PDA

View Full Version : OT: Spiderman

KC Elbows
05-06-2002, 02:21 PM
Saw Spiderman this weekend.

I love technology.

Those of you who don't remember, Spiderman was originally a cartoon with an infectiously catchy tune featuring the classic lyric "..listen, bub, he's got radioactive blood...," (The Firm would be the next band to attempt to utilize radioactive in a rhyme, with questionable success). That cartoon was about this kid in a red suit endlessly falling off buildings before commercial breaks, then, after the break, he would be at least seventy feet higher than he was before the break and have plenty of time to save himself.

Next, Spiderman appeared alongside what were called his "Amazing Friends". At this point, it was clear that fame had gotten to Spiderman's head, as he hardly ever appeared anywhere near his Amazing Friends, but relegated them to the second half of the show.

In between those two, there was a live action version of Spiderman. In this version, Spiderman liked to stare blankly at the camera. Many believe that this was due to his Spider Sense tingling under the impending inevitability of cancellation. Ironically, the Captain America show under the same producers fared no better, even with an indestructible shield made of clear plastic.

[NOTE: I am told that Spiderman was first a comic book, but I think we can rule out this theory, as nothing as potentially cool as Spiderman could possibly involve reading, even in little balloons. Just ask any kid, reading is just soooo uncool.]

Well, after years of rehab, Spiderman decided to have another go at it, and he really meant it this time. He got a big budget and put together some fine special effects, but unfortunately, he came into work one morning, and fundamentalists had blown up his set. He was able to find what was left of them, punched them a few times in order to subdue them(hey, like a disembodied head never attacked Spiderman before-he's got to play it safe), and left them in front of the police station.

So, he filmed the movie again.

And it was good.

Willem Defoe as Green Goblin completes this movie, and let me tell you, this green goblin can put on a beating better than an abusive parent on a scotch and cocaine bender. Even out of costume, DeFoe looks like the dad from hell, and those who have seen Wild At Heart will be able to really feel the DeFoe dementia at work.

There's also a beautiful woman named Mary Jane in the movie, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one in that theater who wanted to light her head on fire and suck on her toe. Or maybe I was. Anyway, she was beautiful, and like any good Mary Jane, she gave me cottonmouth.

Aunt May is a lot more plumpy than the original Aunt May, but I'd still take a go at her.

The best thing about this movie is spider man swinging around New York. Its phenomenal, breath taking in every way. This is one to see in the theaters, as I suspect it will lose something on the small screen. It also sticks fairly well to the basic Spiderman plot. I would have liked more of the type of camera work used to infer spider sense, but that's just me, and it didn't detract from the movie in any way.

All in all, I give Spiderman four and a half out of five radioactive spiders. Like any good Willem DeFoe movie, its got swinging, Mary Jane, and a lot of poor parenting. And its a good one for the kids.

Dark Knight
05-06-2002, 02:32 PM
As a fellow hero I will say the movie was excellent. We worked together a couple times when I visited NYC and overall I think he is doing a great job.

But on a personal side I will have to stop by and let MJ know what I carry in the utility belt;)

Peter should understand what it is to be a man and do the right thing with the woman. Since he cannot at this time I will of course step up to the plate and give MJ the service she deserves.

Sorry Pete, great guy but you need help in the chick department.

Dark Knight

KC Elbows
05-06-2002, 02:36 PM
Its fortunate for you that Robin hasn't been checking the forum lately, or you'd have to find someone else to be your "ward".

old jong
05-06-2002, 02:37 PM
Will it take long before this thread turns into: Spiderman is more grappler than striker! ;)
Oh no!...I did it! :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :p

Dark Knight
05-06-2002, 02:39 PM
BTW, for all those who think MJ is sweet and innocent, the HULK already bagged her. You can imagine how pure she is....

Sum Sing Wong
05-06-2002, 02:44 PM
uh...Spiderman was a comic first. No theory about it.

Badger
05-06-2002, 02:46 PM
Inverted punch on Flash Thompson.
Cool dodging of strikes(better than Aikido).
Used sidekick from the ground to beat wrestler.
Used guard around neck to flip badguy.(Better than Judo & BJJ)
Super-fast punches & flips.

Spidey is the ultimate Mixed Martial Artist.:)

Badger

KC Elbows
05-06-2002, 02:46 PM
Sum Sing Wong,

Considering the scholarly and serious tone of the rest of the review, I can understand your confusion. However, the thing about it not being a comic first was a joke. The rest of it was serious. Especially the part about lighting Mary Jane's head on fire and sucking on her toe.:p

Badger
05-06-2002, 02:51 PM
Does he smoke after sex with Mary Jane or just smoke Mary Jane?

Badger

Sum Sing Wong
05-06-2002, 02:55 PM
I just thought you were comic book illiterate, I get confused easily. But the Hair on fire stuff really did happen.

KC Elbows
05-06-2002, 02:57 PM
Actually, its a peer pressure thing. He sees Mary Jane everywhere, hell, even the jocks have Mary Jane, but he can't seem to get any Mary Jane himself.

KC Elbows
05-06-2002, 02:59 PM
Sum Sing Wong,
I was just giving you flack. You are correct, it was a comic book first.

Royal Dragon
05-06-2002, 04:38 PM
You know, that guy that climbed the Sears Tower in a Spider Man suite, and later did comercials for Gingis Formal wear?

I wonder if we will be seeing him any time soon now that this movie is out?

@PLUGO
05-06-2002, 06:01 PM
KC,
you forgot to mention Spiderman's came appearances on the educational Children's show The Electric Company where he would fight villians like

Dr. illeterate

and

the Tooth Decay Fariey . . .

:rolleyes:

qeySuS
05-06-2002, 07:16 PM
I just came from the movies, i loved it.

There were three things i did not like (the rest i loved).

1) When he tells her how much he enjoys looking into her eyes and something, way too long scene and super korny.

2) When she says she loves him and all that, same thing as before way to korny and way too long.

3) The whole "Mess with one of us yuo mess with us all!" thing, when people scared the goblin away by using papercups as their artillery, it was a bit excessive in the American "we stand united" undertone or whatever.

Then of course it all ended with a big American flag :) But i had no problem with that it was cool.

Rest of the movie i loved, from the trailers and such i figured the special effects were a bit unreal, but they looked very real and convincing in the movie, great spiderman costume IMO.

rogue
05-06-2002, 07:26 PM
Hey, where's Gwen?

Hau Tien
05-06-2002, 08:55 PM
I was going to point out the Electric Company appearances, but someone beat me to it... so I guess I'll point out the 90's revision of the cartoon.

Personally, I love the old one... always have. Especially the two-color, two-frame dancing in discos!

RED BLUE RED BLUE...

Ok ok... I'm done;)

Oh yeah... The movie rocked:)

Hau Tien

diego
05-06-2002, 10:07 PM
How long is it, normal two hours or what?.

mun hung
05-06-2002, 11:00 PM
Wow! I wonder how much my old Spidey comics are worth now after this movie. I've got about 6 or 7 first issues of "Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider Man" from 20 years ago, and some old "Amazing".

shaolinboxer
05-07-2002, 05:56 AM
It's a bit over two hours. I really got a kick out of this flick, and I thought it carried the feeling of the original spider-man very well (if you have never read stan lee and steve ditko's original story, pick up a copy of marvel masterworks an be amazed by the incredibly good comic writing from 1964ish).

As for the whole new yorker solidaridy scene, I thought it was a very tasteful tribute to 911. Queysus, you have no idea what it was like here after the trade centers collapsed. It was, and still is, no joke kid.

Budokan
05-07-2002, 06:26 AM
I agree with Rogue. As someone who read Spider-Man way back in the early 70s, (and have collected comics from earlier than that) I'd much rather see Gwen Stacey than that harlot Mary Jane in the first Spider movie. MJ was always too light-hearted and hare-brained to take seriously, IMO.

The physics of Spidey swinging and looping free-style in parabolic arcs is all wrong, too. He's not moving as naturally as a free-falling object should in a one gee field. It doesn't look real enough and comes across as awkward CGI.

Nice jugs on the chick who played MJ, though. They're worth the price of admission, I guess.

Budokan
05-07-2002, 06:48 AM
It was also sloppily made with little attention given to continuity. Go to movie-mistakes.com for an up to date listing of all the continuity errors so far...

halfling
05-07-2002, 07:05 AM
Its an hour and 50 minutes. Also, I've been trying to decide who the villan in the next one will be. I was thinking maybe the hobgoblin? Any ideas

qeySuS
05-07-2002, 07:20 AM
still thought it was korny :)

shaolinboxer
05-07-2002, 08:06 AM
DOn;t you think, fellas, that he shoulda hit a lot faster...if I had spider reflexes I'd throw like 10 punches a second.

ewallace
05-07-2002, 08:07 AM
I remember that. That was hilarious. My pops worked in the S/T when that happened. I think it happened at night if my memory serves me correct.

red5angel
05-07-2002, 08:22 AM
Great Movie! I thought it was awesome, some of the sappy scenes were a little long but hey, whatt ya do?

As for the next one I kinda think Dr. Octopus will be the next bad guy! If they go for the cool factor though we may see Venom.......

dezhen2001
05-07-2002, 08:26 AM
The physics of Spidey swinging and looping free-style in parabolic arcs is all wrong, too. He's not moving as naturally as a free-falling object should in a one gee field. It doesn't look real enough and comes across as awkward CGI.

Nice jugs on the chick who played MJ, though. They're worth the price of admission, I guess.

and here i thought it was gonna turn in to another thread about Physics :D
can't wait till the movie opens in the UK. U guys from the US are lucky - we have to wait months beofre any movie comes out over here :(

david

qeySuS
05-07-2002, 08:34 AM
Are you serious Dez? :) I live in Iceland and i saw it yesteday, and it's been on regular showing since the 3rd.

Hau Tien
05-07-2002, 08:36 AM
My guess would be that it would be the Green Goblin again (This time with Harry Osborne). They set it up nicely for the sequel.

They also mentioned "Dr. Conners", and as all us nerds know, Dr.Conners is The Lizard. So it is possible he would be there too.

For the third movie? My bet goes on Doctor Octopus.

And god... I hope they don't do Venom... they'd have to change the story way too much (Not enough time in a movie), which would make me mad;)

Just my guesses:)

Hau Tien

dezhen2001
05-07-2002, 08:37 AM
well, where i am it's not being released until at least the end of the month :(
which sux :mad:

david

Kristoffer
05-07-2002, 09:38 AM
It's not ****ing out yet.. here that is. I am the BIGGEST Spider-man fan. I am thy god. Thy god say:
Eat thy vegetables!!!

anyway for all Marvel freaks:
http://www.thehulk.com/

Now this will'be just as awsome as SP me think!!! :) :) :)

qeySuS
05-07-2002, 10:22 AM
I may have to kill you for mentioning vegetables.

Kristoffer
05-07-2002, 12:08 PM
hehe
;)

Shaolindynasty
05-07-2002, 01:45 PM
Spiderman was the best superhero movie I've ever seen. The "continuity errors" are simply part of the process of condenceing several years of comics into a 2 hour movie. I think they handled that really well.

I work for the USA today newspaper and I read an article at work that said the sequal will feature Doc Ock and the lizard(already knew it when they mentiond connors in the movie). It starts filming in january and will be released in 2004.

Has anybody heard about the Daredevil movie comming out?
Also Ang le is going to direct the Hulk movie comming out.
Marvel has a ton of movies comming out I saw an article about it i should have kept here are some I remeber though

Black panther
Deadpool
Deathlock
Ghost rider

can't remeber anymore

Kristoffer
05-08-2002, 04:12 AM
yah i knooow :D
Hey did u guys miss my link?? http://www.thehulk.com/
It's a trailer to the HULK MOVIE, now go watch it ****it :D

kungfuyou
05-08-2002, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by halfling
... I've been trying to decide who the villan in the next one will be. I was thinking maybe the hobgoblin? Any ideas

The green goblin WAS Hob Goblin. They just gave him another name.

Dr. Octopus is Dr. Octavius. I know I couldn't wait for this movie!! Loved spiderman for YEARS!! The next one I hope they do make him more fluent when web-slinging. I agree with dezhen2001, it did make him too awkard looking. Maybe they did that because he was just getting used to swinging from web to web. Didn't want him to look like a pro at it yet. I dunno, just hope he gets the hang of it by the next one. That'll be GREAT!! :)

KC Elbows
05-08-2002, 09:24 AM
Hobgoblin was not green goblin. Norman Osbourne was the green goblin, he dies, his son went crazy and became the green goblin, he was cured, then some other guy became the hobgoblin, whose costume was much cooler.

Hang on, I've got to adjust my pocket protector

Kristoffer
05-08-2002, 10:35 AM
Dang ya beat me to it.. Hobgoblin was some other guy. Jack something??:confused:

Black Jack
05-08-2002, 12:29 PM
I thought the movie was the shiznit, but again I am a HUGE comic's fan.

Oh and for you old timers with that Gwen Stacy crap, all I have to say about Mary Jane is one thing.

Cherry Pie.

Radhnoti
05-08-2002, 01:20 PM
DK...I think you're mixing up MJ with the girl that married Rick Jones. MJ was SUPPOSEDLY a virgin when she married Pete...not that all that means anything in the new continuity. :rolleyes:

Shaolindynasty
05-08-2002, 01:38 PM
I beleive the original Hobgoblin was Bugle reporter Ned Leeds,he was the guy who "stole" Betty Brant from Spidey(Betty Brant is JJJ's secratary). After that was Philip Macendale I think, he was a mercenary before he became Hogoblin.

Norman Osborne was the original Green Goblin who died but was revealed to be alive and was behind the whole "clone saga".

Harry Osborne was the second Green Goblin who died (I think it was a delayed reaction from the goblin formula) before he died he put a plan into motion that included the chamelon to "bring back from the dead" Peter parkers parents. They turn out to be morphing robots.

There was another Goblin for awhile during the clone saga but I didn't follow that to well, I think he bowed out after a short time he was actually a hero not a villian.

My god, and you guys thought you were nerds.

Shaolindynasty
05-08-2002, 01:40 PM
BTW

"MJ was SUPPOSEDLY a virgin when she married Pete..."

What gave that impression, I was never aware they covered any subject like that in the book. Who cares anyway, you guys are pervs.