PDA

View Full Version : Phasing stages

Chinwoo-er
05-03-2002, 11:03 AM
For those who have studied a style for 10 years or more.

Ok, we know how we get "natural" at what we do after years and years of practice. However, CMA is an art which could bring scholarly inspirations. And we work out more technically different ways of doing the same things as we get more and more experience.

now, does anyone here every expereinced a time when we have "discovered" a new way of interpreting some move we use. Afterwards you find that this new principle can be applied onto different moves as well. Then one thing lead to another which leads to a complete reformation of the art you thought you knew so well. Now, the art and essense itself is not lost. It is still the same you have been doing all along. it is just a different approach to it.

However, during the time when you are moving farward, you began to lose some of the ideas you had before. Mainly due to the fact they are incompatible with you new line of thinking and we are just so excited about discovering more about this new theory that we neglect to think about the old ones. so in time, we have actaully "phased" out of our old habits in fighting. Sad thing is, we are so caught up with the new one that we have actually, forgot or repressed the old one.

anyone been through that stage ? how many times ? do you believe you can keep moving forward ( please don't be afraid to sound 'arrogent'. There are stages that some find that all the possibilities have been explored already )

Chinwoo-er

Water Dragon
05-03-2002, 11:06 AM
Yup, that pretty much sums everything up in my book. Except that eventually you go back to the stuff you neglected and it looks totally different to you now so you start over with that, rinse, repeat.

Dark Knight
05-03-2002, 02:41 PM
Its more a conceptual phase. You are no longer looking at things as you have been trained to look at. Kind of like catch wrestlings submision over position, you are now seeing oppertunities based on concepts of movement.

Yuo see alot of people who think they have reached tis point. They study different styles, or watch videos and approach a situtation based on drills from X style. But they are still havent broken past that point.

Its not natural movements, its another level, everything is seen as concepts and movement. You see things as how the outcome will be from movments and reactions to your movement.

This is where the style becomes yours as it is developing more from you than what you have as classical information that is repeated. The art takes on a personal touch, call it Chinwoo-er -Ryu.

Dark Knight
05-03-2002, 02:43 PM
Water is right, now all the beginner stuff takes on a new meaning, It was after I had a huge amount of information did I realize what the simple stuff really was.

Water Dragon
05-03-2002, 02:44 PM
Then you figure out you never really had it and have to go back and re-train yourself :(

Merryprankster
05-03-2002, 02:46 PM
Yeah, like when you figure out there's only two sweeps in BJJ and then train with that in mind... big difference :)

Dark Knight
05-03-2002, 02:49 PM
"Then you figure out you never really had it and have to go back and re-train yourself "

I hated it when that happened, Just when I thought I had it down I realized I had nothing.;)

Dark Knight
05-03-2002, 02:50 PM
The more I learn the less I know

Chinwoo-er
05-03-2002, 11:41 PM
I was talking about when you have already achieved a high level the art. I mean there is a certain degree in which you have already formed a set of your own feel towards it. At this stage, one should already be over the begginers ideas. Really understand it and be able to use it using your own characteristics.

And then suddenly thinking of something new. And the whole process starts.
Tried that before ?

HuangKaiVun
05-04-2002, 04:49 AM
Some guys can grasp the essence of an art after one or two practices.

Other guys train for 40 years, even become sifus, and STILL don't get it.

As far as "losing" old information, that's part of the learning process.

But I'll state that solo set practice done properly keeps a person "up to date".

DelicateSound
05-04-2002, 02:44 PM
Grasping the essence is simple. Applying that knowledge in the heat of sparring is the difficult bit.