PDA

View Full Version : Advice and Info on Training trip in Hong Kong

stuartm
05-02-2002, 02:42 AM
Hi all,

Just wondering how many of you here have been to / live in Hong kong and could answer the following questions.

1. Rough guide to prices on training at top sifus classes - ie Chu Shong Tin, Ip Ching, Ip Chun, Siu Yuk Men etc

2. Were the classes friendly?

3. Training at the VTAA?

4. Best place to get cheap accomodation / cheap flights.

I have tried to contact the VTAA but no response. I would be most grateful for your help as I will be going in November this year. Also if anyone from the UK is interested in coming along then get in touch with me at welshwingchun@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks folks,

Stuart

black and blue
05-02-2002, 03:18 AM
I wish I could say I've been/lived there, but sadly... no.

However - www.wingchun.com.hk has links to four of WSL's top fellas. These sites list locations and training fees.

I know someone who studied with Ip Chun earlier this year, though not sure about the prices. He said the class was very good, and very casual in approach. He said it was almost all Chi Sau and that this was done very, very relaxed.

If there was a criticism it was that there seemed a lack of energy. People didn't really seem to be trying to hit each other. Perhaps this is just a different approach to our "I'm gonna tear off ya face" slant to training. ;)

Post and let us know how your plans develop - dying to get out to HK... one day.... one day :)

stuartm
05-02-2002, 04:09 AM
Cheers B&B - what you say about the relaxed approach rings true. I was at an Ip Chun seminar once where he stated that many paeople practise WC in HK for health. Im sure Wong Sifus schools and others will be more combative.

Will let you know how I get on.

Stu

byond
05-02-2002, 11:41 AM
hey stuart,
im going in october or november. perhaps we can meet up. are you going with sifu kwok??
anyway my understanding ,alot of the grandmasters you are talking about require ....a. you must be a registered member of the vtaa or...b. must know your sifu personally....and no matter what a letter of introduction is manditory(in chinese)...red pocket is usually expected(especially if you expect to be treated openly).....most of the grandmasters do not speak any english..so youll need a translater....
alot of the third generation masters speak english though. like donald mak (chow tze chuns top disciple), cliff au yeing(wsl student)....i think g.m wong long speaks english if you can track him down.........................................b

S.Teebas
05-02-2002, 03:25 PM
For info on training under Chu Shong Tin check out:

HCH Wing Chun (http://www.hchwingchun.com.au)

Follow the link on the first page "Find out the possibility to train with Master Chu Shong Tin."

Miles Teg
05-02-2002, 07:36 PM
S.Teebas
It doesn't say how much though.

Do you how much the fees are over there?

stuartm
05-03-2002, 12:34 AM
Hi Byond ! I think Sifu Kwok will be going in November for the opening of the Yip Man Tong in Foshan. I intend to go late November / December fpr training / holiday. Ill let you know nearer the time and maybe we can meet.

Stu

S.Teebas
05-03-2002, 06:59 AM
Hi Miles,

Sorry i dont know how much it costs. You could try emailing that email address on the web site (the link above).

Alpha Dog
05-03-2002, 07:23 AM
On Kowloon side is where I often stay when in Hong Kong. Be prepared to haggle the price though and see the room before agreeing to pay for it. Location can't be beat; rooms can be great and cheap or crappy and expensive. Good luck!

yuanfen
05-03-2002, 07:41 AM
A friend of mine attended Chui Hok Yin's classes in HK(WSL line).
He said that Sifu Hock Yin was very knowledgeable, friendly but
"professional" doesnt speak too much English.