PDA

View Full Version : Speedola

tri2bmt
05-08-2002, 06:53 PM
Have any of you had extensive training in speed for punching? I'm looking for some sort of target or appratus to help my punching speed or maybe just share some of my ideas and maybe someone can shed some light on how to make the ideas better.
Here's the main ones I use;

Straight air punching with and without putting my hip and legs into it. I find this exercise great especially when I do a set of twenty singles, then twenty 1-2's then a set of 1-2-3's and so forth until my arms are sore. At least the brachallis muscle gets sore quick.

Trying to punch and backfist with enough speed to put out a candle. I love this exercise and have gotten quite good at it with the backfist. My goal is to put out the flame with one punch then light it with the next.:)

Punching at a paper target. Usually I just try to stop the punch as close as I can get.

Rhythm bag. This is more for accuracy and depth perception but it still requires some speed.

Having a friend hold a focus pad and he moves it as soon as he sees me move as I try to punch it nontelegraphacally. (spell?)

Anyway I hope someone can share something not directly involving a partner as my friends are lazy.:(

THanks

IronFist
05-08-2002, 09:38 PM
Try maybe jumping pushups. They can build explosiveness if done properly. Properly means first in the workout when you are fresh, and NOT to failure.

IronFist

Qi dup
05-08-2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by tri2bmt

My goal is to put out the flame with one punch then light it with the next.:)

Hell yeah!

IronFist
05-09-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by inic
i recently started knife throwing. wow, is that ever giving my forearms a workout!

You're not supposed to move your wrist at all when you throw knives, so I don't think your forearms should be getting sore at all.

IronFist

tri2bmt
05-09-2002, 01:54 PM
So inic, is the chain just dangling from the bottom of the bag or tied at the top. My bags have no bottom attachment on them but I could at the top.

tri2bmt
05-09-2002, 01:56 PM
Oh yeah, the stopping before the paper is for control and to try and just glance the target. I also do it with some kicks.
Other times I will punch throught the paper about three to four inches to work on penetration technique.

Haiaho
05-12-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by tri2bmt
My goal is to put out the flame with one punch then light it with the next.:)

I don't get it? How would the flame re-ignite?

Qi dup
05-12-2002, 01:21 PM
The Jedi, that's how.

tri2bmt
05-12-2002, 03:18 PM
Qi dup is entirely right and I suggest you try it, haihao.