PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu drawing

Hau Tien
05-06-2002, 12:18 PM
I was working on my notes (Our Sifu has us makes notes, including drawings), and decided I'd sketch out a typical "kung fu" type pose.

When I was quite a lot younger I used to do comic book style art, so I figured I'd give it a shot now. (As a note, I don't do all my notes that detailed yet... it's been a while since I've drawn this way, so it takes me a little longer:) )

http://www.mental-case.com/kungfu/CranePose-Rendered.jpg

That's the URL to the image... I'm going to do some more that are "real" poses from the style I practice (7* PM).

Just figgered I'd post the first one here to get opinions:)

Feel free to cut it down/compliment/offer criticism (Although not on the pose itself... I realize it's very likely made up;) )

Hau Tien

apoweyn
05-06-2002, 12:22 PM
okay, that's pretty d*mn cool.

Sum Sing Wong
05-06-2002, 02:51 PM
did you draw all of the stuff on mental-case.com? Thats some pretty good stuff if so.

guohuen
05-06-2002, 02:57 PM
Good stuff!

HopGar
05-06-2002, 03:28 PM
d a m n cool stuff. Did you draw all of that? if so - nice work. The only thing I can draw is space battles.

Hau Tien
05-06-2002, 03:46 PM
Yes... almost all of the stuff on the site is mine. The exception comes in the "art" directory. There are a few pics there I did not draw, but did the digital coloring on. I recently decided to try my hand at computer coloring comic book style art. I hadn't drawn for some time, so my drawing wasn't up to par... now that I've gotten some practice again, I'll be doing it all.

I'll post some more when I get them done:)

Thanks for the comments:)

Hau Tien

Qi dup
05-06-2002, 04:13 PM
I like your stuff man. Good work. I'm not wild about the no back ground stuff, I'd rather see some trees or mountains or something. that's juts personal taste though, nothing big. It would be cool to see some rough pencil drawings as well. keep it up! and to think, all those dead kittens....

Julien
05-06-2002, 06:16 PM
awesome pic

anyone else find it weird that the guy hasn't any nipples?

Stacey
05-06-2002, 07:13 PM
Learn to draw a stomache with proper breathing. Make him muscualar and ripped, give him a triangular torso and masculine hip to waist ration, but give him the buddah belly. A real kung fu master will breathe as such. Its hard enough to remove the cultural stigma..ie Dude are you pregnant, get in shape, but thats kung fu, so please keep it real.

Hau Tien
05-06-2002, 08:46 PM
Don't mean to sound like I'm correcting you... but the belly doesn't need to STAY pushed out after you breathe.

Many of the highest ranking people in our school have 6 packs, and breathe properly.

Also... My anatomy is very likely not correct, but then, I wasn't trying to make it so.

I appreciate the comment, though, so thank you:)

Hau Tien

Stacey
05-06-2002, 09:48 PM
Ok, just checking..its very cool though...especially the glow.

Hey, I saw loads of kung fu comics in china town. Intricate fight scenes and the art was amazing. One was about a tiger style guy and a ba gua guy.

kungfuyou
05-06-2002, 09:53 PM
Dude those are friggen TIGHT!!!
They would look hella bad as T-shirts! Ever think of making shirts?!?!? I know I want a couple already!! :D ;)

PaulLin
05-06-2002, 10:44 PM
This drawing is fine with style. But first, to mark the nose as the bottom up, is not a good nose in Chinese face reading.

The Chin Dynasty hair style may be the sign that the artist is not a Chinese but Western artist. The Western got the immage that all Chinese has that kind of hair just because that is the time they saw Chinese. In fact, I considered that is a shame rather than a culture. As same as what Chin Dynasty made women deformed the feets. That is a method of surpressing the common people and make them obey authority. It is a sign of slavery. I hate to see these signs.

Other wise, I like the drawing as in its style.

Hau Tien
05-06-2002, 11:04 PM
My apologies for any cultural faux pas. Obviously not my intention.

The hair... well... I just like how it looks, regardless of any historical/cultural signifigance it might hold. It especially looks neat whipping around in acitons shots;)

As for T-Shirts... I haven't done anything like that, no, but wouldn't be opposed to it. I'm actually currently on summer break and looking for a summer job. (I'm a mature student taking Computer Systems Technology) If I could find something doing art, hey... I'd love it:) Until then... guess I'll look for something more in my old profession... bouncing/security... although I'd really rather stay out of that industry. Maybe a nice landscaping job for the summer would be nice:)

Anyway... I've ranted enough... thanks for the comments, both positive and negative:)

I've done a couple new shots... but my pens are out of ink, so all I have done is the pencils for a Ding stance and a Seven Stars stance. Should be picking up some pens tomorrow, so I'll ink em, scan em, then color them and let you guys check em out:)

Thanks again!:)

Hau Tien

scotty1
05-07-2002, 05:07 AM
Cool drawing.

I like his trousers.

Kristoffer
05-07-2002, 09:20 AM
I love your style man!! Fecking good job there. PROMISE you'll keep posting your work here ok??

Lice
05-07-2002, 09:27 AM
Hau Tien,

For shirts check out http://www.cafepress.com/. They make one-off t-shirts(you don't need to order a bunch of them or anything). Basically, you upload the graphics you want for the shirt(or mousepad, etc). It costs you nothing as they just print make the shirt when there's an actual order.

Their site can explain it better than I can. The profit margin is slim, but for no risk you can't really complain.

Respectfully.

KC Elbows
05-07-2002, 12:12 PM
Wow. Very good. I've always wished I was a better artist, so that I could draw notes for the forms when I start teaching, and have a little manual that they can referrence when I'm not around.

However, there is one thing you could do to make your kung fu drawings more realistic. You need to have the guy holding posture while posting on KFO, as all the best kung fu people do so.

Maybe Gene'll send me some free stuff for that one.

Hau Tien
05-07-2002, 01:27 PM
Just finished another one up... this one is for my notes, so it's not such a "flashy" pose, but instead the Seven Stars Stance from the style I study.

http://www.mental-case.com/kungfu/SevenStarsStance.jpg

There it is:) Again... anatomy is quite likely not correct, but the pose is this time;)

KC: Hrm... perhaps a big crane stretch while in front of a computer posting on the forum?:) Maybe that will catch Gene's attention. Maybe it'll get me an art job, too;)

Anyway... hope you guys like it:)

Hau Tien

mad taoist
05-07-2002, 01:44 PM
It was the feet of wealthy women which were bound, not commoners (if that's what you said).

Julien
05-07-2002, 01:47 PM
hmmm.. what do u use to draw those with?

looks like u use what i do... i draw and color with flash and i add fx with adobe photoshop.

Hau Tien
05-07-2002, 01:51 PM
I draw by hand in pencil, then ink it with drafting pens. After it is inked, I scan it in and use photoshop to add the colors.

The coloring stage is actually a multi-step process as well. But that's a little beyond the scope of this forum;)

Hau Tien

Julien
05-07-2002, 01:55 PM
oh heh

u should really try Flash to draw... it's awesome. it smooths out all of your lines and stuff

i learned of it's usefulness when my cool scanner decided to stop working... it still doesn't work but i don't miss it because my pictures look much better now.

Xebsball
05-07-2002, 02:44 PM
Cool drawings dude, i like drawing too but i gotz no talent.
Id like to learn how to paint some day.

Goldenmane
05-07-2002, 05:30 PM
Pretty cool pics.

Just on the foot-binding topic: As I understand it, it was not the Ching that developed/imposed the practice, but the Ming.

The Ming were native Chinese, and the dynasty before the Ching.

The Ching were Manchu, took over China in about 1645 or thereabouts. Footbinding ("golden lotuses") was a practice of the Chinese nobility prior to the Ching conquest. The Manchu did not approve of the practice, or of the place in society that women were held which led to the practice.

Manchu women could walk, and had a large say in things like who they would marry.

Filthy barbarians... :D

The queue (the ponytail/braid) was, however, imposed by the Ching, as a symbol of loyalty to the Manchu empire.

-geoff (sorry for the digression).