PDA

View Full Version : Internal Martial Artist wins Jiu Jitsu tournament

Phantom Menace
04-29-2002, 10:14 AM
Just a little celebrating here...Tim Cartmell won his first ever brown belt fight in the West Coast biggest Jiu Jitsu tournament, the Copa Pacifica.

Nexus
04-29-2002, 10:40 AM
Any more details on that? He competed against BJJ or was it a BJJ tournament?

Esteban
04-29-2002, 12:38 PM
http://www.cleberjiujitsu.com/events.html
http://www.onthemat.com/copa-four-2000.html

blacktaoist
04-29-2002, 01:38 PM
Good Job Tim.

Esteban I have a question, on the movie clips of the Jiu Jitsu tournament from the links you put, why did the competitors not use any strikes? Is the Jiu Jitsu tournament only wrestling?(groundfighting)

Phantom Menace
04-29-2002, 02:58 PM
Jiu Jitsu tournaments are stand-up and ground grappling with the gi. Usually fighters do judo throws or wrestling take downs.

blacktaoist
04-29-2002, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the reply Phantom Menace.

Esteban
04-29-2002, 09:08 PM
Hi Blacktaoist,

sorry, I was out most of today. Phantom Menace is right, in general. Afaik, in "sport" bjj, strikes are an "illegal tactic." In the somewhat more advanced "abu dhabi" style competition, they're illegal too. But, as PM knows, the use of the forearm is sometimes almost a strike. In pro or freestyle, like NHB, then strikes are legal. In vale tudo, with no gi, everything goes. Well, the rule structure is similar for Chinese shuaijiao: i.e., competitors wear a kind of gi and aren't permitted to strike. In the non-sport version, there are lots of strikes. Tim, if I remember right, also did some shuaijiao and incorporates it into his ima. It gives a very useful perspective on tcc.

Respects,
Esteban

count
05-01-2002, 08:49 PM
You said he won the tournament. Or just a fight? Did he have more than one fight that night? If so, I must know, did he fight knifefighter? They are both brown belts and I think knifefighter is only a little lighter than Tim. How about some more details?;)

Sum Guye
05-02-2002, 11:17 AM
The guy Tim fought was 10-15 pounds heavier than Tim. The guy
didn't make the weight class so they put Tim up against him as
a special class. It was Tim's only fight that day.

Unfortunately, I missed the first 30 seconds of the stand-up game because a toddler fell off the upper bletchers and landed (loudly) on his head on the gym floor. There was a lot of commotion and general concern. By the time things settled down Tim and his opponent were already clinched. (the toddler, after a C.A.T. scan, is fine). The fighters and the ref were oblivious to the accident.

Tim won on vantage points. His opponent withstood a long and painful triangle choke, knee bar and an excruciating (to watch) ankle lock before the match ended.