PDA

View Full Version : Sword finger

batesy
04-28-2002, 12:13 PM
I was asked today what the PRACTICAL use of the sword finger (index & middle finger extended together, other fingers curled) seen in taiji/bagua straight sword forms is, any thoughts folks? I've heard/read stuff about balancing qi etc, does anyone have any practical explanations?
thanks

dedalus
04-28-2002, 08:03 PM
The fingers can be indicative of a knife or dagger. My instructor teaches a Yang form in which we actually do wield a small knife in the left hand... it can be quite tricky to coordinate. I doubt you could decipher the appropriate movements from the more recent versions of the sword form, though.

bamboo_ leaf
04-28-2002, 08:38 PM
Balancing the chi is not practical?

Fencers use the other hand to balance their movements. I think if you think of the use of the jin in this way. A more understandable reasoning may come to mind.

No_Know
04-29-2002, 03:26 AM
As the body performs different movements, it has different stresses. The stresses come from the center places. The stresses go outward. They muchly go along and through the limbs. Different hand formations make/channel the stress differently--like frequencies of a radio machine. Sword fingers seems to focus/finetune the body frequency durring at least certain movements. Keeping in contact at the wrist with Sword fingers completes the circuit and might revitalise the practitioner. This energy continues as long the practioner does--cynergy. Theoretically, the energy-type-whatevercan be directed by completeing the circuit with the target by the sword or Sword fingers.

Repulsive Monkey
04-29-2002, 04:21 AM
It's probably not exactly the response you want but Sword fingers traiditionally is very efficaious for healing Qi Gong along with the mind-intent a directing it into peoples bodies.

batesy
04-29-2002, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the replies folks, just for the record I'm not personally antagonistic to the idea of balancing the qi I merely ask for practical applications on behalf of my questioner. Thanks again.

MaFuYee
04-29-2002, 08:37 PM
i don't think it would be very practical to use your two fingers to attack someone, if that is what you are getting at... especially if you've got a frickin sword in your other hand.

couldn't it just be that the creator of the form thought it might look nicer than putting your left hand in your pocket?

TenTigers
05-01-2002, 09:43 AM
This is coming from a southern gung-fu backround: although broadsword and gim are somewhat long, they are considered short weapons and are played in very close. Besides for energy balance, and projection, the free hand and the sword finger is also used to strike vital points, and to trap, or otherwise check and immobilize the opponent.

Victor
05-02-2002, 11:31 AM
The two finger sword hand has a subtle use, beyond merely striking with the tips of the fingers (which I don't mean to discount).

The use actually rests in the last two fingers, bent back. The bent knuckles of those last two fingers can be used as a sap to deliver one 'hell' of a strike.

A primary area would be the carotid sinus of the neck (or ST9 if you prefer).

What looks like the two fingers striking the side of the neck, is a bit of misdirection, actually the last two fingers roll into the carotid sinus for the KO or knock down.

There are other striking applications inherent too, but this might give you enough to play around with.

Just be careful, it can really hurt somebody, unless that is your intent.

Victor Smith
Bushi No Te Isshinryu (and 25 years of Yang study)

shaolinboxer
05-02-2002, 01:28 PM
Extension of chi to the finger tips allows for movement to extent beyond the point of attack. It can be used to lead and redirect your opponents chi.

There is a popular saying in aikido "move from your finger tips". If you extend relaxed energy all the way to the tips of your fingers, you can blend in with your opponent and seize control.

The two finger point is a popular meathod of extending chi, but the full open hand works even better.

Fu-Pow
05-02-2002, 04:54 PM
I've noticed that I can feel "peng" energy in my middle and index finger. I wonder if this has anything to do with it.

dedalus
05-03-2002, 01:07 AM
I stumbled across an article that discusses the possibility of an actual knife being weilded in the left hand. It's an EM piece called "The Deadly and Deceptive Hands of Taijiquan" published on Dragon's List here (http://www.dragonslist.com/issues/?issueid=47) .Scan down to the "Sword" subheading.

Ma Fu Yee, I once saw a guy practising a straight sword form with a cigarette in one hand - very Parisian, no?

dezhen2001
05-03-2002, 02:21 AM
couldn't the other hand be used to hold the scabbard and use it to help block and strike?

david

batesy
05-03-2002, 02:32 AM
A big thankyou for all the replies people, lots of food for thought, much appreciated.

KC Elbows
05-03-2002, 05:37 AM
As I don't practice tai chi swordplay(yet), I'm speaking out of my arse here, but that usually doesn't stop me.

Could it also be a way to keep the other hand near the action in case the opportunity arises to trap the other player's sword hand and free up your own blade? I know this doesn't necessarily explain the specific hand posture(unless the curled fingers would be used not just for striking, but to grab the opponent's sword arm?), but its a potential use, no?

If that's rediculous, please break it to my arse gently.

kungfu cowboy
05-03-2002, 02:08 PM
I remember reading soething along the lines that it was used to ward off evil spirits and Ed McMahon.