PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about Cobra?

PJO
05-01-2002, 03:18 PM
I've learned some cobra and was looking around on the internet to find more about it. I was suprised to see there wasn't that much info on it. If cobra was one of the original 18 yogas that Damo taught the monks why and when did it become snake? If there are any cobra practitioners I would like to hear what your style consists of, and would like to also hear some history.

Chang Style Novice
05-01-2002, 09:42 PM
Um, it's a big, poisonous snake with a cool hood?

That's all I know about cobras.

joedoe
05-01-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by PJO
I've learned some cobra and was looking around on the internet to find more about it. I was suprised to see there wasn't that much info on it. If cobra was one of the original 18 yogas that Damo taught the monks why and when did it become snake? If there are any cobra practitioners I would like to hear what your style consists of, and would like to also hear some history.

Ummmm, I don't want to be rude, but maybe because the history they teach you at your school is a little wierd.

In any case, if Damo taught 18 yogas, then it doesn't necessarily translate directly into a fighting style.

Mutant
05-02-2002, 08:33 AM
as far as i know, cobra is not a unique style, but some movements/strikes within the shaolin snake fist.
there are some strikes called venom spits and some other movements that are inspired and based on the cobra. there are different kinds of snakes within the snake style, cobra being one of them.

cobra being one of da mo's 'yogas'? i don't think thats accurate, youve got something confused there...

PJO
05-02-2002, 10:33 AM
If you check out shaolin.com it talks a little about the eighteen yogas that Damo taught, some of the original animals included dear, bear, and some other strange ones. I know these were not fighting styles but most of these movements were developed into the shaolin fighting styles. It maybe that cobra is a branch of snake but it seems to have a little different theory or at least in my experience. Anyone else have experience with the cobra hand movements? ie twin cobras hoods, concussionary strikes. Also any history would be cool to.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-02-2002, 11:47 AM
i have learned one set of cobra blocks and a set of steps that are cobra steps if i remember correctly. the blocks are kinda like seperated praying hands that strike the strike with the heel of your hand ... i guess if you make a slapping sound you are doing it wrong ... you want it to thud. the steps were wierd and i could only see them being used for extremely in close fighting. your feet are a little less than soulder width apart, straight and parallel, and the toes of one foot should be at the middle of your other foot. the steps are quick little baby steps keeping the feet half a foot in allignment.

PJO
05-02-2002, 11:55 AM
This sounds similar to the cobra I've learned. The cobra strikes have as much power as an Iron palm strike but much faster. The footwork you described sounds like some of the transitional footwork we do but not something we fight out of. I'm not sure. Thanks for the post.

Stacey
05-02-2002, 12:00 PM
Basically there are two sides...G I Joe and Cobra.

Lice
05-02-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Stacey
Basically there are two sides...G I Joe and Cobra.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle. GI Joe!

Ahh.. glorious childhood memories.

Taomonkey
05-02-2002, 12:32 PM
Which side was Quick Kick on, wasn't he the Indian Kung Fu guy for Joe , and if so who was Cobra's Ninja, Did Joe Have a ninja too?

Personally I still have my 12" Joe with the Kung Fu Grip, and the 9" version that had two pannels on his back, when you pressed them he would punch. Never did get into the toys from the cartoon. But I sure did like the cartoon, that and TRANSFORMERS, the origional not this new anime crap where they have to shout out what typr of attack they are using.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-02-2002, 01:02 PM
the transformers movie was one of the best moveis of all times.

firepalm
05-02-2002, 02:35 PM
The Stallone movie from the eighties? Totally cool in a non serious comic book kinda way!:D

norther practitioner
05-02-2002, 04:16 PM
How come I just think of Cobra Kai from Karate Kid?

Oh, thats why.:D

Black Jack
05-03-2002, 08:34 AM
Bando has a Cobra system, as does Chi Dao Ch'uan Gung Fu, the Burmese arts also have a Viper and Python system as well.

Ryu
05-03-2002, 11:33 AM
Octimus Prime ruled!

and Lice, the war cry was "Yo JOE!!!!" :D

:( Good God....I feel old all of sudden...

Ryu

Silumkid
05-03-2002, 11:38 AM
Joe Team did indeed have their ninja...if you followed the Joe comics, you would know that Snake Eyes was trained in the art of Ninjutsu. HA HA!

Cobra's ninja was Storm Shadow. I believe that was his name anyhow. There was a character with Snow in his name...maybe Snowblower. But he wasn't a ninja that I recall.

Can't help you with Quick Kick...never heard of him.

Starchaser107
05-04-2002, 12:07 AM
Staaar...
QUICK KICK WAS A CHINEY MAN AN' HIM DID DEH PON DI JOE TEAM
SNAKE EYES AND STORM SHADOW HAD A STRANGE RELATIONSHIP LATER ON STORM SHADOW JOINED THE JOE TEAM.

THERE WAS ALSO JINX ANOTHER JOE NINJA
ACCORDING TO QUICK KICKS FILE CARD HE STUDIED JEET KUNE DO...

THERE WAS AN INDIAN GUY I FORGET HIS NAME THOUGH

NorthernMantis
05-04-2002, 07:04 PM
Hey does anybody know that the guy that's covering his face (too young to remember) is really a snake? It's true. I saw a G.I. Joe movie stating that he came from this snake like human race that was almost extinct and he was really gonna betray the Cobra organization.

Kevin
05-04-2002, 10:36 PM
OK, here we go:
Snake Eyes, Scarlett, Stalker, and Johnny Arashikage (Stormshadow) fought together in Southeast Asia sometime in the 70's doing odd-jobs. Snake Eyes was injured and disfigured, then discharged. On the way to pick him up, his family was killed in a car accident. The other car had someone related to Cobra Commander in it, thus begins the beef between the king snake and Snake Eyes. Snake Eyes had saved Storm Shadow's butt during war, so he owed him. Stormshadow was secretly the heir to the Arashikage ninjutsu ryuha, so he took in Snake Eyes. Snake Eyes excelled, becoming even better than Stormshadow. One day, the school's master was killed while demonstraing a secret sword technique. Snake Eyes was blamed, but it was really done by everyone's favorite baddie, ZARTAN! Zatan was also a ninja, and had a really cool archey set with sonar stuff for shooting through walls. Stormshadow joined Cobra to find and kill him, the rest is history. Spirit was the Native American, he wasnt a ninja, but was really good fighter. Jinx had trained in Arashikage under another teacher. Scarlett was pretty good too. Oh my God, I cant believe I remember all this. I sold my GI Joe comics and toys a decade ago. Please dont make fun of me....