PDA

View Full Version : Springiness: Internal and External

Fu-Pow
05-06-2002, 10:31 AM
Doesn't it seem like with in all Chinese martial arts that there is this idea of "springiness" and "alignment."? (What I mean is alignment of the body structure and the natural tensile strength of the tendons and ligaments.) And that people that are good, regardless of style, have figured out these features of the human body and how to exploit them?

yutyeesam
05-06-2002, 10:55 AM
pick your analogy:

-different boats to get to the same island

-different paths to get to the top of the mountain

what i think is awesome about chinese martial artists is that the older you get with the art, the better you get. The external-internal paradigm I think is what makes CMA very different from other cultures' martial arts.

just my thoughts,

yutyeesam
05-06-2002, 10:57 AM
....not that other arts don't have this paradigm, I know they do, but in CMA, I think it is more developed.

No_Know
05-09-2002, 05:44 PM
"Doesn't it seem like with in all Chinese martial arts that there is this idea of "springiness" and "alignment."? (What I mean is alignment of the body structure and the natural tensile strength of the tendons and ligaments.) And that people that are good, regardless of style, have figured out these features of the human body and how to exploit them?"

Whatever you're referring to might be acquired, but not figured out. People that are good, regardless of style might use them to their advantage

Zantesuken
05-09-2002, 07:40 PM
Springiness and alignment, every martial art has this idea and most apply it in the form of explosive power.

The way Tai Chi works is that you try to reduce the visibility of your applying the power. That's why you train in push hands.

The first time you start out you'll try to make big circles when leading your opponent.

As you get better that circle becomes smaller and smaller until they don't even notice that you've lead them. They're just being pushed back.

That's how tai chi's springiness works. I'm not sure which one you're talking about cause I guess you can say Tai chi's springiness comes from the bottom ofthe feet and spiralling. so yeah!

les paul
05-10-2002, 01:19 PM
Got Sung?

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh

I have a secret.

Want to no the secret of springiness?

Sung.

Zantesuken
05-10-2002, 01:21 PM
it's pronounced soong!

les paul
05-11-2002, 03:59 PM
"You say potato and I say poatato"

"let's take the road to Maraco.............:)

Zantesuken
05-11-2002, 07:19 PM
haha i'm just kidding! sung = springiness but some people who are tight can also be springy!