PDA

View Full Version : practicing horse with socks on a slippery surface

fa_jing
04-25-2002, 11:02 AM
Hi all. Anyone else practice the ma bu in their socks on the floor? It's a far cry from balancing yourself on bricks, but it does train you to push directly into the floor, so that your feet don't slide. I have been doing this for a long time, seems to give the proper emphasis to the inner thigh muscles.

-FJ

TenTigers
04-25-2002, 12:53 PM
When I was 15 I studied Bak Siu Lum, and my Sifu had us start in ma bu on the wood floor in wool sweat socks. We then moved up to cotton bottom "kung-fu slippers"-not much different. After awhile, you could run on ice! I found it to be very helpful in understanding my body and rooting.

wt_disciple
04-26-2002, 12:56 AM
:eek: I saw this puerto rican girl practicing horse stance on the floor in white stockings!! You know... the ones that go up to the thigh!!!!

premier
04-27-2002, 04:10 AM
My kungfu shoes are good as socks on wooden floor =) So I know what you mean.

Choy lee fut takes this a bit further though. We have a wooden dummy called Ching lung jong, penetrating dragon dummy. It's basically a big punching bag, but you have ropes tied to your ankles, the ropes are suspended from the roof and at the end of the ropes there's weights. So the weights pull your legs apart all the time. Then you start beating the sandbag. If you're not properly rooted, you'll tip over. It developes leg strenght and rooting.

guohuen
04-27-2002, 07:26 AM
Yep! First thing every morning on the kitchen floor. Bricks are great too! I just backed down from three to two bricks end on end. Not on purpose, the wife stole two of my bricks for the garden!:p

yu shan
04-27-2002, 07:19 PM
Puerto Rican girl, stockings, thighs!= Yummy...