. Pretty much all WWF wrestlers and pro body builders (ie Arnold, Lou, Franco, etc) use steroids. Obviously there are some exceptions both individually and with certain sports/events, but I think most people don't know how widely used they are.

JWTAYLOR
04-25-2002, 08:01 AM
It's all about goals.

If your goal is simply victory in the ring, steroids will help you obtain your goal. So you take steroids.

Seems pretty simple to me.

JWT

Xebsball
04-25-2002, 08:39 AM
I think we all knew pro mma people did it. Very few fighter dont do it.

Roids incrise the peformance and **** you up at the same time.
If they feel like paying the price **** em.
And **** the olympic athletes (lots of em) that do the same.
Yes they win a lot of medals to your country, **** you too if you admire them.

I just want to wait and see how far the roid generation will go, and then point and laugh.

Sharky
04-25-2002, 08:48 AM
they will probably be the ones kicking my ass

scotty1
04-25-2002, 08:55 AM
There are lots of threads about this at the Underground forum.
You'd be surprised how many people support the use of steroids.

Polaris
04-25-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by scotty1

Yes, but there are a fair amount of people who are also against it.

JWTAYLOR- That is a bit of an over simplification. Some of us take our health very seriously and aren't willing to risk the possible consequences. Secondly, some of us think of it as cheating and would rather attain our goals WITHOUT the use of drugs.

CrushingFist
04-25-2002, 09:26 PM
a lotta pro wushu atheletes are given "dietary suppliments" but not told what it is. anyways it makes them recover quicker, less sore, and require less sleep... it's pretty common over there i think.

scotty1
04-26-2002, 01:25 AM
"
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, but there are a fair amount of people who are also against it."

Yeah thats right, but go check out the UG. The thread I'm referring to was started by a pro fighter calling the MMA fans fickle for complaining about steroid use amongst fighters, saying that they 'did it for the fans' and he could count the number of fighters he knew that didn't do it on one hand, so stop complaining about it you bunch of pussies (or words to that effect).

Well, see the number of people that agree with him.

I don't, I think his entire post is a load of ****.

And that thing about the pro wushu 'dietary supplements' is dodgy as hell.

Polaris
04-26-2002, 06:37 AM

The thread I'm referring to was started by a pro fighter calling the MMA fans fickle for complaining about steroid use amongst fighters, saying that they 'did it for the fans' and he could count the number of fighters he knew that didn't do it on one hand, so stop complaining about it you bunch of pussies (or words to that effect).

I didn't want to mention names, but since you know who it is I
will say that is the fighter I was referring to in my original post.
I will say he is a pretty nice guy in real life, as well as knowledgable and skillfull, but I am extremely disappointed with what he said.

scotty1
04-26-2002, 07:12 AM
No man, fighter A took the steroids, and then when some of the fans started slating him for it fighter B posts a thread on the UG saying "Roids are everywhere, everyone does it, get used to it, get off his back"

Unbelievably, the split between the fans on that board seems to be about 50/50. Go check it out.

JWTAYLOR
04-26-2002, 07:36 AM
JWTAYLOR- That is a bit of an over simplification. Some of us take our health very seriously and aren't willing to risk the possible consequences. Secondly, some of us think of it as cheating and would rather attain our goals WITHOUT the use of drugs.

Polaris, exactly. Your goal isn't winning. It's winning without the use of drugs and winning while staying healthy.

For others, the goal is JUST WINNING.

And if that's your only goal, use roids.

JWT

Polaris
04-26-2002, 07:54 AM
scotty-I think you misunderstood my last post, but looking back I understand why. I mentioned both "fighter A" and "fighter B" in
my original post, but was refering to fighter B in my last one. At
any rate, I do frequent the UnderGround so I'm aware of what
is taking place. It's what caused me to start this thread.

scotty1
04-26-2002, 08:38 AM
I know I can't believe some of the bull****e opinions on there.

Sharky
04-26-2002, 08:49 AM
i have never really considered them an option for me.

jun_erh
04-27-2002, 05:15 AM
It's sort of the opposite of Shaolin Kungfu. They used Kung Fu for excerise and self defense, whereas roid guys and girls have seemingly lost the human element to what they are doing. If you're so addicted to money, why become a bodybuilder or olympic athlete anyway? Bodybuilding comps are like Jon Benet Ramsey beauty pageants. The only ones who care about them are other body builders.
The kid acroos the street from me did ssteroids. His body was covered in acne. One morning he woke up and couldn't move. He stopped, but he told me alot of kids would just sjake it off and keep going. None of them are in the NFL now.
In "Enter the Lion's Den" is that what it's called, Shamrock warns against steroid use. Not too convincinly as I recall. HIs arguement was that it affected endurance, but I guess that wouldn't matter much if you win in the first ten seconds.
Remember the all steroids olympics on SNL? The guy lifts 12000 pounds and his arms drop off. There was an article in Details a few years ago where a roid guy was lifting and his hip basicaly fell off, he didn't even feel any pain. He ended up being a tai chi cuan instructor!!!

jun_erh
04-27-2002, 05:22 AM
The real danger with steroids is not even about your "health". It's about how you change , it makes you really aggressive. For example, people who do crack or heroin may not OD, but they are at high risk for AIDS and are often in dangerous situations to buy and use drugs, as well as how it affects there personal life. Not everyone, but it increases the danger. Steroids may not make you ddrop dead in the ring, but when you challenge three huge guys to a fight because YOU ARE UNCONQUERABLE then you may be in deep ****. It's the behavior it produces that is the consequences, like any drug.

Plus, look at this unnamed UFC guy, I assume he's being suspended. So how is he going to make money now? How is he going to Win now?? Some help steroids did him.

guohuen
04-27-2002, 06:54 AM
And when the steroid rage wears off, some fighters with poor boxing skills will resort to "girlie" fighting like biting.

Qi dup
04-27-2002, 07:46 AM
scotty1, what's the address for the underground forum? I wouldn't mind checking it out

Xebsball
04-27-2002, 09:48 AM
its

www.mma.tv

There you find the link to the underground forums.

IronFist
04-27-2002, 07:57 PM
I'm going out right now but I will have a nice post for you all about this topic when I get back :)

IronFist

yu shan
04-27-2002, 10:26 PM
Doesnt roids shrink Mr Happy?

IronFist
04-28-2002, 03:38 AM
Hey guys. Sorry I'm a bit wasted right now so this post might get totally off subject.

Ok. Steroids. I forgot what everone in this thread was talking about, so I'll cut through all the crap.

1. Most pro athletes use steroids.

2. All pro bodybuilders use steroids

3. Steroids do not cancer of any of that other **** the media tells you.

3.5 I think they have the potential to raise your blood pressure, though.

4. Steroids can have side effects, but it's mostly like your natural testosterone production getting messed up if you stay on too long. That's why they make stuff like Clomid to help your test. production get back on track after a cycle of steroids.

5. Roids can shrink your nuts due to a decrease in natural testosterone production, but I've also heard that while you're on (at least while you're on test) your sex drive can go crazy... probably from all the extra test.

"It's about how you change , it makes you really aggressive."

"Roid rage" is more prevalent with certain type of roids, and some people believe it is specific to the individual. So, while testosterone has potential to raise your agressiveness, it doesn't necessarily mean it will turn you into a crazy maniac.

Roids aren't some magic pill. You still need to work very hard when on roids. It's not like you take a shot and the next day you're huge. It's more like steroids just help you capitalize on your potential.

I really need to go to bed now.

IronFist

jun_erh
05-05-2002, 06:14 AM
bulimia and anorexia are great ways to lose weight. You just have to go "underground" to find the "truth"