PDA

View Full Version : How much Training?

marts
04-25-2002, 04:04 PM
Hello,

I am new to this board and new to kung fu .... so hi. I have started at a good school here in Australia, begginners can training Mon, Tues and Wed. Can someone suggest should I be training 2 nights with one night off or 3 nights in a row? Remember I am new to kung fu and are not to fit as yet.

Thanks for your answers!?

Marts

NPMantis
04-25-2002, 04:12 PM
It's a very personal thing, only you can really know how much you want to train or can physically manage. I started going once a week then went twice a week after a month or so, now I can train 3-4 times a week comfortably. Just don't overdo it and see how it goes mate.

Take care,

NPMantis

marts
04-25-2002, 04:14 PM
Thanks for that, I think i might start with two (monday and wednesday) I really love kung fu, the fitness is amazing an so is the art form. ANy other ideas?

anerlich
04-25-2002, 05:57 PM
Lots of guys start super-keen and want to train as much as humanly possible. Then burn out after a month or two when they find that progress requires hard work to overcome initial physical limitations, and that skill development requires mucho boring repetition.

I'd advise you to start doing a couple of days per week (one per week will maintain your skill but not improve it IMHO) so that you end up wanting more and it doesn't turn into a chore. If your still as keen after 6-8 weeks then do more.

Another thing, if your schedule means you can't make your 2-3 times a week, don't let that get you down. One day a week or one every two or three weeks is still better than nothing. I see lots of guys quit because they feel that because they can't do it as often as they'd like that they might as well chuck it in. Don't be one of those guys.

Good luck - remember it's a long term commitment and there will be obstacles and setbacks. The real victory is persevering when it gets difficult or boring.

marts
04-25-2002, 06:04 PM
anerlich thanks for your reply, my time table would allow me to do it every night if I wanted to ... I was thinking about the stress on my body being fairly unfit??

anerlich
04-25-2002, 06:44 PM
marts, I didn't mean to suggest that you had problems with your schedule, just that I see that scenario as a common pitfall for many beginners.

As for your fitness, well yeah, that's much the same thing. Start at a frequency you can handle then gradually increase the load as your body adapts. Don't go at it full bore straight off the bat, because you run a real risk of burnout or injury.

Where are U training?

marts
04-25-2002, 06:56 PM
I am traing at the kung fu academy.

http://www.kungfuacademy.com.au

A typical training session is

Normally 45 mins of fitness training, involving kicks, push ups sit ups etc, then about 30 mins learning the form and putting it into practice .... is that a norm training session?

Thanks for all your help