PDA

View Full Version : A good Holding Art: MP have any suggestions?

red5angel
05-07-2002, 12:48 PM
Anyone know a good art to look into for holding/chin na type techniques? I work security at a place where I have to drag drunks out by the hair almost daily and am looking for something to use that can be learned quickly.

MerryPrankster, you seem well versed in the grappling arts......

Merryprankster
05-07-2002, 12:59 PM
Aikido is a popular art among bouncers, I am told. I haven't done any. Lots of Aikidojo's are CRAP unfortunately.

BJJ would be next to useless :)

Wrestling is not too shabby, to be honest.

Lots of "LEO" type training incorporate standing locks--might want to check with the local LEOs. Prison Guards might also have some ideas.

Basically, any art that incorporates lots of standing clinch work will teach you to immobilize and move an opponent--Greco-roman wrestling for instance--no "locks", but you'll learn to clinch and work somebody over properly.

The problem is you won't get any weapons training.

I think you'd be best off checking with the LEO's.

red5angel
05-07-2002, 01:24 PM
Hmmm, not sure if there are any non "crap" Aikido schools in the area :)
As for bjj why would it be totally useles? I assume you are talkingabout the ground fighting thing?

Hmmm Wrestling, I am unclear as to what makes greco-roman wrestling, is that also colleg/highschool level wrestling?

Merryprankster
05-07-2002, 01:28 PM
In greco, only incidental contact to the legs is allowed--you can't attack the legs or do "reaping" type throws. Since contact is only above the waist you tend to develop exceptional clinch skills.

BJJ--other than the sensitivity you develop in BJJ, most of what you do is ground specific. Standing and ground are so different, you'd be better off investing time in something else unless you just want to learn BJJ for the sake of it. It might be good if you wanted to pin somebody down, but wrestling will learn you that too--but I gather you want to hold somebody and move them towards the door, so I tried to direct you to more "standing grappling," type things.

red5angel
05-07-2002, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the advice MP, anyone else?

Black Jack
05-07-2002, 01:41 PM
Yeah,

I would skip the aikido and go for Daito-ryu Aiki-Jujitsu, if not that, then a ju-jitsu system like Danzan-ryu, Hakka-ryu, Goshin-ryu, or something else along those classical JJ lines, maybe even Small-Circle Ju Jitsu, hopefully a JJ place that also does randori, if that can not be found there is also Hapkido, which has a ton of joint manipulations and cranks, that system, like Aikido, is based on Aiki-Jujitsu.

The FMA systems also use a good deal of joint cranks and controlling tactics.

Or find a eclectic modern self defense class that offers stand-up grappling.

Merryprankster
05-07-2002, 01:45 PM
Crap!!

I forgot all about the JJ stuff and Aiki-jiujitsu...

Thanks!!! You're a life saver.

African Tiger
05-07-2002, 01:50 PM
I assume you're talking about controlling and not engaging, as if you were working a night club.

From experience; a friend of mine skilled in BJJ went to the floor with some drunk, then his best friend came from behind my friend and cracked his collar bone with a chop.

My suggestion would be chin na or aikido. Whatever will keep you standing, unless you are taken to the floor, of course.

yenhoi
05-07-2002, 02:08 PM
My suggestion would be FMA.

Look into aikido on your own, or train with a aikido guy, but dont goto a aikido school.

Push when they pull, pull when they push - lock, move, repeat.

Tigerstyle
05-07-2002, 02:21 PM
Judo Chop! :p

A friend of mine was a bouncer/bodyguard and a majority of his training was in Aiki-Jutsu (sp?) and Aikido. His technique was very strong and clean yet relaxed.

Another friend of mine grew up learning Chin Na techniques. He's not a bouncer, but he's got the skills to be if he wanted. His technique is smooth and he's got great sensitivity. He always seems to know when to transition to a different technique.

Yet another friend of mine (look at me, living vicariously through others :D) wrestled in high school and has the uncanny ability to pick any spot on the floor and put someone exactly there. He used to earn lunch money by betting other wrestlers that they couldn't hold him down for 30 seconds. "I always ate good," he told me once. He's really good at taking people down, and defending takedowns.

If I wanted to be a bouncer, I would definitely want to learn everything they had to offer. At the same time, much of what they all knew was very similar to each other as far as principles of movement and "fighting" instincts. The first two liked to fight dirty also :eek: .