PDA

View Full Version : how much sparring in your class?

Dedication
05-05-2002, 05:46 PM
I do northern eagle claw and i was curiuos as to how much hands on sparring other schools do. We do only a little but a good amount of partner drills. Partner drills are very situational though. So how much of what kind of sparring does your school do?

Merryprankster
05-05-2002, 05:47 PM
BJJ-every class, from 30 min to an hour's worth.

striking-I make sure to spar at least once a week.

lotusleaf
05-05-2002, 05:56 PM
Every class for 1 hour..we work on defense/counters then we spar. The first hour are drills, forms, warmups and stretches

Wingman
05-05-2002, 06:09 PM
Wing chun - 30 minutes warm-up and strething. 1 hr. 30 mins. of two man drills for those who do not know chi sao yet. For those who know chi sao, 30 mins. review two man drills. Then 1 hr. chi sao.

P.S. I don't know if you can consider chi sao as sparring.

Stacey
05-05-2002, 06:37 PM
yep its sparring. If BJJ practice is sparring then chi sau deninitely is.

shaolinboxer
05-06-2002, 06:18 AM
I spar every couple weeks these days, sparred 4 times a week when I was into sparring. I also roll about as often, trying to pick up the basics of ground fighting which are actually very similar to aikido in principal if not execution. Luckily, my training partners have very diverse and long histories in the martial arts...allowing for great post-class training sessions.

I've just begun to try some ju-waza (freestyle techniques), which is a situation in which one aikidoka squares off against many attacking from all directions. It seems a lot harder than sparring right now.

Dark Knight
05-06-2002, 07:40 AM
A couple time a week, its a skill that you need to keep up on. I do both stand up and grappling. (The usual combonation of start standing and work into throws and ground fighting).

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-06-2002, 10:50 AM
every class for a half hour to an hour.

stacy . .. as shaolin boxer just exemplified, most bjj guys refer to it as rolling not sparring. minus the technicality it was still mildy amusing.

Merryprankster
05-06-2002, 10:53 AM
GDA-true.