PDA

View Full Version : Drunken Gung-Fu// Cotton In Needle Training

diego
04-30-2002, 12:28 PM
Drunken Gung-Fu// Cotton In Needle Training
many styles have these, i know hunggar has these, i know lions roar tibet gf has these, and i think choy li fut and bak mei even have these.

What is thier trianing purpose, and what is the history as many styles have the same makeup kit who started this?.

Also, does mantis have these, & Tanian i will send you those, thanks for the patience
:) BusyBusy...

BeiTangLang
05-01-2002, 07:35 AM
Not sure about the cotton/needle thing, but our lineage does have a few drunken sets.

Tainan Mantis
05-02-2002, 08:06 AM
There is no indication that drunken is part of old PM tradition.
I have only seen drunken PM from schools whose lineage passes through HK. This is not unusual as drunken is more common in southern styles.

According to Shr Zhengzhong traditional drunken sets had few moves where the person appeared drunk.
Although these forms did incorporate moves of the ditang or similar looking styles(ground fighting).

In modern wushu the practitioner performs as if he is really drunken with many moves of questionable MA application.

Strangely I have seen buddhist monks on many occasions doing modern wushu style drunken sets.
I have often wondered if there is a logical reason for a monk to pretend he is drunk when it is forbidden by his religous vows.
If there are any monks in the audience maybe they could "enlighten " us on this knotty question.

diego
05-02-2002, 04:09 PM
My impression is Drunken sets is of the purpose in ones training similar to the fajing techniques in chen taiji?, I have a basic impression why these sets are used in the differant styles, but im curious thier must have been a certian school of thought who developed These?.:)

Mantis9
05-03-2002, 10:27 AM
In my lineage, we have a Drunken form which I believe originate from Lo Gwan Yu.

Mostly, we train this form to develop three things:

1. Relaxation
2. Unpredictability
3. Awkard movement

The form is a real killer on your left leg which support most of your weight, raising from the floor 'holding your jug' and an outstretched right leg. Ouch! There are portions of the form where you 'sober up,' the movements becoming more traditional looking. (I guess that's how I would describe it:confused: )

Anyway, you also do break falls, which appear like a (surprise) drunkard falling, but with a purpose;).

Wong Hon Fun has an out of print book that you might be able to find, which goes over the form. His version is very similar to my lineages (Chun Chun Yee and WHF were KF brother).

I hope that helps.

Tainan Mantis
05-03-2002, 05:58 PM
Mantis 9,
I know the book you are talking about. Just looking at the book makes me want to learn that form.
Something interesting, of all WHF books on empty hand PM, EVERY book, both published, unpublished and manuscript, has 5 characters per technique.

This is the only one that has 6 characters per technique. Not only that, but the technique names are the most poetic of the bunch. This leads me to believe that this form is adopted from a southern style, probably from someone at one of the schools Luo Guangyu taught at after he left Shandong.

Mantis9
05-04-2002, 11:27 AM
I suspect your right, though, I don't speak, read or write any chinese language.

From conversation from other 7* Sifu and listening to my own, LGY took a very inclusive approach to his mantis, incorporating many forms outside the 7* continuum, which he then reinvented to reflect his approach to the style. I have been told that he added a large number of forms to 7*, which explains why, between Chun Chun Yee, Chu Chi Man, and Wong Hon Fun students, we have unique forms to each lineage.

What is your opinion on which style it may be? When LGY was associated with Chin Wu school, I believe Eagle Claw, Wu Tai Chi, and Ho Yun Jow's style was taught. Any of these?

I would be very interested to hear a translation of the book's poem like verse.

Thank you for the feedback.:cool: