PDA

View Full Version : Wing lam hung gar series

Snakey
08-29-2001, 12:12 AM
I'm interested in learning the tiger/crane form or the snake and or crane form.I looked into getting tiger-crane video or his snake video but im not sure if his video will teach the form well.
Does anybody have the video that can give me thier honest opinion.I had heard good things but i would like some detail like how long are his videos and what is the format in which he teaches the forms and applications.Any opinions would be helpfull

Kung Lek
08-29-2001, 02:44 AM
Hi Snakey-

Nothing beats the "direct transmission" method for learning Kung Fu.

When beginning Kung Fu, Videos and books are difficult if not impossible to learn and practice with correctness from. There is no one there to offer refinement.

However, if you have a good deal of experience, and know your basics well, and have practiced diligently since learning via dirct transmission or are still learning via direct transmission, then you may possibly get something useful out of a video or book.

On that note, Wing Lam tapes are of good quality to the best of my knowledge, I have one that one of my Kung Fu brothers used to own (r.i.p Chaz) it covers one of the Hung Gar forms and as far as instructional videos go that I have seen, it's one of the better ones.

peace

Kung Lek

MasterPhil
08-29-2001, 04:44 AM
Not to sound repetitive but like Kung Lek I will stress the importance of good basics (stances, theory, breathing, etc.) before attempting to learn anything valuable from a tape as you must be able to figure out many things for yourself.

That being said I bought the Tiger&Crane video from WLE and it was one of the best instructional video I saw. I haven't seen that many videos though (maybe 8-10). He does the whole form 2-3 times beginning and end. Then the whole form is divided in sections and each sections are performed by him and another student (different angles). Then a couple of applications are demonstrated for each move. The sound text is also pretty informational but to the point. The only thing missing to make it perfect would be a couple of sheets with all the move's names/pictures.

ST

p.s. I tried ordering a second time from them recently and they no longer accept canadian credit cards. It is unfortunate that their website indicates the contrary and will accept all your credit card information. It is bad business practice.

Surrounded by chaos, the true taoist laughs...

irontiger
08-29-2001, 06:59 AM
hey,
heres the deal regarding w.l.videos one more time
if you have your basics down pat,these will be some of the best instructional vids you could purchase very rarely do I personally recomemend
videos especially training vids,most have very little info,or detail about the set & or system itself., with the WL series,you get what you pay for and then some!!!I enjoyed them so much i even went to train with sifu lam,in sunnyvale ca. for
a week that just made it all the much better!!!!
hey im from the east coast we dont travel just for kicks!!!!!!
note;THE INDIVIDUAL ANIMALS ARE FROM THE HA SAY FU STYLE WHICH I HAD THE PREVILIGE OF TRAINING IN !

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR TRAINING
;) martialmoves@hotmail.com

Laine Nakachi
09-28-2001, 11:00 AM
Snakey ,

Today, I got wing lam's Taming the Tiger
video tape .
It's like what Silent Thunder had said about wing lam's video.
It's repetitive,but it's a good video,another thing silent thunder had said is that there's no name for each moves,but other than that it's a **** good video.

I'm planing net to get the lau gar fist video.

One thing , that I've learned about wing lam's taming the tiger video is that,he teaches the long version of taming the tiger set.

While Sifus like Bucksam Kong or his student Sifu Vernon Rieta , teaches the short version of taming the tiger set.
The difference,these 2 people all have moves and techniques that eachother don't have in their own version of taming the tiger video.

But Snakey , go ahead and invest in the tiger/crane video from wing lam's enterprise.
His tapes are good .

Take Care,

Fe luk

ngokfei
09-29-2001, 03:32 AM
any of the many tape series out there will give you the form.

WIng Lam - Panther - ESPY.

Shame that few if any reallys how good application.

The Tapes of Yee Chi Wai on Espy are very good for those who want to learn more than just the basics of a form.

PS:

Question: Why is it the Wing lam doesn't show on tape all of the weapon sets from the Lam Jo/Chiu Wai lineage. He substitutes the Ha Say Fu forms instead. Does he not know them or is he just holding them back?? (ex: Yu Family Tiger Fork)

eric Hargrove
ngokfei@juno.com

Subitai
09-29-2001, 10:13 AM
This is my direct observation form the source. Not just as a student but from information that I’ve gathered for myself as an independent researcher. Take it for what it is.

Lam Sifu was a pioneer in the field. In 84-85 he was contracted by WTN. An OHIO based production to do some forms on Bak Sil Lum and Hung Gar. Prior to that, nobody had put out that much information about any kung fu style on videotape. He gave all 4 pillars of HG in that series for peet sakes. The format also set the standard teaching approach used today. Now everybody and their brother have a video.

** What people don't know is that text wise, what was said was not 100% his writing. I'll leave it at that.

I'd like to point out though that over the 4 years I worked as his shipping mgr. for WLE. I noticed many things and many people from around the US would call me to gossip about this and that. Like a priest it is all-confidential. But what I will say is that I believe the man is responsible for a huge movement forward in KF for this generation.

We had a huge US map. I used to put pen marks all over the country of people who are using His tapes for their curriculum. The map was covered from East to West. Sadly, most are charlatans that never cop to learning from video only and profess a higher lineage and skill level than they actually have. Not that videos are bad mind you, just how they are being abused. They jump directly over one level in lineage or make up some bullsh%t story as to how they learned the sets. THOSE PEOPLE KNOW WHO THEY ARE AND SO DO WE. You might be able to say that we indirectly or purposely put certain phases or translations of words and movements into the sets. With this information, anyone quoting from the videos is instantly recognized as a person who learned from them.
BTW, I personally exchange with these people occasionally and they have the gall to lie to my face. I feel for them cause they are only fooling themselves and their students.

As for the weapons in his series, broadsword for example is called Pek Kwar Darn do. Pek as in chop and Gwa/Kwar(spelling probably wrong) as in to hang (or the horizontal cut from the basic wrap) He noticed that his HG broadsword set was inferior to the Bak Sil Lum broadsword set. It is basically a *******ized version of the Northern Set and I agree with him cause I’ve learned both. Reason being, the northern set is far more complete. Besides broadsword came from the north, not actually a traditional southern weapon.

It is “rumored” that Lum Jo brought this set into the system from his exchanges with the Monkey king. Same with money stick and monkey staff sparring set.
NOW, DON’T GO YELLING AT ME…PLEASE. I’m just saying what was relayed to me from a Lum Jo line student. He could be wrong. Its just information ok. I do not know or Care if it’s true. I’m just glad that we have the sets in the system.

**Sifu Lam does not get involved in politics and his official stance on any history or lineage line topic/debate is “It doesn’t matter, just train hard” also “In the old days you just worked out hard, you didn’t ask the Sifu all these questions”.
================================================== ====
**Wing Lam and his students have always been neutral in ANY or ALL Hung Gar debates and will remain so**

On the YU fork I can’t comment on that 100%. We don’t do this particular set at my school currently but I’m pretty sure he knows or knew it at one time. In the past when discussing it, I always got the feeling he didn’t like that weapon too much.

Sifu Lam also knew the entire Northern Lok Hop system. In the early 1990’s when he began to record the sets more completely he only remembered the Lok Hop spear and broadsword of that northern system. He only posts what he knows well. As a young man he obviously absorbed a lot. It is a credit to his intelligence. During his time, he always said “Sifus only showed you something 3xs max (at full speed). If you didn’t get it, you might have to wait a long time before he shows it to you again”. It is a testimony to how good he was/is. It doesn’t mean mastery at a young age but he has had the last 30 + years to refine his knowledge. That is the same boat for all of us, learn now and a lifetime pursuing mastery.

Your eyes have to be sharp for kung fu. Catch all in a single pass.
Lam sifu can watch 15+ people do a Section only of a form and can single out an important detail either missing or lacking for each and every individual that will improve their overall skill significantly. That is very sharp.

What cracks me up is that, in the old days people used to kill for books on Kung fu. Now we have videos. Some people complain that videos are too hard to learn from…too fast, need to be slowed down. Hah! That is lower level. Masters need only watch you once or twice to pick up your techniques. That is why so many styles or teachers were hidden or used to disguise their kung fu. If a person cannot catch what a person is doing over and over and over again on a tape, how can they possibly engage in a fight?

All the upper si hings have to learn this way. Only a few passes and that’s it. Common quote, “At your level, you should be able to absorb”…and he is right. Later in private the fine point can be relayed. That is how it should be and it weeds out the weaker.

Ease on,
“O”

"Brilliant general"! "When the dirty ******* finds out, he'll return with his men--then we kill the all of them..." www.kwoon.tv (http://www.kwoon.tv)

Laine Nakachi
09-29-2001, 10:16 AM
ngokfei,

Good question what I would do is email wing lam about it .

Take Care ,

Fe luk

Laine Nakachi
09-29-2001, 10:23 AM
Subitai,

Thanks for the information on Wing Lam ,
I appreciate it .

Take Care,

Fe luk

Subitai
09-29-2001, 10:29 AM
The "rumor" about the Name of the broadsword set is NOT correct.

But the RUMOR stands about the other two sets.

Remember the rap song:

"look at all these rumors...surrounden us everyday"

just a rumor

"Brilliant general"! "When the dirty ******* finds out, he'll return with his men--then we kill the all of them..." www.kwoon.tv (http://www.kwoon.tv)