PDA

View Full Version : ab wheels

ged
04-28-2002, 12:18 AM
whats the correct form for that exercise where you roll into a flat position using a wheel? in particular, how do you prevent your lower back from hurting? i had no problems with this for a few weeks, then i tried to pick up a friend while i was drunk and pulled a lower back muscle... its gotten better, but i can still feel it hurting when i go back to this ab wheel thing.

any sites/form tips?
thanks

ged
04-29-2002, 10:41 PM
thanks for the post, inic. im pretty much forced to do them on my knees anyway, i dont have the abstrength/bodyweight ratio i need to do them on my feet.
when you do the exercise, does your lower back ever hurt?
anyone?

IronFist
04-30-2002, 01:44 AM
I usually feel it in places other than my abs. I can't remember where, though, because I haven't done it in a while and I don't have a wheel here with me. But next time I check, if I remember I'll post it on here.

IronFist

ged
04-30-2002, 03:36 AM
thanks dude. anytime is cool.

Bow Dul Fu
04-30-2002, 04:48 AM
Are you talking about the ab wheel used by jacky chan used in he's m,ovie "GORGEOUS"
I mean exactly the same one
not the dodgy ones they sell on tv in those infomercials

CraneFist
04-30-2002, 06:19 AM
You could easily make one with a trip to the hardware store and a few bucks. I basically made mine from an 8" garden tractor wheel and some threaded rod. Basically use threaded rod that fits tightly to the inner diameter of the wheel (cut to length beforehand with a hacksaw of course), then use 2 nuts on each end to make sure the rod will stay in the middle of the wheel. Once your finished, wrap each end of the bar with althetic tape and away you go! I basicallly made mine for $14.00 Canadian, which is like a $1.50 U.S., :D And it works fine, I've even been able to lose 14 inches off my waste in just one short week!! :eek: :eek: Ok, enough of the infomercial.

In regards to the lower back strain, I had the same thing when I first started as well. I could only start on my knees as only after about a year was I able to finally stand up and be able to do one. I suggest starting very slow, keep the reps low and don't try to go to full extension at first. I think in the beginning, my abs were much stronger than my back so it took some time before it was strong enough to handle full extensions. It takes a little time, but it should go away the stronger your back gets. However, if you are injured already, wait until your fully healed up before starting the routine again, as you will just make it worse and have to take even more time off in the long run.

Good luck and Cheers!

IronFist
04-30-2002, 01:33 PM
You can buy one at Champs sports in America for $7.00 Don't pay the infomercial prices.

IronFist

gubo
05-03-2002, 07:55 PM
Cranefist

Can I ask you where in Ontario you are practicing White Crane?
I was just wondering if it's the Fukien White Crane (flying crane) of the Lee family
There was a good article on IKF about it a few months ago...

Bow Dul Fu
05-15-2002, 02:43 AM
thanks for the info on how to make an ab wheel but i would much rather buy one id trust da maunfacturers more than myself in making one of those things ahhaha
does this champ sports store have website for me to order from
thanx:)

vingtsunstudent
05-15-2002, 03:21 AM
yo bud
just go into any oz sports store and ask if they have or can get you one.
i got mine from just a local sports store & i know k-mart used to have them. i don't think they're that hard to find.
vts

CraneFist
05-15-2002, 09:56 AM
Sorry, Gubo, wasn't following this thread, so I didn't see your question until now. I study in Ottawa, and the style is the Li Ja or Li family system. It is very similar to other White Crane systems, pretty much the same principles, and forms. Chin Na is included as well for the grappling aspect, and IMHO it seems to be a pretty complete system. There is another school in Canada (edmonton or winnipeg, not sure) that was started by Steven Li, a senior student of Master Li. If you want any other information just let me know here, or email me at perpetual3am@hotmail.com.

Cheers.

anerlich
05-15-2002, 01:32 PM
Your profile doesn't say where you're from, but if you're in Sydney I've seen ab wheels for sale at Mick Simmons City store in George St.

I made my own, though. a lawnmower wheel and a large threaded bolt. Cost me about $3 instead of the $25 Mick Simmons wanted.

Bow Dul Fu
05-18-2002, 05:04 AM
sorri aint form around tehre

anerlich
05-19-2002, 04:54 AM
between Market and Park, near Town Hall, opposite QVB

Bow Dul Fu
05-20-2002, 03:53 AM
one im looking for like the one in "gorgeous" not like the dodgy ones in the infomercials:)