PDA

View Full Version : going abroad, what should i do?

beiquan
05-01-2002, 11:32 PM
I am going to be going to Taiwan, hopefully for about a year, to continue studying Chinese after I graduate in June, and I am trying to decide whether or not I should look for a teacher while I am there. Right now I am leaning towards not looking, for several reasons, the main one being that I am committed to trying to reach the highest level I can in the style that I currently practice, and in a sense am looking forward to not learning anything new for a while, since it will give me the opportunity to further work on everything that I've already learned. I'm not trying to become a forms collector. However, it seems like such a great opportunity, and I can see myself regretting not having tried to pick up something new while I am there.
Ultimately, I guess it will just be a matter of "yuan fen", but I would appreciate any advice -- Gene, I know from reading your articles that you spent some time training under one of the Shaolin teachers while in China, did you feel like this had any effect on what you had learned from Sifu Lam, good or bad?

thanks,
bq

GeneChing
05-02-2002, 10:42 AM
...and I'm a daddy, long past that.
Going to China really opened up my practice, took it to a whole new level. As for Songshan Shaolin techniques affecting my BSL, of course it did, positively! That was the whole point of going. It took me much deeper into my understanding of the system. Now I couldn't train in Hong Kong as a child like Wing Lam so there's no comparison. Nor could I train at Shaolin Temple like my monk master Shi Decheng. I'll never be like any of my Sifu's. But by learning as much as I can from both lineages, and others, I can make progress. It's the only way for me really.

As for being a forms collector, I've learned a lot of forms and forgotten a lot too, but something always remains from the process of learning. I'll always try to learn new forms. If I forget the form, so what? I got plenty of forms, too many already. All I'm after is the method.

NorthernShaolin
05-02-2002, 12:37 PM
Beiquan,

Yes if there is an opportunity to learn, take it or you will regret it later. Keep an open mind as you observe other styles and if something seems to your liking, make an attempt to learn it.

As my Sifu once told me, "It is okay to observe other styles and learn what they have to offer. By doing this, one will be able to appreciate what one has already learn and it will only improve his skills. Just remember, always believe in your original 'root' style and it will not let you down."

KYC did this when he learned styles such as Ch'a, Hsing -i and Pa Kua. He never said he was a master of these styles but he took the opportunity to learn styles that were similar and were different from NSL. It help him understand and appreciate other styles.

In my own experience it has help me look at my BSL's applications through another prespective. It help me 'see' BSL's secondary applications that I would not have obtained if I had not been able to stand back and look at it at another angle.

GeneChing
05-03-2002, 09:51 AM
...and don't get me wrong, BSL is authentic Shaolin. If you study Songshan shaolin and BSL, there is a lot of overlap. It's like studying fiddle and mandolin. Studying both really enhances each other, at least for me. I think that's what convinced me of the authenticity of both systems more than anything else. There is an underlying common method to all Shaolin, but it's a big zen koan that you tackle with all your spirit. Songshan & BSL are two versions of that same koan...

yu shan
05-03-2002, 09:04 PM
Where are you going in Taiwan? As for being a forms collector, why bother if you are not taught the two-person, application part of it. Let me know where in Taiwan, we have great influence there. You will love Taiwan!

beiquan
05-11-2002, 11:01 AM
yu shan - I'm going to be in Kaohsiung for about a month and a half, then I'll be in or around Taipei for about nine months...if you know of anything worth checking out in either of those places please let me know, i don't even know where to start!

Stumblefist - can you tell me anything more about the Wutang society, or point me to a web page or anything? is this the group that Adam Hsu and Jason Tsou are from? I'm definitely interested in finding out more about those training camps.

thanks,
bq

beiquan
05-12-2002, 12:38 PM
Well, while I'm in Kaohsiung for a month I'll be studying Chan Buddhism at the Fo Guang Shan monastery; I'm not sure if it's actually in the city and I doubt that during this time I'll have much of an opportunity to get out into the city. After that I'm off on a two week guided tour of the island (led by a few monks, we'll be going around and staying at their satellite temples), which ends in Taibei. Then, I'm going to have a bit of time to kill (about a month and a half, although I might have to leave the country and come back in order to resolve some visa issues) before I start studying at National Taiwan University in September, which will last about 8-9 months (in Taibei). This is why I'm interested in finding something out about intensive training programs, as I'll have about a month with nothing to do before school starts (unless I'm successful in finding a job...)

Thanks again!
bq

TaiChiStorm
08-19-2002, 06:35 AM
Beiquan,
I was so happy and surprised when I read your threat, because I am seriously thinking about going to Taiwan to learn Chinese as well!!!! I already ordered some information from the embassy!! Are you already there??? I've got some material abou the "Sun Yat-Sen University which offers a language course. Are you there ,too???
Okay ,I hope you are able to get my message. I really would like to stay in contact with you!! Perhaps you could give me your e-mail or so. It is so funny!! I also definatly want to find a master in Taiwan ,because many people told me that there are many of them, especially of my MA style!! I hope you can help me
Greets
TCS