PDA

View Full Version : How valuable is speed...

Julien
05-03-2002, 09:21 PM
...in traditional arts?

...street fighting?

yu shan
05-03-2002, 10:49 PM
speed is power-Mantis

IronFist
05-03-2002, 11:00 PM
If you could punch at the speed of light no one would be able to block you. However, you better condition your fist well to be able to withstand such a shock.

IronFist

Kristoffer
05-04-2002, 03:47 AM
Speed is extremly important. But don't stress the technique and go sloppy.

NPMantis
05-04-2002, 04:45 AM
Speed is obviously very important, you need to be fast enough to block punches and kicks and also fast enough to release punches and kicks quickly making them harder to block. In mantis (and most other forms of MA too I'm sure) power is also very important, what's the use of being fast if you don't have the power to knock someone down?

logic
05-04-2002, 05:44 AM
In a situation(or fight), time is very important..Your reflex should take over and all the years of training should come natural without really having to think about what your going to do.
Training to be quick is a good idea, because your opponent isn't going to wait for you.

I've seen it in boxing,karate,and my kung fu.
Speed can determine weather you win or lose.

JusticeZero
05-04-2002, 09:48 AM
If you practice with proper form and technique, then speed will come. Practicing with the focus on speed will cause bad form.

Merryprankster
05-04-2002, 09:51 AM
speed is power-Mantis

Speed is power--Boxing :rolleyes:

DelicateSound
05-04-2002, 09:55 AM
Speed is an almighty bout of flatulence :rolleyes:

Sharky
05-04-2002, 09:56 AM
Speed is power - physics

Merryprankster
05-04-2002, 09:57 AM
Now Sharky,

What have I told you about making sense? Stop it. You're going to hurt somebody's head!

Sharky
05-04-2002, 10:12 AM
:(

IronFist
05-04-2002, 11:16 AM
Speed can help you stay awake...

oops! Wrong speed! :D

IronFist

guohuen
05-04-2002, 11:23 AM
Speed was a sappy chick flick.

IronFist
05-04-2002, 11:37 AM
Sandra Bullock was hot.

IronFist

omegapoint
05-04-2002, 11:47 AM
Power= Mass x Speed (Velocity): Speed kills!

Julien
05-04-2002, 12:53 PM
oh ya... tell me if i'm right

double mass = double power
double velocity = quaded power

well, i don't really need to work my speed because I am naturally very fast but there was a guy ,"Don't expect speed and technique to save you in a fight. Start working your strength" or something

i am working my speed even more right now but my training is also working my strength to a degree..

repetition is the key to working speed, correct?

Merryprankster
05-04-2002, 01:04 PM
Relaxation is the key to speed, IMO.

Julien
05-04-2002, 01:10 PM
relaxation? so... if i sit around watching TV all day, i will become faster? whoa! (hehe)

but in training terms...? it's repetition right?

Merryprankster
05-04-2002, 01:24 PM
Um, in training terms if you stay relaxed you'll have speed, fluidity, etc.

Repetition ingrains the physical movement and structure.

So, I guess you could say that relaxation allows you to get through the proper physical movement and structure as quickly as possible :)

Erm--ok--not so clear--try this instead:

I can throw a right cross in a "picture perfect," manner, all tensed up. My structure and movement will "look," ok (won't feel right, and you can tell I'm tensed, but there won't be anything 'wrong' with the MOVEMENT itself or the structure at the end of the cross). But it won't have anything behind it. If I do it relaxed--ah! :)

logic
05-04-2002, 01:35 PM
Delicate Sound
Flatulence and with rolling eyes.
Do you mean that speed doesn't matter at all?

Sharky,
Stop messing with my head with that there physics mumbo jumbo (it hurts)

Iron Fist,
Sandra Bullock was hot?
I think she is still hot!!
Don't let Keana Reeves hear you talkin sh!t about her.
He knows Kung Fu.

"Relaxation is the key to speed"
Actually yes it is.The Tai Chi way, which is very effective,I agree.

Merryprankster
05-04-2002, 01:42 PM
I don't know if it's the "Tai Chi way." I think a lot of different styles use relaxation as the key.

DelicateSound
05-04-2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by logic
Delicate Sound
Flatulence and with rolling eyes.
Do you mean that speed doesn't matter at all?

No, it means that people who make ****ish statements like....

speed is power-Mantis

....in a pathetic advertisement for their system should have their torso's skinned, raw meat slathered over their genitals and left in the desert for a pack of rabid unholy demon-wolves to devour them.

No? Speed and power are incredibly important. There are many ways to achieve them, I'm not talking internal/external/body mechanics/timing etc. here.

ANd relaxation. MPS is very correct. But not too relaxed. Don't see any dope-heads beating me up now do you? :D

Sharky
05-04-2002, 02:19 PM
I guess i'm just too intellectual for the lot of you.

DelicateSound
05-04-2002, 02:25 PM
Make her name Beyoncé and I'll agree with you.

When it comes to Beyoncé those details matter............

Julien
05-04-2002, 05:13 PM
hmmm...

when u're about to strike, don't u relax then suddenly flex your arm muscles and snap it out, then back in and relax again?
(snake-like?)

that seems very linear to me so maybe u people are thinking about circular?

logic
05-04-2002, 05:28 PM
"Don't you relax then suddenly flex your arm muscle"?-- Yes, I do that all the time in my Tai Chi class.

And yes I relax again and move with the flow and feel whats going on around me and I do my best to feel the Chi.

Thats all cool, but There is always that certain point where you just have to pick up your speed to accomplish your goal.
There is no way around it.(unless your fighting someone like Richard Simmons):)

logic
05-04-2002, 05:46 PM
So, whats your story

What art do you train in?
How long have you been training?
where yeah from.

Your profile doesn't say much.

Julien
05-04-2002, 06:04 PM
whoa, i got a profile!

well, i'm from Ontario, Canada (small town, about 2500 people)

i don't train in any art right now
i train just by exercising right now... mostly speed and flexibility, and strength to a degree.. gotta work endurance soon

i've been doing my training for... um... about 8 months
it's at least quaded or maybe quinted since then

um, i have some experience with TKD

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-04-2002, 06:13 PM
i'm not so sure that the simple formula p=mv is appropriate to determine the power of someone's punch. there is too much else goin on. i bet if you took two guys of equal weight and equal speed they wouldnt be hitting with the exact same amount of power. one is going to have better structure, waist rotation, sinking, etc . ..

im not saying that speed isn't going to factor into a punches power at all, but it seems very inefficient to try and directly increase power by training speed. that's the direction i thought some of you were heading but i could be wrong.

NorthernMantis
05-04-2002, 06:47 PM
What about speed and proper techniqe? Without proper tachnique the speed is useless. It doesn't matter how fast people can punch. If the wrist is crooked then bye bye wirst and heloo pain and injury.

omegapoint
05-04-2002, 07:08 PM
Mass=weight of matter (even light)
Velocity=speed
Power=Kinetic Energy
A little weight w/ high velocity=lots of chaos (ie:M16/AR15 .223 caliber bullet) or little bullet + lots of propellant (powder in casing)equates to "tumbling" projectile that wrex ****!

A bullet with a larger mass (say the AK47 which is >.300 caliber or ~7.5 mm) and high velocity (lots of powder to propel it) results in serious damage; even moreso than the M16 bullet. Results= small entrance wound and devastating exit hole with lots of penetrating damage.

Punching is very similar. If you are a strong puncher you have to have some speed for the impact force to really penetrate, especially without gloves which tend to spread the force over a wider surface area. If you are really fast with little mass, the speed of your punch can compensate for some lack of mass. If you have a lot of mass behind your punch, assuming you have good technique which includes whipping power or a "relaxed" arm (until impact), and you are fast also; look out!

Conversely, a heavy bullet with little powder to propel it (.32 and .38 caliber) has relatively little penetrating power compared to the higher velocity projectiles. The smaller the surface area affected = the least amount of dissipated energy. The original solution to this prob was the invention of high caliber, low velocity bullets like the .45. The power from a .44 mag or .45 comes from the sheer size of the projectile and not necessarily from the speed of it. The invention of the .375 mag takes care of that by offering a good sized bullet with more gunpowder in the casing. Speed and mass=hole in engine block.

GDA makes a good point when he says that he's not convinced that physics deals with punching. Physics covers all aspects of reality not just ballistics and such, and if the practitioner is maximizing efficiency and effectiveness of technique it applies to MAs as well. Most folks can't punch or kick effectively, even if they are training. Still, regardless of whether you know how to deliver your projectile (fists/hands, elbows, feet, knees) or not, the formula- 1/2 MV2 (V is squared)- applies. Knowing how to transfer your bodyweight from the ground up into the weapon (striking limb) takes years of practice. Torque plus hip rotation momentive power helps to deliver the mass to the payload. Also understand that the opponents force can be ( and usually is) used against him, so the variables of the targets velocity and mass at impact is crucial. Walking into a solid, fast, straight right sucks!

All things travel in an arc even light, and the more linear the trajectory of a projectile, the less energy loss there will be. A .44 mag is a force to be reckoned with, but its power (kinetic energy) diminishes greatly after traveling about 35 yards. Not enough velocity to keep the bullet aloft, and it travels in a less linear fashion as compared to higher velocity projectiles. So even hooks and such, are more effective if the path is more linear than arcing.

Relaxtion requires that the antagonistic muscle groups of the limb in question are not tensed when a strike is delivered. Many beginning martial artists use a lot of muscle in their punching. They tend to tense the biceps counteracting the momentive force delivered via the triceps and such. They are in effect "governing" their intent. All of these basic physics principles are commom sense. It doesn't take someone with a scientific aptitude or backgroung to "feel" them. It's the numbers and abrreviated words (variables and symbols in the equation) that people get twisted.

You know I don't have to spend my saturday night explaining these simple, but unknown or overlooked principles of kinetics. I'm confident in my physical and mental abilities so no worries people. These are not secrets per se, but "gems" that the avg. punch drunk ruffian would never figure out without years of trial and error, and even then maybe not (look at all the horrible gung fu guys, karateka, boxers and kickboxers out there-even a lot of K1 dudes).

So to reiterate: Speed is good. Mass can be beneficial. Speed+Mass=Kinetic Energy (power). Punch, kick, and grapple with relaxation (until execution of tech) then use explosive force at the instant of impact or execution. Then relax again. Tai Chi Chuan principles are 100% correct, as is the notion that softness overcomes hardness. Most Marticians progress from hard, to hard-soft, to soft with seemingly little energy expenditure as compared to a novice. Be like water (not to bite Bruce or nothin'), water breaks down rock into grains of sand. All this is done with the physical principal we are debating about. Easy and cheesy,like most things in life when YOU evaluate it honestly.

Happy training, and remember that knowLEDGE is power!!! Pax Americana!

Sharky
05-04-2002, 07:13 PM
Done mate

Julien
05-04-2002, 07:15 PM
ah, this is also very helpful

would anyone know how to increase wrist strength? (haha, masturbation jokes and such...)

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-04-2002, 07:59 PM
wrist curls and reverse wrist curls.

lay your forearms along your thighs and lift dumbells or a barbell for a couple sets of a lot of reps. start with the outer forearms (thumbs down) and then do inner. you can really push weight with the inner forearms after you get used to it. i'm up to 70lbs at 3sets of 12 now wich is sadly half my body weight.

Shooter
05-04-2002, 08:18 PM
Yes, relaxation certainly is the essense of Tai Chi's speed. One of the best ways to develop functional speed is to go very slowly, and relax through common tactical movement patterns. Speed is useless without proper timing. Timing and position are the essence of functional speed. Tai Chi is a study of some very special components of position and timing. Although many aspects of Tai Chi Chuan's totality are discovered independently, they have always been the Tai Chi way. Nothing new under the sun. It's all Tai Chi...

Julien
05-04-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
wrist curls and reverse wrist curls.

lay your forearms along your thighs and lift dumbells or a barbell for a couple sets of a lot of reps. start with the outer forearms (thumbs down) and then do inner. you can really push weight with the inner forearms after you get used to it. i'm up to 70lbs at 3sets of 12 now wich is sadly half my body weight.

k man, i didn't understand that at all hehe

Sharky
05-04-2002, 08:40 PM
why not?

Julien
05-04-2002, 08:51 PM
the whole 70lbs and 3 sets of 12 with the forearms of the strength and stuff... confusing shiz.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-04-2002, 08:51 PM
shooter ... . word

jul . .. i dont know how else to describe it man. you lay your forearms across your thighs . . . you'd be seated obviously . .. . your wrists should extend out past your knees at whatever distance is most comfortable for you. wrist curls are simply curling the weight in this position with your wrists. if you want to do reverse wrist curls, for outer foreamrs, simply reverse your grip. your thumbs will be facing down and you will be lifting the weight kunckles up. you can use dumbells or a barbell. i started with 10lb dumbell for reverse wrist curls ... single only so i could concentrate on the form ... and 35 for the wrist curls. i worked up to 55 for reverse and 70 for reg.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-04-2002, 09:25 PM
insert a coma.

i'm up to 70lbs at 3sets of 12 now, wich is sadly half my body weight.

might read a little better without the now as well.

but i still don't see why you couldnt manage to catch the drift. you must be as ****ing stupid as i am.

type01
05-05-2002, 04:47 AM
im not as experienced as most in this forum but the question i have to ask, from the posts i have read and from what i understand speed in martial arts is a key factor with it comes power, but power and speed is subject to loss due to poor fluidity,timing and technique as mentioned previously. And since most are studying martial arts and not physics wouldnt it be more logical and easier to train co-ordination and technique than training solely on speed and trying to be like water???

Does anyone know of training techniuqes to improve co-ordination ????

DelicateSound
05-05-2002, 05:32 AM
OK man, follow the step by step instructions for a wrist-winder.

1) Take a dumbell pole, or anything like a broom handle in thickness. It should be about 20" long max.

2) Get some STRONG string and take about 2 metres of it. Make a loop and tie it onto the middle of the bar, and wind around a lot of slack.

3) Add some wights to the bottom [securely]

4) Now stand up, with the weights on the floor, the bar in your hands and the string slack. Now wind the bar round till you pull the weight up to the top. Both ways of curl [i.e. The bar will rotate opposite]

Sound easy enough?

Merryprankster
05-05-2002, 06:49 AM
p=mv is incorrect. It's actually p=fv.

But that's immaterial.

Physics DOES describe a punch. It will describe any kind of movement, forces involved, elasticity and inelasticity, etc. You just have to take the measurements--and generally speaking such things vary from person to person. The equation would be so general as to be completely useless to all of us, and far too complicated in any event. But it COULD be done.

HOW the body moves is a function of kinesiology, etc.

And what shooter said--assuming proper technique, timing and structure, speed=power. But you have to go through a lot of proper repetitions to get to proper technique, timing and structure :) Now about the all tai chi part... :D

joedoe
05-05-2002, 07:06 PM
Strictly speaking, all those equations are invalid for this discussion because they all refer to vector motion, which doesn't really occur in real life :D.

Sharky
05-05-2002, 07:07 PM
i never stated any, so i guess i rock

Julien
05-05-2002, 08:19 PM
actually, i am quite smart... IQ of 133
i just didn't know what u were talking about hehe

joedoe
05-05-2002, 08:44 PM
Gee, not only are you smart but you are humble too! :rolleyes:

Sharky
05-05-2002, 08:46 PM
i don't care about your iq, there wasn't much to understand, he said "these are forearm exercises" and then proceeded to describe them, for YOUR benefit, and you didn't even say thank you.

Julien
05-05-2002, 08:55 PM
meh, i just prefer not to be thought stupid

and i'm 15 so i'm a 'dang-nab-no-mannered-ruffian'

hehe

oh and thank u :P

joedoe
05-05-2002, 09:00 PM
There can be great value in letting people think you are stupid.

Kumkuat
05-05-2002, 09:32 PM
The value of speed depends on the type I guess. Crystal meth is the most popular one with ravers and teens, etc., So that should get the most valueable. So if you want to deal I suggest crystal meths. But I'm do have any experience in this so maybe the other members can help you.

omegapoint
05-06-2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
p=mv is incorrect. It's actually p=fv.

But that's immaterial:D

MP: I'm sorry but you're incorrect and I'm 99.9999999999999999999% on point (there are no absolutes). When I say power I mean Kinetic Energy which is the "power" we're talking about. The equation I gave you guys is Kinetic Energy equals one-half the mass of the "matter" in question x the velocity of the said matter, squared. Basic Newtonian Physics. Where do you get the "f" variable? Is that some English symbol used to replace the "mass" portion of the orthodox equation? Maybe you're getting something "twisted".

The Other Guy: I know the vector comment was totally facetious, so I won't comment on that, hahaha.

SifuAbel
05-06-2002, 03:13 AM
This is another fine example of how a web forum can be manipulated by a 15 year old with an IQ of 133 (:rolleyes:yeah right ).

And yes, your age does kind of disqualify you as some sort of "expert". What, if any, real experience can you have at 15 besides how to groom that pubic mustash? Wait, don't tell me, you've had many life and death altercations in Junior high.

Reading the assumptions of the ill informed is fun to a point but it does get boring fast.

Please go and come back when you have something other than second hand experience.

Flame on................. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Royal Dragon
05-06-2002, 05:21 AM
Try working the staff, iron staff, Monk Spade, Kwan Do, Broad sword, straight sword, or any other assortment of traditional weapons.

Nothing builds wrist strength like traditional weapons training, and it's really cool to boot!!!:D

TenTigers
05-06-2002, 05:45 AM
How important is speed? I dunno. How would YOU like to be the guy who said, "I almost hit him first."??-usually this is said from the hospital bed.

shaolinboxer
05-06-2002, 05:58 AM
Speed in combat is of primary importance, but in sparring speed can hinder your development of advanced technique. It can be too easy to try to make a poorly executed move work just by speeding it up. If you can land deliberate strikes with a good but not exaggerated cadance, when you do apply you speed and power your will have a much more powerful set of weapons and counters.

guohuen
05-06-2002, 06:13 AM
" I almost hit him first. " I was laughing so hard I was crying!:p

Merryprankster
05-06-2002, 07:32 AM
Kinetic energy isn't power.

Power is work per unit time.

Work is expressed as Force by Distance.

Since Power is work per unit time, the equation is basically (Force * Distance)/Time.

If I redistribute my parentheses, then it's (Force)*(Distance/Time)

The definition of Velocity is Distance/Time.

Consequently, power= (Force) * Velocity.

Dimensional analysis will show that the units of expression are different. In kg/m/s:

Power= (kg*m^2)/(s^3)

Whereas Kinetic Energy is expressed by (kg*m^2)/(s^2)

Unlike "chi," or "energy flow," or "internal," or "external," the language of physics is rather precise, and you can't substitute one definition for another, just because you feel like it, if those definitions aren't quantitatively equivalent.

So no, Kinetic Energy isn't the kind of power you are talking about because, by definition, it's not power.

Do I understand your point? Yes. But that doesn't make power and kinetic energy interchangeable.

Besides--I still stand by my point that beyond a gross generalization about an increase in speed being an increase in power (and that increase being generally related by the square of the velocity), this is all way too complicated for us to try and work on--although I don't think you're trying to do that, I just want to get away from us going round and round discussing impulse and momentum, elasticity and inelasticity of the impact, etc--the factors involved are too numerous to formulate and discuss on here. Besides which, I don't think I have the knowledge to factor in everything that needs to be taken into account anyway. Maybe you do. But I'm guessing not.

F, by the way is not a wierd symbol. It's FORCE, as in mass by acceleration.

Sharky
05-06-2002, 07:43 AM
How dusty were those books you musta dragged up for that?:p

Leave it man, this thread is getting borin :)

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-06-2002, 10:34 AM
i'm a bigger nerd than i thought.

this has actually made me miss physics class. i liked it when i used to know stuff. d@mn college kids.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-06-2002, 10:35 AM
"actually, i am quite smart... IQ of 133
i just didn't know what u were talking about hehe"

man you just begged to get smacked down.

BrentCarey
05-06-2002, 11:03 AM
Why would you want to street fight? If by "street fighting", you mean practical self-defense, then when you ask how important speed is in traditional arts and steet fighting I have to ask what the difference is.

I digress. To answer what I think you are asking, speed can be everything. If you have only speed and no technique, you are still ahead of your opponent who has only technique and no speed. If you have both, you have everything you need to defend against any attacker.

People talk about developing power, and talk about speed improving power. While this is absolutely true, the pursuit of power has a limited purpose in this day and age. A practioner's time is much better spent improving speed and accuracy (you need both to be very effective).

You are not likely to need to execute a devastating blow in your lifetime. In today's world, if you need such a blow, it means you have probably made a string of bad decisions and now lack the cognitive dexterity to come up with a better solution.

Peace,

- B. A. Carey

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-06-2002, 11:08 AM
i agree with about 0% of what brent just said.

DelicateSound
05-06-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by BrentCarey
You are not likely to need to execute a devastating blow in your lifetime. In today's world, if you need such a blow, it means you have probably made a string of bad decisions and now lack the cognitive dexterity to come up with a better solution.

Complete bullsh!t. Absolute horse-crap the lot of it. Sorry mate but where you live must be VERY different from where I live.

In today's world, you're often attacked for little or no reason, by some p"ssed up thug hell-bent on kicking off. Will "undevastating blows" help then. No. You take him down with extreme prejudice. You can't make any decisions there mate, if you want to keep your face.

And don't try to use phrases like "cognitive dexterity" on a 15 year old kid.

:(

shaolinboxer
05-06-2002, 12:08 PM
Gee **** Brendt, I mean I'm really interested in the concepts of avoidance and neutralizing an attackers intent with out harming them. But saying that if you need to incapactitate someone due to their violent intensions is somehow your fault for not being clever enough, well I think that's a bit over the top.

Also, most altercations I've been in (come to think of it all) have been with guys much larger than me. No matter how fast you are, if you lack power you will have no effect except perhaps to **** the guy off so you he'll be even more interested in doing you harm.

IronFist
05-06-2002, 12:12 PM
You guys all need to hug and play nice.

Actually, no, I'm kidding. I like reading arguments. Keep up the fighting while I go and get some popcorn...

IronFist

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-06-2002, 12:47 PM
fu ck you iron fist.

i told you steve really left blues clues. now you're not even gonna share any popcorn. you selfish mannerless pr!ck.

Julien
05-06-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by SifuAbel
This is another fine example of how a web forum can be manipulated by a 15 year old with an IQ of 133 (:rolleyes:yeah right ).

And yes, your age does kind of disqualify you as some sort of "expert". What, if any, real experience can you have at 15 besides how to groom that pubic mustash? Wait, don't tell me, you've had many life and death altercations in Junior high.

Reading the assumptions of the ill informed is fun to a point but it does get boring fast.

Please go and come back when you have something other than second hand experience.

Flame on................. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

meh, never claimed to be an expert... i was asked for my opinion so i gave it :P

i've been in fights before, but u've probably been in more so give your opinion.

and pubic mustache? i shave already man, so please no more comments on how 'developed' u think my body is.

omegapoint
05-06-2002, 05:55 PM
Power is a very ambiguous term. When you are talking about the specifics of physics and the generation/transfer of ENERGY physicists use terms like Potential Energy, Internal Energy, Mechanical Equivalent of Heat (Thermodynamics) and so on.

For the purposes of this discussion Kinetic Energy, what masses in motion possess, is most relevant. You can use the equation I provided, or if torque or spin is involved along with angular speed (w), the Moment of Inertia (l) can be said to have a kinetic energy 1/2 lw2 <(squared). This applies to dynamic grappling techs (throws, bars, locks) that occur when a moving object is brought to rest by appropriate means (execution of tech): for example a pulley and rope attached to a wheel that could be made to lift a weight.

Anyway, maybe the book you're using is a little dated, or explains details that have been simplified in the present day classroom. "F" does equal force, but is often not written that way in the simplified equation. Also, the units are expressed in ergs, joules, watt-hrs., foot pounds, etc.. Power is equivalent to all the forms of energy TRANSFER mentioned previously. So the eq. unsimplified would be: KE~ 1/2mv2. Power deals witht the rate of energy tranfer and NOT the AMOUNT. Also the variable "F" is used to signify the effects of a constant net force. Since KE is a scalar quantity, and Kinetic Energy is the energy associate with the motion of an object, it is often convenient to express the equation as, Wnet=KEf-KEi. This is the work-kinetic energy theorem.

The original equation I detailed has all the components within it that explains the amount of energy generated by objects in motion. I used "Power" for purposes of simplicity and maybe I should have given the specifics. P=Fv (Effect), details the avg. power delivered to an object. This is a function of the Kinetic Energy (Cause) that generates this power. Peace...

joedoe
05-06-2002, 07:50 PM
OMG we are surrounded by physics geeks :D

dre
05-06-2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by joedoe
There can be great value in letting people think you are stupid.

Truer words never spoken. Let them think you are weak, let them think you are stupid, then. . . HEH HEH HEH. . .

joedoe
05-06-2002, 09:26 PM
Exactly ;)

The greatest danger comes from the one you least suspect. Often that is the one you consider beneath your consideration.

Merryprankster
05-07-2002, 07:25 AM
Omega--again--I understood what you were trying to say, but when you start using equations, you need to be clear what you're talking about, and power and energy aren't the same thing.

I'm fully aware of the units issue--hence I specified that I was doing dimensional analysis in the convention of kg/m/s, vice, say lbs/f/s or some other convention. Dimensional analysis is just a convenient way to discuss whether or not something is equivalent (or what you might have to do to get the right units), without doing the numbers.

It'd probably be better to discuss impulse as well, but I don't really think I want to...We're looking at a tangled nightmare w/respect to the variables involved, and I don't think it would benefit anybody, even if we COULD do it.

I agree that kinetic energy is a scalar quantity, and I understand that discussing physics w/respect to algebraic type equations without the integral yields an average, not an "instantaneous" result, so your discussion of Wnet=KEf-KEi is clearly relevant since you need the vectors to discuss the work that is actually DONE.

However, will you also agree that the difference between a "punch," and a "push," is at least partially a function of time--that is, how quickly the energy is TRANSFERED determines whether you've punched or pushed something, all else being equal--and that therefore, a discussion of power is relevant in the sense that the faster you can transfer the energy, the "harder the punch?"

Again, this is in PURELY general terms--I really DO NOT want to try and justify all of this in terms of classical physics--overall, I believe that trying to "show," all this in the extremely specific case is a dishearteningly futile effort.

ewallace
05-07-2002, 08:01 AM
Meanwhile, we out-fitted the vehicle with this big pole and hook which runs directly into the flux-capacitor. At the calculated moment, you start off from down the street driving toward the cable execrating to eighty-eight miles per hour. According to the flyer, at 10:04 pm lightning will strike the clocktower sending one point twenty-one gigawatts into the flux-capacitor.

scotty1
05-07-2002, 08:02 AM
:confused: WTF?

The answer is - yes, speed is important, obviously. :rolleyes:

I can't explain it using physics but it is obvious that speed is a PART of the power of your strike.

dezhen2001
05-07-2002, 08:21 AM
i'm amazed that u managed to get a Back to the Future quote in this thread! :D :eek:

david

guohuen
05-07-2002, 09:08 AM
OMG! Joedoe is right. Two of my best friends are physicist and we chat about quantum and vortex physics all the time!:p