PDA

View Full Version : ATTN shuai chiao and Judo players

SevenStar
04-28-2002, 12:43 PM
When you train solo, what does your training consist of? I don't mean traching yourself, I mean when you are at home without a partner, what do you do?

Stacey
04-28-2002, 01:05 PM
From a beggining8 step perspective,

pulley specific throwing at the weight room. Shuai Chiao style. I usually do all the weight from a low horse to a bow stance with a waist twist. I use the wrist size wrope extension for the grip. We also throw heavy bags, picking them up, sweeping and throwing them.

Continious forms for shuai chiao..I've seen jujitsu folks do similar things.

Tai Chi or horse stance training.

eight endurances, such as rhino looks at the moon or flying swallow

DelicateSound
04-28-2002, 02:06 PM
I used to take a soft Fender Gigbag [guitar case] and stuff it with pillows. The two shoulder straps functioned as sleeve grips, the upright strap as a lapel grip. It was a little short at shy of 5'1, but hell, so are some partners.

Try it. Cheaper than a G-Man, and almost as good!!

Apart from that, you can't grapple at home. One reason I don't grapple anymore.

Royal Dragon
04-28-2002, 02:21 PM
I'm just a rank beginner in the style, but on my own I work on basic structure. Also, I have back problems, an I have found that some of the basic posture exercises are GREAT for my back, so I have been working mostly on those and other basic drills.

SevenStar
04-28-2002, 02:50 PM
yeah, pulleys are excellent

Ryu
04-28-2002, 02:55 PM
I lift weights or used to do set ins against a tree ala Kimura :)

Solo training now consists of lots of different shadow boxing routines, and ground pound drills with wrestling dummies, "BOB" opponent bags, etc. A great workout that can really transfer over into reality well IMO

Ryu

SevenStar
04-28-2002, 03:13 PM
set ins?

Stranger
04-28-2002, 03:30 PM
set ins= working the entry portion of the throw

with a live partner you might take it as far as breaking their balance or lifitng their weight, but not going all the way through the throw

PaulLin
04-28-2002, 03:31 PM
If the distance is not long, you can pushing your car rather than driving it:D Just joking, don't do that.

PaulLin
04-28-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Stacey
From a beggining8 step perspective,

pulley specific throwing at the weight room. Shuai Chiao style. I usually do all the weight from a low horse to a bow stance with a waist twist. I use the wrist size wrope extension for the grip. We also throw heavy bags, picking them up, sweeping and throwing them.

when you twist your horse stance into bow, is your leading foot(the 70% weighted one) has its toes pointed inwards or out wards? This is one major differences between ShuaiChiao and 8 steps.

Continious forms for shuai chiao..I've seen jujitsu folks do similar things.

Tai Chi or horse stance training.

eight endurances, such as rhino looks at the moon or flying swallow

foundation drills alway the best, you can strap weights on the wrests and ankels, like 5 to 10 lbs, doing drills and forms.

PaulLin
04-28-2002, 03:40 PM
I often do Xing-Yi and BaGua walking whenever I am walking. If I am carrying some thing, I will carry them in ShuaiChaio postion and grib.

Stacey
04-28-2002, 04:45 PM
Paul Lin, we do toes out for throwing

for the weight drill, I keep my feet planted and only move my waist....I don't want to hurt my ankle.

PS.....Paul...I actually did push my truck for training. I got on an old abandoned road and pushed it. I would start in a horse on a gravel surface and push up into a bow to move it..push it about 20 feet and start again.

It was very cheap training for me.

I also filled a punching bag with sand to about 300lbs, but I couldn't properly throw it.

Paul...I also walk this way, through a crowd of people ba gwa bu is especially helpfull.

I am trying to develop something for grip and total body strength. Somehing like a grapplin dummy that has clothes. This way you are developing a good grabbing grip, pulling them in and throwing. For now, humans are cheaper.

For shuai chiao practice, what do you all do?

My friends and I get together after class and dress in good will clothes. I got a suit from the 80's for 3 dollars, so I wore that, another guy bought a jump suit and another a dress (don't ask) anyways we played shuia chiao just doing for the throws and struggling. It was very very hard to get the throws off. Next practice we will wear grappling gloves so we can strike and then throw, the way it was meant to be.

How about you guys? What do you train in/with....I'm guessing its not a tuxedo....or a blouse.

MonkeySlap Too
04-28-2002, 07:19 PM
Well, besides the forms / postures / belt cracking / apparatus stuff, I have an old truck tire attached to 20' of 3 inch thick rope. I put weights inside a basket on top of the tire, and using different postures I pull or drag the tire up and down a hill. I also use it to practice proper structure for pulling techniques.

I also have an old canvas bag full of rocks...

Oh yeah, I push my buddies truck around the parking lot too. On the downward incline I do push ups into it.

May favorite though - is to use bicycle innertubes - tie the to a pole and practice 'throwing' - both upper body throws and sweeps.

SevenStar
04-28-2002, 07:42 PM
I like that tire idea

MonkeySlap Too
04-28-2002, 09:47 PM
I thought you would like it. They are right up your alley. Just remember to breath throughout - especially at that point when you just can't imagine going any further. If you don't keep breathing - you'll hurl.

Water Dragon
04-29-2002, 08:41 AM
This may be a good topic to put on the mailing list ;)

PaulLin
04-29-2002, 08:49 PM
Another joke,

Use bao lifting technique to lift up furnitures at home when cleaning under them.

Put on the parking shift when pushing the car.

always pull the door open like pulling a opponent, besure to put an extra tough spring on the hinge. you can do that to your company's doors too.

wearing a roped bucket on your neck in front, with your kid sit in it, stand in postures.

tie your full-of-coins-piggy-banks on your arms and legs and practice forms.

playing catch-this-if-you-can with a pit-bull and don't let that dog touch you.

I woundn't say don't try these this time, just on your own risk.

brassmonkey
04-29-2002, 08:58 PM
thanks for the warning on the pitbull