PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again....

Kevin Barkman
04-30-2001, 04:25 AM
What is it with the Southern Mantis guys and their posts against other short hand arts? First they were slagging Dragon (and Lam Yiu Kwai)- now it is Bak Mei!

In the most recent "Dragon List" issue, in an article by a Dr. Marty Eisen, Sam Dart, a small, frail looking young man (who couldn't even learn kung fu because he was so weak) one day went out in the forest and watched the movements of the praying mantis bug, then went back to his monastery and laid a severe beating on a huge, powerful White Eyebrow expert (no doubt Bak Mei himself)!

This was to have taken place roughly 180 years ago - I guess Bak Mei was around hundreds of years before SPM was born(thats a new one to me)?!?

Are these the stories that the SPM folks have to pass on to their students to bolster a flagging membership?

Stay tuned for next month, where the SPM historians reveal how Sam Dart in fact travelled back in time to punish Hung Sei Kwun for his arrogance in thinking the tiger was superior to the praying mantis!

P.S. - I should mention that I have nothing but the highest respect for SPM and especially Master Gin Foon Mark. I am only questioning the motivation of those people who post such stories in the public domain. My teachers always insisted that anything I write about my own style, internally or externally, should never mention other Arts - but only deal with the Art I was writing about.

P.P.S. - I truly did enjoy the rest of the article!

[This message was edited by Kevin Barkman on 04-30-01 at 07:39 PM.]

Falcor
04-30-2001, 06:33 AM
What is this "Dragon List" - is there a URL for it?

...don't think you are, know you are...

Self-Thinking Follower
05-01-2001, 01:19 AM
Kevin, the southern mantis people I know have a lot of respect for white eyebrow and many have actually trained in this art as well. I wont mention any names but even a number of Lum Sang's own close door disciples have studied this art. I have never heard of this tale but I have heard that there was a possibility that Hung Mei (aka-Sam Dat) and Bak Mei may have been classmates under one specific master. No doubt Mark, sifu is good but some of the stories comming from him use to **** off his own late sifu. Of course this is hearsay. ;)