PDA

View Full Version : Sotis, AMOK knife system. Any good?

Serpent
04-29-2002, 09:01 PM
This guy is going to be nearby me soon running some seminars and I was thinking of checking it out. Is this knife defence system any good? Anyone have any experience with Sotis and his methods? Thanks a lot.

Eddie
04-30-2002, 12:56 AM
Serpent,
Sotis' amok system is pretty **** good. I have a friend who is a study leader in one of his groups, and they are pretty effective with their knives.

If Im not mistaken, I heared somewhere that they now incorporated AMOK into the EWTO sylabis (and they clame to teach the eastern Europian Armies including the famous Dutch Royal Brigade and the French foreign legion).

TaoBoxer
04-30-2002, 11:54 AM
Tom Sotis is a good guy and an exceptional martial artist. I had the pleasure of training Kun Tao with him several years ago (prior to the AMOK incarnation). this was then the International Bladerfighters Guild was just getting going.

He had a policy then (and he still may) that if any student had financial difficulties, just let him know privately. He would waive your tuition indefinetly. He is a quality guy.

All that being said..... I do have a problem with the AMOK image. If you look at their website, the logo is a blade dripping blood. The term Amok even is a SE asian term meaning to go crazy and vicously attack. God forbid I ever had to use my blade, I'd hate to have the DA find an AMOK membership card in my wallet......

All in all...take the seminar. You'll learn a lot.