PDA

View Full Version : Whats that funky creature...

PHILBERT
04-25-2002, 10:18 PM
I remember someone posted a link to this funky sea creature that will enter dying organisms through holes in the body, be it eyes, mouth, whatever then proceed to eat the creature from the inside out. Who posted that link and what was the link? I wanna say it was either KC Elbows or Merryprankster, but I can't remember who it was so I can't do a search for the link. Thanks.

joedoe
04-25-2002, 11:18 PM
The creature was a hagfish and I think KC Elbows posted it on that thread where someone tricked us all into watching a David Hasselhof video clip.

Nasty creature - David Hasselhof that is. :D

PHILBERT
04-25-2002, 11:27 PM
Thanks, I found the topic and link.

anton
04-26-2002, 01:56 AM
Anyone know the name of that tiny South American fish that swims up animals' (including humans) urethras, finds a nice warm spot and unfolds its spikes and sets up home.

dezhen2001
04-26-2002, 03:41 AM
I never want to get to know one of them personal enuff to know their name :D

david

KC Elbows
04-26-2002, 05:00 AM
Wow, check the forum first thing this morning, and what do I find: a whole thread dedicated to the pacific hagfish.:eek:

I finally feel I've achieved something in my life. Now I know how those discovery producers feel when they put out shows like "Octopus: Not Just Calamari!"

My work here is done. I'm leaving. I must spread knowledge of the pacific hagfish, until awareness of the hagfish and its many virtues creeps into the minds of America and the world, like the proud hagfish itself entering a...erm...poopshute.

Chang Style Novice
04-26-2002, 11:03 AM
Anton, the creature you describe is known alternately as a "Candiru" or a "JeezusfarkingkristgeditOOOOUUUUUUT! fish."

You'll have more luck on a websearch with 'candiru' however. Beware: there are very explicit photographs to be found of the ravages of candiru attacks on the human body. I even found an account of one leaping out of a river, up a stream of urine, and into an unfortunate fellow's unit!

I think I speak for us all when I say "yipes!"

KC Elbows
04-26-2002, 11:15 AM
This is the best off-topic thread EVER.

Never before in the annals of KFO have so many sea creatures infiltrated such varied apertures for more nefarious gain.

I am very proud to be a part of this.

DelicateSound
04-26-2002, 11:30 AM
The Amazonian "something-worm" is rather nice. You ingest its eggs thru drinking the water, they hatch inside you and grow until mature, at which point 1.5m long worm exits your body, usually via the upper thigh or anus.

And in the Amazon also is some kick-ass mofo spider who's name I have sadly forgotten, that's bite causes the scrotum to swell to up to 30X its original size. Movement is facilitated by carrying it in a wheelbarrow between ones legs.

No BS.

logic
04-26-2002, 12:50 PM
Heres a little something I think you guys will enjoy:D ;)

FOOD
The candiru has a voracious appetite for blood and will parasitize fish, mammals, and humans. One scientist, while holding a candiru, accidently let it enter a small cut on his hand. It could be seen writhing under the skin towards the vein.
To find a fish, the candiru first tries detect the taste of any water stream that is coming from the gills of a fish. Once such a stream is detected, the candiru follows the stream to its new host and inserts itself inside the gill flap. Spines around its head then pierce the scales of the fish and draws blood while anchoring the candiru in place. The candiru then feeds on the blood by using its mouth as a slurping apparatus and while rasping the long teeth on its top jaw.
When candirus parasitize humans, it is usually only when they are skinny-dipping while urinating in the water. The candiru tastes the urine stream and follows it back to the human. It then swims up the anus and lodges itself somewhere in the urinary tract with its spines. Blood is drawn, and the candiru gorges itself, its body sometimes expanding due to the amount of blood. This is all said to be very painful for the poor person who has this happen to him or her. Unfortunately, they are almost impossible to remove due to the spines. Amputation of the private areas is the cheapest, and most life-changing, way to remove the fish. Actual surgery is extremely expensive and involves inserting the Xagua plant and the Buitach apple up the urethra. These two plants kill and even dissolve the parasitic fish. If surgery is not done in time, the blockage of the urinary tract will prove fatal.
The candiru is the only known vertebrate to parasitize humans.

DelicateSound
04-26-2002, 03:44 PM
CAUSE OF DEATH: Exploded Urinary Tract.

Is there any more painful way?!?! :(

yu shan
04-26-2002, 06:30 PM
ahh, mr. happy is very upset with this thread, and tells me, no vacations to south america!