PDA

View Full Version : What would scare ME. Spin of of MPS'

Merryprankster
04-27-2002, 05:57 PM
OK.

Enough with the theory--here's what really would scare me, as primarily a "grappler," in an opponent:

Accurate, heavy hands.
Excellent sprawl.
Excellent defense against throws.
Razor sharp knees.
Knows how to get back up safely.
Excellent submission defense.

This would be a VERY bad day for me. The rest of the stuff I can handle, but this particular combination of skills would make my life a living hell.

Well, in an unarmed individual anyway. I would really hate to meet a knifefighter, a guy with Gun-Fu or 30 friends :)

Chang Style Novice
04-27-2002, 06:09 PM
I'd really be scared of a dude with a sawed off shotgun tripping on PCP who happens to be an HR Giger Alien with hydrochloric acid for blood.

And just about anybody who was more concerned with harming me than their own safety.

Ryu
04-27-2002, 06:29 PM
Merry, I'm scared of Igor Vocanchian too. :)

Ryu

beautifulvaley
04-27-2002, 07:43 PM
sounds like your scary guy is tai chi merry

Narf Narf

Black Jack
04-27-2002, 07:53 PM
For me its these type of guys, I will take the NHB guy anyday over the real deal.

http://crimelibrary.com/serial11/hadden/

or the Ice Man

http://crimelibrary.com/serial10/kuklinski/

Ryu
04-27-2002, 08:33 PM
Dear God, BlackJack... I shouldn't have read the story that went along. I really don't think its a sin to kill "people" like them.

Ryu

Black Jack
04-27-2002, 08:48 PM
Sorry Ryu,

I was going to post a warning but I figured that might ruin the real shock of what this creature was and how there are animals like him, pretending to be human.

The story is very unbearble to think about and it comes on very quick, one of the reasons why I picked it, my point being that IMHO martial arts/self presevation physical skills are only as good as the mindset behind them, does just training for the ring give you this outlook, the physical skills maybe, but what about that dose of reality.

Here is a question, if you, I or anyone of us happened to walk into that room as Hadden was throwing this poor baby down onto the floor and ready to gut her with his knifes, do you think that you would be able to take him?

Scary stuff, scary stuff indeed.:confused:

rogue
04-27-2002, 09:03 PM
You d am n well better take him out, and for good. Very dangerous.

“The smell of decaying fish permeated the house and was extremely difficult to eradicate,” the charging document read. Yet, the combination of a gun possession charge and vandalism set off no alarm bells about the man the local cops had once--albeit briefly--suspected of killing a six-year old girl.

That's just pathetic, but this is worse.

" TO ANY POLICE OFFICER:

I want the help of my lawyer, Donald P. Salzman
and I want my lawyer to be present before I answer any questions about my case or any other matters.

I do not wish to speak to anyone concerning any
criminal charges pending against me or anyone else, or
any criminal investigation regardless of whether I am
charged.

I do not want to be in any lineup, or give any
handwriting samples, or give any blood, hair, urine,
or any other samples unless my lawyer is present.

My lawyer’s address and phone number are:

Donald P. Salzman
Assistant Public Defender
Office of the Public Defender
27 Courthouse Square
Rockville, Maryland 20850
(301) 279-1372} "

Ryu
04-27-2002, 09:13 PM
You know, being "shocked" is I think the real downfall in a self-defense situation. You do need the right mindset. You need the right awareness and the right way of understanding criminal and violent behavior. I think it was Silva who got carjacked in Brazil...awareness stops things like that not martial arts.

The Reality vs. Sport argument has been done to death.
And I really think the two should merge. There are so many "reality" schools who don't spar and don't teach athleticism...how can you possibly be realistic if you aren't in shape??
There are lots of NHB people who think anyone who isn't in a ring is wasting their time....like it means they don't grapple, spar, box, etc.

Everyone (especially on the internet) is an "expert" and has an opinion. But when it comes down to it, the real situations I've been in I've seen much more opportunity to use tactics taught by people like Sammy Franco and Richard Dimitri then anything else.
And it's not "martial arts" It's de-escalation stances, first strikes, etc. I give their material a lot of credit actually. I use it too.

If you want to call yourself a "reality" martial artist you have to spar (no exceptions) you have to grapple (no exceptions) you have to box (no exceptions) and you have to know how to use weapons, and guns. You have to know how to deal with encroachments, victim "interviews", stalking, passive and aggressive encroachment, sucker punching, hidden weapons, and the realities of how and why fights start, what kinds of places most have them, etc. I don't frequent bars and clubs a lot, but the few times that I do I always enjoy observing how people act. Alcohol is the #1 reason for violence. By not drinking I'll at least always have my mind and judgment in check.

I don't know where I'm going with this. :( LOL Just that my goals are realistic self-defense. I'm interested in protecting myself in real altercations. I'm not interested in competition, but that does NOT mean competitive training is not realistic. In my mind competitive training, lifting weights, being athletic, sparring, grappling full contact is the "vehicle" you need to make the other things work. But when someone gets in your face, and you immediately drop down into a vale tudo stance....that might be the most fatal mistake you could have made depending on the situation. The mindset IS the key. You're absolutely right about that. Some people are sincerely thinking about self-defense and they train very realistically for it. They spar basically the same way NHB people fight. They do things full contact, and with athleticism in mind. You should do it that way.

sigh...

if I walked in on them? I hope I would have a gun. :)
If not.... I at least know I train the best I can for right now. Training with "aliveness" gives you the understanding of how your body reacts in a crisis....

........but I know I'm not Superman....

All we can do is keep training, and keep looking for the best ways to train.

Speaking of which, I think I'll put in some solo practice in for two hours or so.

Ryu

Stacey
04-27-2002, 09:28 PM
wow, what a hard job detective work must be. A man confessed falsly about his own daughter because he flipped out at her dissapearence. Wow. As for the killer, he's way off kilter. For his own good he needs to die. I don't think any sane man could do that and personally, If I were that insane, I would would want to be killed. It doesn't register that someone could do such things with no guilt. I guess thats a psycopath for ya, but I just can't see it. How can anyone think that way? Its as perplexing as it is horrific.

Black Jack
04-27-2002, 09:43 PM
Ryu,

Good post, I agree bro, you need both, the athletics, the sparring time and the reality based training of violent crime.

Just so you know, as I did not mean for that to come out wrong, that was NOT a jibe at NHB. I 110% respect those guys, it was more of a comment directed towards a specific field of thought, my point and I apologize to Merry for taking his post in another direction, was that my idea of a "scary" opponent is something of that nature, the type of scare where I make sure my eyes and ears are always open.

Rogue,

Yeah, that is freakin pathetic. Makes one want to vomit up there dinner.

Stacey
04-27-2002, 09:52 PM
I am completely disturbed after reading that....I have heard of horrible things, I have seen horrible things, but that takes the cake. At times in his life he looked normal....ok his parents were weirdos, but so are other people's and they dont' do that. Its as if his very soul had a lobotomy. In older times we would have said that he was possesed by demons...I think that explanation is the best.

I feel sad for his victims and sad for him.....he's Gollum from Lord or the Rings. No really, think about if you have read it....Power(external) has mastered him and made him sick.

Even nice hobitesses like that woman who hired him as a gardener can be lead into a spider's liar.

Sometimes mythology is the best at explaining such horrors.

yu shan
04-27-2002, 10:08 PM
Confidence and the war face!

DelicateSound
04-28-2002, 04:46 AM
Ryu I agree - I would have no qualms about destroying someone like that. Anger isn't the world. People like that sicko should be ripped in half by man-eating tigers.

And I really think the two should merge.

Pretty sure Peter Consterdine does that kind of stuff.

DelicateSound
04-28-2002, 04:58 AM
Merryprankster said:

Enough with the theory--here's what really would scare me, as primarily a "grappler," in an opponent:

Accurate, heavy hands.
Excellent sprawl.
Excellent defense against throws.
Razor sharp knees.
Knows how to get back up safely.
Excellent submission defense.

OK. Well as a "striker", here's what'd scare me most.

*Good "loin throws" [Term?] i.e. Harai-goshi, Uchi-mata etc. I can defend the tackle fine, but if someone can get through my [****-poor] close defense and get me with one of those bad-boys - I'm f*cked!

*Ability to do the above while taking blows.

*Ability to close the gap with speed without resorting to the clinch.

Anyone think of anymore? I guess MPS's post was more relevant on a KungFu forum, but what the hell, that was hijacked hours ago! :D

respectmankind
04-29-2002, 12:03 AM
hmmm, any grappler would scare, me, i am built for it, or so it may look, although striking comes natural and thats the way i train. well, in a actually fight i wouldn't fearf a grappler at all so meh. hmmm, as far as stats go, i use alot of full body driving, and although i am really good at doing weight shifting and can go with someone redirecting me and be fine, someone whos skill in it that negates my skill would be what would be teh scarriest to me. hmmm.. as far as what chang said, i hit myself with tasers and metal pipes for fun, does that count? :), haha, i know i am a retard, but look at it this way, i could beat the hell out of anyone at the special olympics when i qualify.

Budokan
04-29-2002, 06:20 AM
I would be scared of someone with razor sharp knees, too.

Merryprankster
04-29-2002, 06:58 AM
Ryu-

Your post reflects my sentiments on the issue exactly. What I do is SPORT. I suffer absolutely no illusions about that. I don't train for weapons. I don't train for awareness. Don't practice defusing or any of that stuff--have to rely on my own abilities for that. The only thing I really harp on is that training sportively REALLY gets your fighting skills down.

beautifulvaley--nope, I'm not scared of a Tai Chi guy any more than I'm scared of an MT guy with a good sprawl. I'm scared of a guy with the skills I described.

DS--I have a passable uchimata :)

Ryu
04-29-2002, 07:11 AM
"The only thing I really harp on is that training sportively
REALLY gets your fighting skills down. "

I absolutely agree with that.

Ryu

DelicateSound
04-29-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
DS--I have a passable uchimata :)

Passable is OK for me. I have a passable tomoe-nage, but I'll be darned if I'll use it :D

Merryprankster
04-29-2002, 07:36 PM
DS,

I can throw people who are shorter than me, and it's become one of my favorite counters to the single leg in a gi. I threw my first pretty one about 3 weeks ago with a perfect "Hoochy-mama," as my buddy and I like to call it--I even used the classic "Open them up and out, turn and reap" from Japanese Judo. Usually, I hit a much more Eastern European type with a high over the back grip and a sleeve :)

If somebody is taller than me... forget it!!!

Ryu,

Remind me to tell you a funny story about my sparring on Sunday sometime.