PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Philosophy and Religion

PosterBoy
05-04-2002, 05:19 AM
Does anyone practice\study Taoism?

Have they found it aids their Wing Chun?

Axiom
05-04-2002, 03:23 PM
I have studied it. Not, like, obsessively but I have read up on it a bit. I am halfway through reading the Tao Te Ching at the moment.

As for it helping my Wing Chun, I have no idea. I am fairly new to the art so I learn at quite a pace anyway :)

anerlich
05-04-2002, 09:31 PM
If Taoism agrees with your personality, it may well be a useful filter to which to view your Wing Chun training.

CMA, and Chinese culture as a whole, largely springs from a philosophical base of Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism. An understanding of this philosophical base may give one a richer perspective on the art.

Like many religions or philosophies, it can offer guidance and motivation to live a rich and fulfilling life.

And like many religions, the doctrines can get in the way of the insights and obscure or pervert, rather than reveal, the truth.

Different people learn in different ways. Be objective about what you are trying to achieve. If Taoism is working for you, keep it up.

If it isn't, drop it. Any good Taoist would tell you to do the same. The map (Taoism) is not the territory (the Way).

yenhoi
05-06-2002, 03:20 PM
I dont know why you would "take up" taoism because of MA, as i dont think it would be of any "help." - however, studying taoism will not hurt your kung fu.

Very rare for me to say, but I "took up" MA "because" of taoism.

alienofwar
05-08-2002, 06:26 AM
Personally I think both Taoism and Zen can help your martial arts a heck of alot. There is a book I read called "Zen in the Martial Arts" and here is the link, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0553275593/qid=1020864127/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_3_1/102-9583532-9469761
I would recommend you read it. Taoism is very similer to Zen in it's philosophy.

Also Wing Chun is based on the Ying and Yang theory, so I dont see why not to use Taoism as a back drop for your training. Just read that book and you will find out how much help spirtualty can be.:)