PDA

View Full Version : Use of Creatine?

londoner2001
04-27-2002, 05:01 AM
Hey I have started using creatine been on it a week now, does it effect your health in any way? Have you people used it for weightlifting I was lifting heavy weights but now I'm doing 30 reps of eveyrthing so I can extend my muscles for doing Wing Chun which I will be starting in July.

I have had four nosebleeds in recent weeks and they are really bad ones my mum is having a go at me saying it is because I lift weights could this be true due to the blood pressure thing?

Thanks for your help.

respectred
04-27-2002, 06:06 AM
just make sure you know when you take the creatine that the long term effects of it are unknown. not many people seem to know that, and if i was taking it, i'd think twice about taking it again after hearing that.
and have you had nose bleeds before you started using it or did they just start recently?

Ka
04-27-2002, 06:36 PM
If you are getting nosebleds I would reassess your diet and check out your bloodpressure,and genernal health.
I don't know your history,but inic is right when he says about concertrating on your deit first,then research what your goals are and then look into extra supplements.
Often with these sort of supplements it also deppends on what you are taking them with and how often depending of what sort of efect you want.

yu shan
04-27-2002, 07:13 PM
IronFist

What do you think?

Scarletmantis
04-28-2002, 10:19 AM
It's important to use Creatine properly, if at all. I've used it for about a year with very good results, but I'm currently cycled off of it for a break. Forget about the whole "loading phase". It's just hype to get you to buy more, and several reputable clinical studies have brought into question your body's ability to absorb the 15-25 grams that are usually recommended for loading. You've gotta drink plenty of water when on Creatine because one of it's effects is to increase the volume of water retained in skeletal muscle tissue.

When I say "plenty of water" I really mean a HUGE amount! One and a half to two Gallons a day minimum. This will insure adequate hydration as well as minimizing any possible effect that the Creatine may have on your liver and kidneys. It's good to take between 5 and 10 grams per day. Some people like to cycle off the creatine every six months or so (again, to minimize possible side effects).

If you're a beginning lifter (first three years or so), Creatine supplementation isn't really necessary IMHO. Yes you will experience bigger, stronger muscles in a relatively short period of time, but you're going to get that effect anyway as your body will be trying to adapt to the new stress. After awhile, your gains will probably start to plateau, but it's better to mix up your routine. If after you've used every strategy available to break your funk, you still find yourself stale, then I would consider using the stuff. :D

IronFist
04-28-2002, 06:38 PM
Have you people used it for weightlifting I was lifting heavy weights but now I'm doing 30 reps of eveyrthing so I can extend my muscles for doing Wing Chun which I will be starting in July.

Um, why are you lifting weights at 30 reps of anything? For bodyweight stuff this is ok, but you will get no benefit from anything lifting weights at 30 reps (with very few exceptions, which are not the case here). A set of 30 reps on bench press is worthless, for example.

Unless you meant 30 reps as in like 6 sets of 5, but I don't think that's the case here.

I have had four nosebleeds in recent weeks and they are really bad ones my mum is having a go at me saying it is because I lift weights could this be true due to the blood pressure thing?

That's not good. When? Like at night? Maybe you need a humidifier. When you work out? That's bad. You're not holding your breath when you lift, are you? Do NOT hold your breath while lifting. That can totally raise your blood pressure.

Other stuff: drink at least a gallon of water per day. Don't expect to do too well with regards to endurance activities while you're on. In fact, if you are active (endurance things) up your water intake to 2 gallons per day. So, for example:

Creatine + Lifting weights: 1 gal. water per day
Creatine + Running, intense MA, other activities stressing prolonged endurance: 2 gal. of water per day

I wouldn't stay on for more than 40 consecutive days. Don't take more than 10g per day, but you will probably experience the same benefits from 5g per day. As ScarletMantis said, don't load, because if you do take the 30g per day for the first week that they recommend, you will just pee the extra 25g out every day. They just want you to spend more money.

I would say 6 months on is too long.

Oh yeah, stay away from creatine serum. It isn't any better, in fact, it's worse. Creatine is not stable in liquid form, so why the hell would anyone sell it that way?

If you're just using straight creatine, take it with a fruit juice drink. Most people claim grape juice is the best. If it's already got carbs added to it, then mixing it with water is fine.

I think that's about it.

IronFist

IronFist
04-28-2002, 06:43 PM
This might be obvious, but I forgot to mention it. Since 30 rep sets are worthless for lifting weights, 30 rep sets + creatine will most likely not do anything, either.

What are your weight lifting goals?

IronFist

Spark
04-29-2002, 07:36 AM
Just to mention, unfortunately I can't remember which one, but one professional sports league has made Creatine an illegal substance, and I've heard some others are looking into it as well.

Also I went on a road trip with a buddy of mine who uses Creatine and his ****s were absolute torture. I almost passed out at the wheel and caused an accident. Swear to god.

Spark
04-29-2002, 07:38 AM
Why was F.A.R.T. bleeped out!?!

That totally makes it look like I was saying his $hit were torture and everyone would think I'm into freaky ****.

I am not.

ElPietro
04-29-2002, 01:46 PM
Creatine is naturally occuring in your body and has been used since the 70s. Almost every substance that is used in bodybuilding has been accused of being a steroid at one point or another. Having creatine as an illegal substance in a sport can be understandable as it can be performance enhancing. But that would mean they would have to measure for increased levels since you always have creatine in you at all times anyway.

I believe all the old studies on creatine were performed on rats and all the data indicating that it can potentially add stress to the liver does not apply in humans.

If you are doing 30 rep sets I'd recommend saving your money and not bothering with creatine. Actually I'd also say save your time and not bother with that routine but you didn't ask for a critique on that.

As for the increased gas, I'd wager it would be from increased protein versus anything to do with creatine. Or working out in general sometimes seems to do this as well.

Take 5-10g per day and make sure you stay hydrated. If you don't stay hydrated you will not gain as much benefit from supplementing with creatine.

As for the nosebleed talk to your doctor before you go back again. If you have blood pressure problems get some tests done. Perhaps the other people you read about in the news that drop dead with heart attacks should be your motivation.

I can explain roughly how creatine works with some remedial science here if yer interested:

Basically, when your muscle contracts under heavy stress it relies on a substance known as ATP. As you work through a set this substance diminishes and then you can no longer lift another rep at that given set. Creatine converts into a substance that also acts as ATP and thus will potentially allow you to do more reps at that weight. It won't allow you to necessarily go to a heavier weight but the same weight 2 or 3 times more. This can thus lead to increased strength and muscle mass which then allow you to lift more weight. This is a somewhat simplified explanation but should suffice for any who decided to read through this little blurb.

Hope that helped.

Liokault
05-01-2002, 09:00 AM
Try creatine serum instead of the powder....much better in every way.

ElPietro
05-01-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Liokault

I seriously hope you are joking...otherwise you should take a hike. Don't use creatine serum...it's garbage.

Liokault
05-01-2002, 03:16 PM
Why is it garbage? Tell me more.

Merryprankster
05-01-2002, 05:36 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong Ironfist/El Pietro, but aqueous Creatine has this nasty habit of turning into Creatinine over time--as in 20 minutes. Creatinine is useless to the body and just get's flushed out. There are ways to stabilize the creatine but it's not foolproof.

So the serum won't be worth what you paid for.

BTW, pretty much what IronFist said. I made very serious strength gains, but the weight gain from the water retention (in the muscle--hydration there is GOOD) wasn't worth it...I'm in a weight class sport, after all!!!

And really, if you're going to do intense cardio type stuff, drink 2 gallons, like he said. I was thirsty constantly.

Iron--do you really mean that creatine didn't help endurance? Or were you specifically referring to TRUE endurance activities (long distance running, etc) I found that my anaerobic conditioning was helped just a tad.

IronFist
05-01-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by me
Oh yeah, stay away from creatine serum. It isn't any better, in fact, it's worse. Creatine is not stable in liquid form, so why the hell would anyone sell it that way?

Then, posted by Liokault:

Ok, let me write it in bold so you see it this time. First read the above quote so I don't have to type it again.

Creatine serum is worthless. As far as I know, due to its unstable nature, when you inject creatine serum you are most likely getting less than you think you are. I don't know the exact chemistry behind it, so I'll let ElPietro take over.

Oh yeah, before you tell someone to load Creatine at 30g per day, go back and read what I wrote about that, too.

IronFist

PS. Sorry for the attitude... long day.

ElPietro
05-02-2002, 07:42 AM
Yeah creatine serum has a shelf life of like under an hour. I can't remember which company was the last to make a claim that they had created a new serum that is stable. But I do remember other companies buying it and taking it to the lab and the tests showed less than 2% of the serum was actually creatine. And yes it's creatnine which it converts to which is just a by-product of creatine that just gets urinated out.

Creatine is nice and cheap...just buy the frickin powder. All these sup companies have all these retarded products because they are trying to make it a more lucrative supp. That's why you see things like serum, or cell tech which is just creatine and sugar, and all the other super duper uptake formulas. Go buy some monohydrate powder and save your money.

scannerb2
04-28-2003, 09:47 AM
Slow and low, that is the tempo.

fa_jing
04-28-2003, 12:04 PM
My pops used to do sets of thirty, because he was too cheap to buy more weight, plus he worked out at home in the basement with just a wooden bench with racks that he built. He had 160 pounds, all of which he lifted 3 sets of 30 in Bench press, Squat, Deadlift, Trap raises, and a set of 100 calf raises. In adition to the other exercises with less weight. Anyway, he was a real strong guy in his prime. Although doing all of those reps didn't stop him from getting injured all the time lifting. But he did well in Taekwon Do for a few years, which he did in his 40's.

But of course low reps will give you your gains faster. What you're doing isn't a bad idea, but I doubt it will directly translate to endurance for wing chun. I would suggest punching with 3 to 5 pound dumbells to target that.

With respect to the punching with dumbells, it is important to understand, that you are not training your punch. You are training your shoulders for the endurance and relaxedness they need for Wing Chun. This is because during your training you will have to hold your hands out and high, even when you are exhausted from punching already. You will be executing blocks that at first, require a lot of flexibility from your shoulders and that also tire your shoulders.

Do NOT snap the elbow. You are fighting gravity, so the exercise is for your shoulders, upper back and your biceps and wrists, not for your chest and triceps, nor for your speed or anything else. Stand in a square stance, but stay loose. Throw flat-fisted punches from your shoulder. Variagate with vertical fist chain punches. Throw some low shovel hooks from your hips. Try leaning back and pretending you are hitting a speed bag with the bottom of your fists. You may want to time yourself. You can work it into your cardio workout.

I also highly recommend jumping rope in preparation for Wing Chun. 3 x 3 minute rounds with 1 min rest in between, as a minimum. You may have to build up to it if you haven't done it before.

premier
01-16-2005, 11:26 AM
Old thread resurrected.

What's the correct dosage for creatine? Here I hear 5-10g, but the finnish olympic commitee says after the loading period 2g/day is enough. On the label of the can it says 2grams too. I know loading won't do any good and I won't do it, but is 2g/day insufficient?

Samurai Jack
01-16-2005, 12:19 PM
I take five grams a day.

IronFist
01-16-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by premier
Old thread resurrected.

What's the correct dosage for creatine? Here I hear 5-10g, but the finnish olympic commitee says after the loading period 2g/day is enough. On the label of the can it says 2grams too. I know loading won't do any good and I won't do it, but is 2g/day insufficient?

I've never heard of taking 2g per day. Most people say 5. Two may work, though. I'm not sure.

Oso
01-16-2005, 03:56 PM
I thought the loading bit had been debunked...something about it just doesn't stay in your system long enough for loading to do any good.

I loaded for whatever the jar said to do then dropped back to the 5g a day.

I got so stopped up I didn't **** for 3 days and had abdominal cramps.

This was also the same time I was trying to do a near 1 to 1 protein intake as well so the problems could have been from the high level of protein or a combination. didn't try and scientifically isolate it though.

I did have better workouts during that 10 days or so after the loading phase before I stopped taking it.

From what I read after doing more research, I think I would stick with the syrum and just take it prior to the workout w/ lots of water.

Toby
01-16-2005, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by premier
What's the correct dosage for creatine?Pretty sure it's bodyweight dependent and for me about 3g/day. Search through t-mag. I'm sure that's where I read dosage levels.