PDA

View Full Version : Who would win bare knuckle out of....

londoner2001
04-27-2002, 05:04 AM
A shaolin monk, a top wing chun sifu, a brazilian jiu jitsu instrcutor, muay thai, san shou karate, hapkido etc

Which do you think is best not with gloves i a ring but in knocking someone out in the street?

This should make an interesting discussion!

Tinman
04-27-2002, 05:19 AM
Well, it wouldn't be anyone in kung fu. there to chicken to fight in U.F.C. or any reality fighting. maybe San Shou.

Kickboxing has the best chanch because bare knuckle fights are usally spur of the moment fights and you need a style that is direct.. Not any of that fancy crap.

David Jamieson
04-27-2002, 05:29 AM
In reality there's not to much "fancy" in good effective Kung Fu.

As for the original question, it is a moot point as it is entirely dependent on the individual practitioner.

Style ha sless to do with winning than ability to really use your style. THis ability is dependent entirely upon the individuals training methodology and preparedness to do combat.

As for tournaments, the champion ebb and flow like water. With a new champion sprouting up with every tournament. All different kinds of styles.

San Shou is an element of Kung fu training by the way. Just want to clear that up.

peace

londoner2001
04-27-2002, 05:56 AM
I know san shou is the fulll contact sparring side of kung also known as san da. However originally it was complete bare knucle now not surprisingly there is padding glvoes helmet etc. Unfortunately not a lot of kung fu sifus teach it but san shou is northern as well not southern I do know stuff about it I spent time in Malaysia training in it. What I was saying is as a generalisation out of all the arts which is most reliable in a street fight? I think wing chun is very good due to the parries blocks becoming a reflex action and the punches being extremely powerful and very fast?

David Jamieson
04-27-2002, 06:07 AM
In my experience, street fights pend little on style and more on quick thinking and ability to adapt quickly.

A person with no training but a heart to survive could win a street fight as easily as the next guy.

Training will help you where it is applicable, IE: boxing, kicking, grabs holds and releases etc.

More often than not a weapon comes into play in a street fight. Using the surroundings, like in throwing someone into a wall or swinging someone into a fire hydrant. So many variables occur that the skills need to adapt to the situation cause the situation is certainly not going to "fit" your skills.

Differentiation between what works in the ring, the kwoon/dojo and what will save your butt on the street is very important.
To often I have seen people glaze their minds eye with what they think they can achieve after being in the "school" environment.

The street is not near as safe as your kwoon. The ring is a safer place to be in context to the street.

Anything goes on the street. Most trained fighters don't or rather can't train for all the different variables that can occur in a street altercation. Granted, you will have some grace due to training, but overall it is about heart.

peace

AndyM
04-27-2002, 06:35 AM
I read a couple of interesting definitions of Karate recently!

1/ "The way of the empty mind."

2/ "Karate? Isn't that just left over bits of Kung Fu systems that nobody else wanted anyway?"

Where did you hear about 'San Shou' Karate londoner?

Are you sure it wasn't 'sand shoe'?

AndyM

londoner2001
04-27-2002, 06:59 AM
Left out my comma sorry, meant san shou, karate I have done northern shaolin for 2.5 years I do know a little bit about san shou and also spent a month in malaysia. San Shou in America is nothing like it is over in china behind clsoed doors.

AndyM
04-27-2002, 07:03 AM
I was only teasing you.

From small mistakes, great styles do grow!

San Shou Karate! You heard it here first!!!

Where's that napkin, I need to write down my syllabus?

AndyM

Sharky
04-27-2002, 07:54 AM
Over the rickety rackety bridge...

Kristoffer
04-27-2002, 07:58 AM
*sigh*.. new members :rolleyes:
just kiddin

Xebsball
04-27-2002, 09:37 AM
I'm with the Sharky on this one

Liokault
04-27-2002, 11:38 AM
Ill tell you who would have won as an individual and not as a stylist.....Leney Mclean......in his life time the hardest man alive.

Im not sure if you Americans would have heard of him but im sure that londoner will have.

raving_limerick
04-27-2002, 12:41 PM
The Guv'nor? **** straight, he would have. It's a shame the man's gone to meet his maker. *sigh*

Now, if there wasn't so many ****ed trolls, I'd love to carry this conversation further, but this is my last post on this particular topic.

DelicateSound
04-27-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Liokault
his life time the hardest man alive

Nothing is as beautiful as a completely unprovable, unsubstantiated, unsupported personal viewpoint masquerading as the Word of God [TM]

Sigh.

Liokault
04-27-2002, 02:13 PM
Oh come on DelicateSound this whole forum is about that.

what evidance can there be till every one in the world trains in every style and every way then learns to only use one style and one way at a time then fights every one else in the world one at a time going though each style.

Its all hear say and conjecture.

BUT Leney Mclean took on EVERY one who steped up and knocked most of them out.....What style was he?...A bit of rudimentry boxing but lots of being HUGE and spending a life time fighting every one (and getting shot stabbed etc)

LEGEND
04-27-2002, 02:51 PM
wow...so many new members!

KungFuGuy!
04-27-2002, 03:31 PM
This thread is a dead horse, and rather stupid, but I'm going to give it a serious reply anyways. By the way, he probably meant to put a coma in between "san shou" and "karate", I can't imagine where he'd get the impression that san shou is a form of karate.
The comparison itself is rather flawed, as a monk has the advantage. Their training methods are/were more hardcore than anything anyone else does today. Therefore it could be their emaculate physical condition and qi control that would win the fight, not necassarily their choice of style.

BrentCarey
05-06-2002, 01:33 PM
Who would win in a street fight - the person that spent his time contemplating meaningless scenarios, or the person that spent his time practicing?

Peace,

- B. A. Carey

AndyM
05-06-2002, 02:46 PM
New members not allowed then?

AndyM

oldwolf
05-06-2002, 03:41 PM
Allegedly did go to the US and fought and beat the best the Mathews could produce.