PDA

View Full Version : Dzai Kuei PM form in Taiwan

Tainan Mantis
05-05-2002, 06:42 AM
This subject comes from private e-mails with a fellow PM brother.

Dzai Kuei is a traditional PM form taught in Taiwan as well as China and the west.
Traditionally it did not exist in the HK branches, although that may have changed recently.

This form was somehow mistakenly attributed to Zhang Dekuei of Secret Door PM.

Today I asked Shr Zhengzhong and this is a summary of what he said.

Dzai Kuei was brought to Taiwan by Wang Songting. Zhang Dekuei did not know this form.

About Wang Songting. His most famous student is Gao Daosheng.
(last I heard he was in his 90's and still kicking)
But Wang Songting's best student was Ma Zhenshan. Ma studied with WST in Shandong as well as Taiwan, while most others got all or most of their training in Taiwan.
In Taiwan he became very famous and had a lot of students so it was difficult to give special attention to any particular student.

Supposedly he never taught any of the traditional PM forms like..
-beng bu
-lan jie
-8 elbows
-dzai yao

Although there is an extremely rare( I haven't seen) video of him doing Lan jie. Nobody, to my teachers knowledge can honestly claim having learned the above forms from him.
This specifically includes Gao Daosheng's Beng Bu.

Hopefully someone can supplement this info.

Recently I had a chance to interview a student of his who is also my shr ye, Li Hongjie.

Q: Why is he not as famous as some other teachers in Taiwan at present?
A: It is true that his kung fu was top notch, but he didn't know characters and so never could preserve anything for posterity.
His personality was difficult to accept. For example. When Master Gao was leading his own class through horse stance training, WST thought M Gao's stance was not low enough so came up from behind and kicked him in the butt. M Gao was already middle aged himself at this time and had to suffer this kind of treatment in front of his own students.

(At this point Yang Fengshr, a student of M Gao's added...)
M Gao's manuscript of the form Tang Lang Sho was compiled by me. I gave this to him and he used it for his video production.
(So know I know why M Gao's manuscripts differ in quality from PM hands to other forms such as Little Tiger Sparrow which is filled with incorrect characters)

Q: When did you learn from him?
A: At the time I was living with Li Kunshan in the mid 50's(Most famous plum flower master in Taiwan) and I was going behind his back to learn from WST.

When Master Li found out he was very angry with me.
WST taught me a straight sword form in a single evening. It was the most beautiful sword form I ever saw. Alas, one night is too short and I forgot.

I learned several forms from him including Little Tiger Sparrow. But I kept asking to learn one particular form and he never taught it. That is just the way he was. He had so much kung fu. In fact he had 11 shr fu. Too many shr fu.

PaulLin
05-05-2002, 12:17 PM
Well, I have been through that kind of experience, as well as heard, about traditional masters who don't teach more forms until he think your previous forms are done in the way he required. Many traditional masters, include my father, really would dislike a student who asking master for more forms, they think that the student is doubting the ability of the master on knowing when is the time to teach a new form. That can make them go very angry depends on how you asked.

So I think for students, it will be better to hint, like trying to push more corrections on the previous forms rather than asking for the new ones. The traditional master should take the hint of that the previous form is up to a level that should be move on to the next one.

Although many of the names here I have heard my father metioned before. But I can't remembered the stories now. If I ask my father, he will just tell me to focusing on practice more and starts to criticize my practice non-stop :( If I want to find it out, I will have to pick a better time that when he felt like to talk about story.

argentino
05-09-2002, 11:25 AM
Hi Tainan,

Long time since we do not speak. I have been in the USA lately, I just came back.

>Dzai Kuei was brought to Taiwan by Wang Songting. Zhang Dekuei did not know this form>

This is what I imagined... Thank you very much for confirming. I believe he learned this form form an unknown master back in Shadong or more probably a form exchage with other master while he was teaching at the Qindao branch of the Guo shu guan.

Best regards

Fernando

Tainan Mantis
05-13-2002, 11:56 PM
Ilya Profatilov has sent me some insightful supplementary info...

Liang Jingchuan taught Huang Yongkai taught Ji Zhongde taught Wang Songting.

Also, Hao Hengxin(Hao Henglu's brother) of Hao family meihua PM taught Ji Zhongde.

These are both Meihua lineages.

Since Wang Songting's student Li Hongjie said that Wang Songting had 11 Shrfus we only have 10 left to discover.

This is a significant question for PM people who trace their lineage to:
Su Yuzhang
Gao Daosheng
Shr Zhengzhong
Among others ...

Wang Songting taught his version of Luanjie to Gao Daosheng. But it is not the version that his students play on the Taiwan TV tape which is significantly different.
So Gao Daosheng knows 2 versions of this form.

Wang Songting also knew 8 Elbows, but it seems as though he never taught it.

As Argentino pointed out Wang Songting taught at the Qingdao Guoshu Guan.

According to Li Hongjie and some writings in Ilya Profatlilov's collection the form Little Tiger Sparrow was created there in the '30's. It is a Longfist form that was incorporated into PM like many others. It is possible that a circa 1930's book exists on this form as several other forms of that time were published in books.

The middle and large versions of this form were most likely created in Taiwan.

It is interesting to note that traditional PM has only...
-Beng Bu
-Luanjie
-Ba Zhou
-Dzai Yao

RAF
05-14-2002, 04:47 AM
Tainan Mantis

You asked in a previous post what style of Fen Shen Ba Zhou was being taught at the upcoming seminar. Its the Qi Qing version. My teacher also knows a meihua and mimen version. Mimen sounds as though its physically taxing with very very low postures.

Interesting about xiao hu yan, I also learned it many years ago and liked the form.

I am going to try to get my teacher to post his footage from Taiwan TV in the 1970s. They play lan jie, da fan se, a six harmony form, mi zong 2, and xiao baji, da baji, liu da kai all on a TV program. Its pretty good and shows how beautiful traditional forms can look.

My teacher also knows two versions of Lan (luan) Jie. If you go to the website of Ma Long and look under the demo of the Hall of Fame tournament you will see Andy Lianto of Indonesia playing the form.

Also FYI, we compared our versions of Mei Hua lu and mei hua hand with Zhang Wei Fu, President of the Qing Dao Mei Hua association and they were very, very similiar. Zhang Wei Fu visits every year for our tournament and we go to their tournament every other year.

Like I said, I am not doing Mantis any longer but I have traveled through all of the forms you listed (with exception of ba zhou and Luan Jie. My teacher just started teaching this publicly in the last 3 years), but I will keep you posted on anything that comes up.

Tainan Mantis
05-14-2002, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the input.
I'll be back to my computer in June.
I sure would like to know who made up the middle and large Tiger Swallow forms.

The Taiwan TV footage was available from Panther for a while, don't know if it still is though.

Meihua Sho should be the form created by Luo Guangyu.