PDA

View Full Version : Left Handed Style

ji way lung
04-30-2002, 02:40 AM
does anyone know the name of that kung fu style which is left handed by default? i thought it was called hung fut, fut gar or something like that. or it could be choy mok, but couldn't find any information on it. help!

FIRE HAWK
04-30-2002, 03:18 AM
It is called Hung Fut .

RENEGADE_MONK
04-30-2002, 04:24 AM
Hung Fut' website Sifu Tai Yim (http://www.kungfu1.com)

Hope this helps

R.I.P ARH

ji way lung
04-30-2002, 04:41 AM
Hello thanks for the responses. None of the Hung Fut sites talk about it being left handed though. I remember seeing one of those sites with information on many styles (wugar.com for example, but they took down the style I was looking for) and it talks about the uniqueness of it being left handed by default.

brothernumber9
04-30-2002, 06:23 AM
the hungfut style is considered a left-hand style. One of the reasons is that the practitioner often faces an opponent left side forward. This would be unorthodox to conventional right side fighters, although there may be other styles that favor the same.

Hung fut also has a left hand (one arm) form where the right hand is secured behind the back of the practitioner and all hand techniques are done with the left hand only. There is however a style that this ideal was adopted from, one of it's masters became known as "one armed immortal nun". I don't remember the name of the style but I can get it and post it later.
there are other facets as well why hung fut is considered a left-hand style.

hope this helps...I'll find the name of the style I implied and post it soon.

dezhen2001
04-30-2002, 06:37 AM
was it hung fut that also has a 'left handed' pole set, whatever that means...?

good luck with ur search,

david

RENEGADE_MONK
04-30-2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by dezhen2001
was it hung fut that also has a 'left handed' pole set, whatever that means...?

Yes, its called Mad Devil Staff named after Hung Ju Sing his nickname being"White haired Devil."

Why does Hung Fut put an emphasis on the left hand?
The left hand is used similair to the way boxing uses the left hand as a quick setup technique, Hung Fut uses the left hand to draw an opponent to the left hand while the right hand does the damage, The idea is most people are right handed and will initially attack with their right hands. When a Hung Fut person steps to the left of that right punch and blocks it with his left hand, he has closed any opening for the opponent to use his own left hand as a follow-up, also when a Hung Fut player blocks he pushes his opponents right arm to the left which forces the opponents body to turn to that direction. of course all this is dependent on the skill level of the practitioner, but this should give you an idea on the principle/concept of why Hung Fut is primarily a left-handed system

brothernumber9
04-30-2002, 11:23 AM
All hungfut staff forms are considered left handed, meaning the left hand is to the front of long techniques such as smashes and pokes, however that is not unique to just hungfut, and hungfut staff forms very frequently use both ends of the staff although I've only seen three different forms, hung je guan, chun yung bagua guan, and small mad devil staff, there are several other hungfut pole forms and is possible that one may be called left hand staff form, I'll have to check on that.

SwaiingDragon
04-30-2002, 01:28 PM
Are there any hung fut school in the new york area?

hakka jai
05-03-2002, 02:14 AM
The left handed form is called Dok bay kune which is performed with the student's right arm pinned against his/her'sback.

Hung fut's famous left handed pole form goes by the name Fung mor cheung (fung mor staff).

brothernumber9
05-03-2002, 09:48 AM
Sifu Jai teaches Hungfut in NYC. General info at
www.taosource.or/sif8.htm

some hungfut students from NY also post at
groups.yahoo.com/group/hungfutclub

I'm sure any questions you have could be answered between the two