PDA

View Full Version : Question about Black Dragon Style

Ronin9844
04-30-2002, 01:22 AM
Howdy all,
I don't know where I'm supposed to put this ( southern or northern section of the forum) so I'm just gonna ask it here.
Does anyone do Black Dragon Style Kung Fu? I'm thinking about taking it with my friend over this summer but I have never before heard of this style. Is it a rarer form of Dragon Kung Fu? Is it just another name for Dragon Kung Fu or what? I would check the school out myself but I attend school in a different state so I haven't yet had the oppurtunity. I was just wondering about what exactly it was.
Also, I do Wah Lum right now, and I was curious as to how that would either benefit or hurt my training in Black Dragon.
If anyone could help out, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

David Jamieson
04-30-2002, 05:03 AM
"Black Dragon" is more of a school name than a style.

Lung Ying is not so commonly offered as a style as there are not many teachers who offer it and Dragon style overall has apparently fragmented a little over the centuries.

Anyway, back in the 70's there was this guy named "count dante" who advertised himself as the "most danegerous man alive" on the back of comic books. He had a club called the "black dragon society". Thought he was a ninja he did. He still has a following though :rolleyes:

The city I used to live in had a "black dragon" Kung Fu school also, but that was also in the seventies and eighties and all they taught was the original contemporary wu shu of the post cultural revolution before the sets were standardized again in the 90's. He still has a school teaching wu shu.

Anyway, "Black Dragon" is a school name. Black Dagon isn't really recognized as a style. Unless someone made it up or created it and called it black dragon, which is possible. PLenty of people "make stuff up or create stuff" to fill gaps or to add to prior knowledge. It's how it's always been done from the moment someone thought up a martial art. The trick to this process is that you must know what you are doing of course. This is evident in the content, logic and guiding principles of a style. But I digress...

peace

Ronin9844
04-30-2002, 09:18 AM
Ahh. Thanks.

MaFuYee
04-30-2002, 09:47 PM
and, don't forget ron "the black dragon" van clief.

sanjia
05-01-2002, 06:04 AM
There was a 'Black Dragon Kung Fu' school in LA Chinatown, the old part with the square.
I know someone who went there and trained...............
.......I'll ask him