PDA

View Full Version : how do you rate THE ONE , jet li?

lim
04-27-2002, 05:31 AM
Let me know your thoughts on jet li and THE ONE.
What would you rate it out of 10?
Did you feel the story was strong or did it lack that xtra umph that moves many a good film along with the action?

I found the film alright, I liked the idea that when one dies their energy is divided between those that are left in the parralel worlds. Yes it lacked certain qualities but I feel the end fight scene with jet li fighting HIMSELF was quite extrodinary and very well done. I guess I would rate it 7/10 .
Byexxx
:rolleyes: :) :confused:

Kristoffer
04-27-2002, 07:49 AM
I would give it THE ONE outta TEN..
nuff said

[Censored]
04-27-2002, 10:32 AM
No, the fight scene ending Return of the Dragon was "well done". The fight scene in The One belonged on MTV, not in a good kung fu movie.

Zapf Dingbat
04-27-2002, 01:22 PM
2 out of 10. The One was horrible.

Kiss of the Dragon was only slightly better. I would have loved to see the fights, but the horrible camera work didn't allow me to.

Brad
04-27-2002, 05:19 PM
I'd give it a 7

Brad
04-27-2002, 05:23 PM
Story was kind of confusing, but I thought the action was pretty good for a Hollywood movie. Of course Jet's my favorie movie martial artist so I'm biased :-D

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-27-2002, 07:44 PM
i liked it.

helped solidify jackie's position as best martial arts action star.

Kristoffer
04-28-2002, 09:44 AM
helped solidify jackie's position as best martial arts action star.

HELL YEAH!! I'm with GDA on that one :D

Jimbo
04-28-2002, 11:37 AM
I thought The One was okay. I don't know what I'd rate it on a scale of 1 to 10. However, I would rate the Jackie Chan/Benny Urquidez fight in Wheels on Meals as a 10. THe Bruce Lee/Chuck Norris fight at 7. Liu Chia-Liang Vs. Eddie Maher in New Kids in Town I rate at 8.

Jet Li's acting is very awkward in all his American movies, perhaps because he's acting out of his native language...how many American movie stars could learn a whole different language a few years and give award-winning performces either? Li is especially awkward in his scenes with women, always acting repressed (then again, Jackie Chan and Chow Yun-Fat are also made to act that way in their American films. I guess Hollywood isn't ready to see Asian men as actual men/human beings). He seems only comfortable when doing fighting scenes. That is the big weakness for him right now.

If he can improve his acting ability and charisma outside of his fighting, and use less special effects (like in Kiss of the Dragon), I think he has more "action movie star" potential in the U.S. than Jackie Chan, who is getting old and whose fighting in his movies made after Drunken Master II are all the same. Li has more years ahead of him to develop, whereas Jackie Chan's best years are long gone...his best films are better than Li's best, but those are Chan's old films. Now Chan is put into the role of being the exotic straight man and making Owen Wilson and Chris Tucker look good.
Jim

Qi dup
04-29-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by begby

The One was almost as much of a disappointment as the Phantom Menace. :(

Jackie Chan is definitely in the lead now...

Woh, man, I don't know it it's that bad.....

Well, the story and character devolpment needed work. The soundtrack was easily my favorite part.

lotusleaf
05-04-2002, 09:35 PM
I didn't like it that much. At least not as much as Kiss of the Dragon where the wire work was almost non existent. I'm not into that wire work stuff anymore. It's kind of his trademark I guess, and it's good to exploit that, but it gets old. I didn't like the story and the fight scenes weren't Jet Li's greatest either. It was okay to watch, but too much flying around is not good. The story was linear, as usual, so it's not confusing at all. Typical action movie w/ a sci fi theme. I didn't like jason statham's character. If he was meant to be comic relief, he wasn't funny at all. I give it about a 4 out of ten for the action sequences. Nicely done, and Li is an amazing martial artist. I am always in awe as I watch his on screen fights.

As for Jackie Chan being top asian martial arts action star...I think he has reached his peak already at Drunken Master 2. Yet he still amazes me in how he moves and choreographs the scenes. I think he is focusing on less action and more substance in his movies now. I also think he is becoming too much in the Hollywood movie making. He needs to go back to his Hong Kong roots and make another stunning action flick incorporating his better fight scenes and reteam w/ sammo hung and yeun biao.

Just my two cents

jun_erh
05-05-2002, 06:25 AM
I didn't like The One and don't care for most Jackie Chan stuff either. To me Jet Li is like (rapper) Nas. He's super talented but he wastes his talent trying to be a big huge star. Also, it sounds pretentious, but from my experiance alot of the HK action stuff is WAY better on the big scree, particularly Jackie Chan

cho
05-05-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by [Censored]
No, the fight scene ending Return of the Dragon was "well done". The fight scene in The One belonged on MTV, not in a good kung fu movie.

That's it. The One WASN'T a kung fu movie. Just because Jet Li's in it doesn't make it a martial arts film. Maybe he's trying different genres so he isn't typecasted as just an actor in chop-suey flicks.

Jackie Chan is now moving away from action and putting himself up as an actor instead of action-star, like in Georgeous.

jun_erh
05-06-2002, 02:41 PM
The One was no Fist of Legend

Stacey
05-06-2002, 06:30 PM
I thought the ba gua fight scenes were interesting.

It was great for 11-15 year olds.

If was comic book sci fi....I think Jet should have gone with Matrix 2, but thats my opinion.

People came to our school after the movie, so it must have made some kind of impression.

His acting was the best yet...it just wasn't writen well. His acting was good, his fighinting was good and I respect that he is trying new things.

It took balls to say, "NO way matrix, I'm doing my own gig" balls or ego, its hard to tell.

There must be someone out there who

1. can act
2. has charisma
3. is a kick ass martial artist.

From what I saw on discovery Donnie Yen is stuck doing crap in france. I'd like to see a jet donnie cross over again. We need more duelling kung fu masters.

jun_erh
05-07-2002, 11:45 AM
Stacey, would you agree Bruce Lee has been the best so far?