PDA

View Full Version : Wing chun practicing

Dedication
05-02-2002, 12:16 PM
I do Northern Eagle Claw but i would like as powerful punches as the WC practicionars to incorporate into my style. Do you WC people have any drills/ excercises i can do to gain that knockout power to go with my great kicking?. BTW i punch with dumbells and that seems to make my punches very fast any input?

Dark Knight
05-02-2002, 01:51 PM
'i punch with dumbells and that seems to make my punches very fast any input"

This could be damaging to your joints.

Look to be fluid more than fast. Speed will come, fluid will give the appearance of speed.

Speaking as a non WC pratictioner.;)

Dedication
05-02-2002, 02:18 PM
yes i have heard it is damaging to the joints if you fully extend. I was talking to a 15 year tae kwon do practitionar who said that he does it but does not fully extend his arms thus doesnt get the joint problems.

scotty1
05-03-2002, 03:44 AM
Surely Northern Eagle Claw has some pwerful hand strikes?

Ish
05-03-2002, 04:23 AM
IMO punching with weights also changes the way you punch its also harder to relax.

anerlich
05-06-2002, 12:02 AM
I don't have a problem with the hand weights per se as long as you're careful. My Sifu has very fast and powerful hands and he does that drill, though not full speed/extension because of the potential joint damage mentioned.

BUT - powerful punching relies as much probably more on correct use of the stance, hips and legs. You don't punch with the arm, you punch with your whole body.

I'm a WC guy, but IMO the best description of how to throw powerful punches WC style is delivered in Jack Dempsey's book, "Championship Fighting".

If you want to learn to punch hard find someone who can do it (or more importantly, whose students can do it) and pester the hell out of them.

rjlohan
05-08-2002, 12:39 AM
Nothing beats a traditional boxer for hand work. :)

[Censored]
05-08-2002, 02:33 PM
Nothing beats a traditional boxer for hand work. :)

Who has the mature traditions, Wing Chun or sport boxing? :)

rjlohan
05-08-2002, 03:38 PM
No idea. :D

Even my Wing Chun trainers have said a boxer is best with his hands - but since they don't use their legs, they're screwed when you do. :p

Kristoffer
05-12-2002, 09:59 AM
just train.

jointlock
06-08-2002, 08:49 AM
You guys who are talking about joint damage when using weights while punching, do you mean the joint damage that could occur when you miss the bag? My teacher says as long as you hit the bag without hyper-extending, you should be ok.

LEGEND
06-13-2002, 10:29 AM
Hit a heavy bag over and over again...Power will develop...have an instructor look at your structure! Iron palming also helps for wing chun.

stoli
06-13-2002, 10:59 AM
For powerful punches, learn to box. End of story IMHO

rjlohan
06-13-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by stoli
For powerful punches, learn to box. End of story IMHO

True, but it helps to have wing-chun technique as well... boxers never see the kick coming. ;)