PDA

View Full Version : Weight Punching

Dedication
05-03-2002, 09:05 AM
I was talking to a 15year TKD guy who said he punched with weights. He said it makes you a good bit faster but its very important not to fully extend or you could hurt your joints. I dont fully extend but im curious as to input. If this is bad is their another solution\?

Fu-Pow
05-03-2002, 11:37 AM
We do this in my CLF Kung Fu class. I think it is OK but start with low weight 1-5 lbs. Also don't hyperextend the joints. (This is a bad habit whether you have weights or not. Because your joints become more susceptible to breaking.)
Anyways, This is how we do it:

We do a set of 30 straight punches in bow stance. Start slow then build up speed. Drop your weights then do another set of 30 of the same technique as fast as you can.

Then do the same with upper cuts.

You can do the same thing with just about any closed fist punching technique from your style.

Again, don't hyperextend, use low weights to start, and start the repetitions slowly building up speed.

Good luck!!!!

inic
05-03-2002, 05:21 PM
i box with weights, but its always with a punching bag, so its prevents ur arm from going full extension. i warm up with 5 min regular boxing then 20 min weighted then 15 regular... its made my speed VERY FAST. i do sticky hands with friends and they have a very hard time blocking me cause of my improving speed. i would suggest this but not without hitting something so u wont extend ur arm fully.

Dedication
05-04-2002, 10:28 AM
how has that made your punching power? Has it hurt your form?

Stacey
05-04-2002, 03:52 PM
increddible if you are a shoulder puncher.

I prefer pullies...use all the weight and use my whole body to move it. That works better on my structure, stance and supporting muscles.