PDA

View Full Version : Most important thing to train?

gnugear
05-05-2002, 05:27 PM
Other than SLT, what is the most important thing to train when on your own?
Stepping or turning?

Wingman
05-05-2002, 05:53 PM
You can practice stepping and turning at the same time. Your opponent is mobile and may employ various evasion tactics. A wing chun practitioner doesn't retreat straight backwards. He often retreats at an angle. That's why it is necessary to practice both stepping and turning.

red5angel
05-06-2002, 07:06 AM
I say rooting, and sensitivity, but you of course know that gnugear ;)

reneritchie
05-06-2002, 07:32 AM
Relaxation. And not just slowly, but sustained when speed and stress increases.

Path. Not just position, but the exactness through the range of motion.

Tactitle sensitivity. The ability to feel changes in conditions and adapt to not only counter but take advantage of them.

Power. Supple, soft, explosive power.

Patience and dedication. To go through the system, motion by motion, concept by concept, and drill them into reflex, by yourself and with a partner progressively through greater levels of stress.

And you don't even really need SNT for that (it can be as much distraction as provocation in the beginning). You can start with some basics - punch, turn, step, tan, fook, bong, etc. One piece at a time, each piece linking into the whole.

Rgds,

RR

sunkuen
05-06-2002, 02:34 PM
SLT,CK,BJ, the Dummy, the Pole, the Swords. If you don't have a dummy at home just do the movements in the air.

jesper
05-07-2002, 12:37 AM
Footwork is very important.

Besides stepping and turning you also need to focus on your kicking, since thats properbly the most difficult to learn.

Alpha Dog
05-07-2002, 03:21 AM
What you suck at the most is what you should train the hardest. Makes sense?

gnugear
05-07-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Alpha Dog
What you suck at the most is what you should train the hardest. Makes sense?

LOL! Very true!

yuanfen
05-07-2002, 05:25 PM
But self examination can also be supplemented by good advice from a knowledgeable sifu or sihing or simply a more experienced
person...with good experience-that is.

Martial Joe
05-07-2002, 08:01 PM
Other than SLT I would say footwork...

With training slt your working on your stance and everything else needed...with training the footwork you get all that moving...Knowing how to move your stance is so important...

popsider
05-09-2002, 06:44 AM
I would say your punch/striking. All aspects - air punches, sand bag, heavy bag. That's if you were only to train SLT and one other thing that is.

stuartm
05-09-2002, 06:56 AM
hi all,

Id agree with Martial Joe - SLT and footwork. Ive probably said this before but one of the best drills ive found for footwork is to to practice Lok Sau with one person coming forward with pressure, but no attacks, trying to make you lose your centre. You must use your footwork and structure learned in SLT to keep your line. I also recommend practising some basic standing Chi Kung - great for YGKYM.

Best Wishes, Stuart

popsider
05-09-2002, 09:29 AM
But the question is what do you practice when you are on your own - footwork drills are always a bit "empty" without a partner.

If you have a partner then I'd say if you do one thing then do chi sao.