PDA

View Full Version : Great fighters makes mistakes too!

old jong
04-29-2002, 07:10 AM
I watched pride yesterday and I was looking forward to see Mario Sperry in action.I was expecting the "Zen Machine" to win with great ease but instead I saw him lose with great class!...I don't know if he does that to show off or if it is a strategy but his "wild punching" is not very good for him when he is facing a good striker who is not affraid!...He got tagged everytimes he did it and was almost knocked out two times. I know about his awesome grappling skills but he should maybe learn a thing or two about striking. Simple things like sinking the elbows a little and occuping the center line with the punches would help him a great deal when he decides to charge like a blind bull!
But, I have to raise my hat to him because,he almost won the fight even if his energy was drained out of him by these quasi knock out.He would have won easyly if he would have not made these mistakes.
Btw, I don't really like those kind of competition but,I like to watch and learn about what these guys like to do in a fight.

fightfan
04-29-2002, 07:33 AM
OJ, youre absolutely right!
Sperry really should consider working on his stand up MUCH more. Thats definately his weakness. I think if he did he would take his fights to another level.
Murillo Ninja's BJJ game is insane too though. And on top of that he is a awesome kickboxer.
It was hard for me to pick a favorite because I like them both a lot. Good fight!

Xebsball
04-29-2002, 08:27 AM
Chute Boxe dominates becouse they come from the South Region of Brazil.

HA!
:D

old jong
04-29-2002, 06:45 PM
Come on you bunch of grapplers!...:D

Merryprankster
04-29-2002, 08:04 PM
Old Jong,

I think you'll be hard pressed to find anybody who saw that fight who disagrees with you :)

I'm not sure "dominating the centerline," was the ONLY way to do things, but it's one way.

IMO, his mistake was to trust his boxing skills. I mean, good for him for trying them out, but he should have just stuck to hands high for defense and shooting...I don't trust my boxing!!! (yet)

And Ninja is no slouch :)