PDA

View Full Version : Just observed a BJJ class

shaolinboxer
05-07-2002, 12:19 PM
It seems there is a BJJ school right near my office, so I went to have a look see.

Here are my observations:

- they never switched partners ( in 45 min)

- saw some tough guys who grunted and strained their way through a technique, then babbled about it doing nothing

- lots of other guys standing around doing nothing, then trying out the technique, then back to nothing (like doing sets at the guym)

- about 20% of the class was very serious about training..these guys were very relaxed...even the huge guys didn't really flex their massive arms as they made their transitions.

- everyone except 2 guys had very large muscles...the two skinny guys wore gis

- the head instructor was super nice and seemed very patient

- the techniques theselves were situational (he does this you do that), but were obviously the result of many years of experimentation....oh my god!!! bjj has kata!!! ;)

- the techniques themselves are beautiful and fascinating

- there was a heavy bag in the corner and sparring gear/focus pads behind the desk

Overall, it seemed a great place to train. I look forward to training there soon.

IronFist
05-07-2002, 12:22 PM
Sounds cool, dude. Glad you found a school you like :)

IronFist

Merryprankster
05-07-2002, 12:34 PM
Yep, sounds about right.

Yep, Shadow wrestling and shadow boxing are kata :)

The straining ones are newish (you'll be doing it too :))

What rank was the instructor and who is he under? Just curious--I'm not about to tell you anything bad!!!

shaolinboxer
05-07-2002, 01:07 PM
Oh I didn't ask the instrutor his rank, as he was sorta busy instructing... he had an austrailian sounding accent. It is Renzo's school. I think I'll start soon with a class a week, to get a feel for it and see how much I get out it. I'm still fascinated and having a great time with aikido, but the opportunity to study BJJ at a good school is too good to pass up I think :).

Merryprankster
05-07-2002, 01:15 PM
If you are training at Renzo's it's top notch. You'll be doing quite well in no time.

I have heard rumors of incurable ringworm from that place. Look into something called Kenshield Skin Protection IF the ringworm rumors are true. I'm not knocking Renzo's! I've just heard.... and I guy I know who trains at a Renzo affiliate had Kenshield...

Wash your gi after every class, and take a good solid shower yourself :)

shaolinboxer
05-07-2002, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the excellent advice about skin treatment...it is a serious concern of mine. What about wearing those ear covering head gear thingies? Do they help protect against ear infections? I fear cauliflower ear...and I've had battles with mat fungus I don't even wanna mention. Guess it comes with the territory.

Julien
05-07-2002, 02:01 PM
sorry, but that is disgusting.... *gags*

u can get that stuff in MA classes?

Mutant
05-07-2002, 02:11 PM
Yep, and be sure to always wear a condom! ;)

Merryprankster
05-07-2002, 02:11 PM
If you grapple long enough you will eventually pick up ringworm. It WILL happen.

The headgear will help prevent cauliflower ear, but it can be a pain in the ass. There are many different kinds. I think you'll find the halo sort to be the most streamlined--it works if you don't have cauli, but once you do, they're useless and you have to go with the traditional style. They both come in harder and softer varieties. I found that taping the ear a la Sakuraba helped when the ear started to develop that "sensitive," feeling.

Cliff Keen makes both kinds I think. Brute is also another common company.

I highly recommend asics gel knee pads--sleeve type for both knees, but I have some knee problems.

I have had my ear drained once, and I have VERY light cauliflower ear that has hardened in the other. You really can't tell in either ear that I got it.

The headgear will NOT prevent ear infections, as far as I know. I just make sure to clean everything--or at least dry it thoroughly... although I have been guilty of the "gi funk," a couple of times.

Julien
05-07-2002, 02:14 PM
god...

what's a ringworm?

Merryprankster
05-07-2002, 02:26 PM
It's a fungal infection... no worse than athlete's foot, but rather contagious. Any number of anti-fungals will take care of it.

Julien, have you considered a local boxing club or wrestling in your quest for an MA? They're cheap and easy to find good instruction.

Julien
05-07-2002, 02:28 PM
there is boxing where i am from, but i don't think i will take it

as for wrestling... well, let's just say i haven't had good experiences with grappling... (haha, funny... sex jokes and stuff...)
i'm too light

i really think i will go into wing chun.

Merryprankster
05-07-2002, 02:35 PM
As long as it's a good school, you're golden.

And wrestling is a weight class sport, as is boxing, so size isn't an issue.

My point is only that you can frequently find good instruction in these arts at cheap prices, and they are usually easy to get to. Sometimes you have to range far to find good instruction for other things.

But like I said, if it's a good WC school, run with it.

Xebsball
05-07-2002, 02:48 PM
So my Video Game/Emulation posts are moved to the Martial Media forum but some dudes revelation to the greatness and confort of rolling on the floor with men gets to stay.

Its a funny world this one
:D

Merryprankster
05-07-2002, 02:53 PM
Don't worry--I'm sure it will get moved soon :)

Ralek
05-07-2002, 03:43 PM
You'll find that your kung fu is defensless against anyone ranked blue belt or above.

You won't have any problem finding people to fight in a challenge match there if you want to go for real with strikes and no rules. There was this one kung fu guy who challenged Renzo at his school and was being rude so Renzo just triangle choked him unconcious and left him laying there on the floor unconcious. Kung fu has been slaughtered at that school many times.

qeySuS
05-07-2002, 03:49 PM
Just dont look funny at his daughter, he choked her boyfriend out once :) (said so in a pride interview).

rogue
05-07-2002, 05:58 PM
SB,
you may find that the BJJ fits in real well with your Aikido. I can't think of any other art that can fill it's purpose like BJJ and complement just about any art. Once I get my black it'll be time to swing by the BJJ and hit the mats again.

Merryprankster
05-07-2002, 06:02 PM
Rogue,

I have to agree with that! A little BJJ compliments other arts so well, and it's so darn FOREIGN that it doesn't really take anything away because it doesn't get in the way, if you catch my meaning.

Budokan
05-07-2002, 08:21 PM
Well , that does it. I'm changing styles. I want ringworm, too.

rogue
05-07-2002, 08:31 PM
Yup, a little work with the closed and open guards goes a long way. For me BJJ is a last resort if I go down and I can't hold someone off with kicks from the ground, hopefully I can still make a couple of the escapes I learned work. Even the legendary six months in BJJ is enough to make a difference in your ground work, as long as you're not up against someone who is really into the art.

How about this, TKD is considered traditional, but BJJ is actually older, has a lineage to Judo and then to Jujitsu. So that would make BJJ a traditional martial art. See traditional martial arts can compete and win in mixed competition.:cool:

Robbie
05-07-2002, 09:31 PM
TKD considered Traditional? You must be joking.

dre
05-07-2002, 10:12 PM
Shaolin Boxer : Are you SURE you want to do this? Do you want to become a BJJ zombie like Raelk? I mean, what are you doing!?
Do you know what BJJ DOES to people? If you want groundfighting , take Vale Tudo, take Silat, take Sambo , ANYTHING , but BJJ. They will **** your brain.

Don't convert!

KnightSabre
05-08-2002, 01:06 AM
Ringworm?

Hells Teeth,I've been grappling for 4 years and I've never had ring worm,where on earth do you dudes train?

Ralek,hahaha good to have you back dude.
You bring some color to this place.

Ish
05-08-2002, 04:22 AM
i heard you only get it after 4 and a half years, you don't have long. lol

Merryprankster
05-08-2002, 06:38 AM
Knight--

I've only had it twice :)

And it's usually when you go to other places that don't take care of their freakin mats!

All it takes is somebody with shoes on walking across the mat. If they're carrying it, you can get it.

Polaris
05-08-2002, 06:55 AM
Never had ringworm problems, but the mats are well taken care of where I train.

ShaolinTiger00
05-08-2002, 08:43 AM
Ringworm is the best, It compliments the blue in my belt so nicely.

Seriously, any coach/teacher/sensei worth his reputation will keep his mats clean and fungus free. and heavy bags and pads should also be scrubbed down.

I had ring worm once back in high school from wrestling. Its not as bad as it seems and with medicine goes away quickly.

I like the halo hear gear as well. The triangle ones seem to slide more and they irritate me.

Ralek
05-08-2002, 09:30 AM
Shaolin Tiger. How are you doing? Do you want to fight again? When can you fight?

BJJ has a history of defeating kung fu. When i defeated shoalin Tiger with my elbow-knee escape he was totally defenless against it. He could not stop the elbow-knee escape and i sucessfully pulled guard.

Anyone who lives in Maryland and wants to fight me, just let me know.
www.bjj.org/images/royce-delucia.jpg

Dark Knight
05-08-2002, 09:42 AM
Ralek, what do we get for fighting you? Cash, A car? anything?

Ralek
05-08-2002, 09:45 AM
Shaolin Tiger. Your a BJJ blue belt now? I think i will have more trouble pulling guard next time.

White Belt = begginer in BJJ. Skill level can very from no skill at all to fairly good.

Blue belt = about a year or more BJJ training. Blue belts have been known to repeatedly tap judo blacks. Someone with a blue belt skill level has the ablity to defeat any kung fu practioner. This has been proven through hundreds of no rules challenge matches.

Purple Belt = Much more skill than a blue. Most people never reach purple belt. There are people who are stuck at blue for 5 or 6 years and still havn't reached purple belt skill. Many consider the purple belt to be the first "advanced" rank. Purple belts can whip ass and usually have no-rules challenge match experience.

Brown belt = even more skilled.

Black belt = This rank qualifies you among the best fighters in the world (literally). Vitor Beltfort, Minotauro(possibly the worlds best fighter), Sperry, Rickson Gracie, Fabio Gurgel. If your a black belt you can compete and hang with the best fighters in the world. It doens't mean your invincible. But it will take another world class fighter to beat you in a 1 on 1 fight. If your a black then you are the shizkit.

chingei
05-08-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
any coach/teacher/sensei worth his reputation will keep his mats clean and fungus free. and heavy bags and pads should also be scrubbed down.

no matter how clean, mat crud will find its way in. there are many types of junk you can get 'in' your skin. it can be a real pain.

Ralek
05-08-2002, 11:06 AM
Shut up about the ring worm. It's no big deal. It's easily cured by using special cremes. You guys are making it sound like it's a terminal disease.

Dark Knight
05-08-2002, 11:13 AM
Ralek, what do we get for fighting you? Cash, A car? anything?

chingei
05-08-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Ralek
Shut up about the ring worm. It's no big deal. It's easily cured by using special cremes. You guys are making it sound like it's a terminal disease.

there's other fun **** you can pick up from the mat that can take a while to get rid of. not terminal, but a pain nonetheless

Ralek
05-08-2002, 11:30 AM
Dark Night. If you fight me then you get defeated. You don't get money. You get to have your mind opened and realize the power of BJJ. And then you will convert to BJJ.

In my fight with shoalin tiger i did an unstoppable elbow-knee escape. Shaolin Tiger was totally defenseless agaisnt it. Now he does BJJ and he is currently a blue belt.

Dark Knight
05-08-2002, 12:00 PM
What do I get when I beat you?

Dark Knight
05-08-2002, 12:55 PM
Ralek? What do I get for beating you? Im not going to waste my time if I get nothing.

Badger
05-08-2002, 01:11 PM
I'll give you a fat-free yogurt if you beat him.

Badger

Dark Knight
05-08-2002, 01:25 PM
I could use it;) Thanks

rogue
05-08-2002, 03:04 PM
"Ralek, what do we get for fighting you? Cash, A car? anything?"

You'll get awfully tired waiting in a park for him to show.

Ralek, who do you study with again?

Badger
05-08-2002, 03:45 PM
Ralek studies under Master Pak Man, Master Donk ke Kong & Grandmaster Mar Eo.

Julien
05-08-2002, 04:18 PM
hmmmm... is BJJ really that good?

dre
05-08-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Ralek
Dark Night. If you fight me then you get defeated. You don't get money. You get to have your mind opened and realize the power of BJJ. And then you will convert to BJJ.

In my fight with shoalin tiger i did an unstoppable elbow-knee escape. Shaolin Tiger was totally defenseless agaisnt it. Now he does BJJ and he is currently a blue belt.

Can I fight you? I want more than you're beat-up yugo if I win though.

No way tyo stop BJJ? What about I beat the **** out of you before you touch me.

rogue
05-08-2002, 06:47 PM
Julien, for up close and personal on the ground it's the most comprehensive and efficient art there is. It's very complementary to almost any art.

Julien
05-08-2002, 09:03 PM
ah, cool... what is the style like?

KnightSabre
05-09-2002, 03:37 AM
BJJ utilises the principles of superior body positioning and submission techniques to defeat the apponent.

To do this the BJJ practitioner will take the fight to the ground where he/she is highly skilled at this range.
The BJJ practitioner through the use of leverage and correct body manoevering(shrimping etc) can defeat a much bigger and stronger(Unskilled) fighter.

Chokes,arm locks,neck cranks etc are weapons that the BJJ practitioner will use to subdue or hurt the apponent.

BJJ complements most styles as it is in a completely different range and therefore does not contradict them.

Hope that helps

Ralek
05-09-2002, 08:50 AM
Shoalin tiger. Where are you? Let's fight agian. I challenge you. I'm a lot better than i was last time. I was just a begginer then.

Now i have bought the BJJ book called "Brazilian Jiujitsu: Theory and Technique" by Renzo and Royler Gracie and John Danahar and Kid Peligro. So now i have a BJJ book and i have learned a bunch of new techniques from it. It has more techniuqes than the "Gracie Total Defense CD-ROM(TM) has.

Dark Knight
05-09-2002, 09:21 AM
Ralek, you still havent told me what I get when I beat you. I want to know so I have a good reason to come out there.

Midnight Oil
05-09-2002, 10:15 AM
Is this "Ralek" guy for real?

Dark Knight, I will mail you $5 if you beat the snot outta him.

Dark Knight
05-09-2002, 10:30 AM
WOOOHOOO, Im building a money warchest already:)

Hundred more of these and Im there (Gotta cover cost)

Badger
05-09-2002, 12:16 PM
I'll throw in a Diet Dr Pepper with the fat-free yogurt.

Badger

ShaolinTiger00
05-09-2002, 12:20 PM
Ralek, a must have book for bjj is BJJ: the Master Text. I have both of the books (Gracies and this one) and this book is 3 times the better book and students and instructors of bjj agree.

http://www.jiu-jitsu.net/handbook.shtml

Shaolin Tiger. How are you doing? Do you want to fight again? When can you fight?
- I'm doing well. thanks for asking. Actually I'm competing in a judo tournament this Saturday and plan on starting to compete in bjj tournaments as well. Do I wan't to drive up to Fredneck and roll in a park with a backyard grappler, when I could be training with blue and purple belts or judo people with nice facilities? Not really, but If I'm ever in the area again, I'll let you know as I'd like to see how you've progressed.

BJJ has a history of defeating kung fu. When i defeated shoalin Tiger with my elbow-knee escape he was totally defenless against it. He could not stop the elbow-knee escape and i sucessfully pulled guard.

I love Ralek's revisionist history. I think this comes with bjj as Rickson may be the king. Someday I'll defeat 600-700 opponents.
As a bjj player, I also know that an escape from the side mount into a guard is hardly a defeat. more like going from a bad position to a neutral one. Question: Ralek why didn't you attempt a single submission while you had me in the guard? I could think of about 30 things I would do to a guy who was as clueless as I was to bjj. guess the gracie CD rom wasn't as good as promised... you'll never have that chance again unless you find a traditional striker.

Shaolin Tiger. Your a BJJ blue belt now? I think i will have more trouble pulling guard next time.

Yep actually a blue in bjj and 4th grade (yonkyu) in judo. I'm starting to learn some sambo informally as well. I still work my sanshou on my heavy bag to keep my punches and kicks sharp.

pulling guard= butt-scooting tactic used by frightened girls(and smart brazillians outweighed by 80 lbs.). There is much more to bjj than the guard, which takes you from a bad spot to a better one, and that is what bjj is really about: position then submission, (although the better you get the more you'll work from worse positions)

good position starts with good takedown skills. *see judo and wrestling* that put you in the mount or sidemount or knee on belly or kesa gatame or north south position or....to begin with.

gotta go things to do.

LEGEND
05-09-2002, 01:39 PM
Renzo skool is great!!!

Ralek
05-11-2002, 08:39 AM
Shaolin Tiger. I didn't know what to do when i pulled guard. But now i have "BJJ: Theory and Technique". The book shows moves from white belt to black belt.

Why are you afraid to fight me? Are you afraid i will elbow-knee escape you like i did last time? You were getting really tired last time. Last time i showed mercy and didn't KO you when you got tired.

Ralek
05-11-2002, 08:44 AM
Shaolin Tiger. I challenge you to mortal kombat. Do you accept or yeild?

Last time I was going to do a fatality on you when you were tired but i decided to show mercy instead. Let's fight again.

dezhen2001
05-11-2002, 08:47 AM
:rolleyes:

chen zhen
05-11-2002, 11:35 AM
Ralek, do you think it's a religion or sumthin`?

Ralek
05-11-2002, 02:11 PM
I am a missionary. I defeat kung fu people and bring them show them the auwsome power of BJJ. Shoalin Tiger has converted to BJJ after i succesfully pulled guard on him. He was totally defensless and could not stop it.

I evangelize by force. I don't convert people by talking. I do it by fighting. Proof is in the fact that everyone i have ever fought has converted. I challenge any one of you to fight.

DelicateSound
05-11-2002, 03:43 PM
No Rolls, Shaolin Tiger got board watching you run away.

And you're not a BJJ drone, you're merely a small h omosexual child who tries to rape mules with broken bottles and drink the anal blood.

And if that doesn't get this sh!te thread deleted, what will?

***gots!

dre
05-11-2002, 10:11 PM
Alright rell , where do you live. I will fight.

Shaolin Tiger : I know (am aquainted with) the guy who wrote the Massah text, he lives about 1o miles away from me. They are about as culty about their BJJ as Raelk.

Ralek
05-12-2002, 05:36 AM
Dre. I live in Fredneck Maryland. You can fight me, just make a post so i know you want to fight.

NorthernMantis
05-12-2002, 05:45 AM
Hey Ralek, I think Tinman would like to take up the challenge.

Kristoffer
05-12-2002, 06:47 AM
Delicate Sound is correct :cool:

No_Know
08-21-2003, 09:14 AM
"I am a missionary. I defeat kung fu people and bring them show them the auwsome power of BJJ."

Ralek has chosen to As-s-u-him the missionary position.

"Proof is in the fact that everyone i have ever fought has converted."

I like Kung-Fu. I can't mind any level or arena of combat. -ish

I waited for you where we were to meet the day we were to meet for forty minutes--fifteen before scheduled to meet with you and twenty-five minutes after scheduled to meet with you, on a snow covered park bench in a Wintery snow.