PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun/JKD- A comparison

straight blast
05-09-2002, 12:03 AM
Has anyone had a look at this book? It's got William Cheung representing Wing Chun and Ted Wong representing Jeet Kune Do. If you've seen it, what did you think? I know W. Cheung's interpretation of WC isn't the only one (a couple of things in there I saw made me wince) but neither is Ted Wong the only authority on JKD. I thought it was interesting, but I'd like to see it with a couple of different Sifus.

Ish
05-09-2002, 01:05 AM
i thought it was quite good definatly better than some books i've read, i don't think i would do things exactly the same as was suggested in some of the situations but its intesting all the same. it could be good to see another version with different people

anerlich
05-09-2002, 05:15 AM
It's an interesting curiosity. Not rubbish but hardly indispensable.

I'm from William Cheung's lineage.

popsider
05-09-2002, 06:20 AM
What is JKD ? As far as I can tell it is whatever the person teaching it wants it to be. I bet there were similarities between what Bruce Lee did and Wing Chun - unsurprising given his background - but I don't think that there is such a thing as JKD any more. That's not a criticism of anything anyone does - but the term takes in such a broad spectrum of stuff that I can't see how there can be any real underlying principles that define it.

rubthebuddha
05-10-2002, 04:48 PM
:D

was that a can of worms you just opened? i'd a swore i heard something.

fa_jing
05-15-2002, 09:13 AM
I thought it was a great book. Mostly for the JKD demonstrated by Ted Wong. My sifu is a JKD student of Ted Wong's. The wing chun theory was a good read. Showed a couple good WC techniques. Wonder if they'll ever put out a part II?

P.S. Ted Wong's JKD represents Bruce's techniques and style at the time he taught Ted.

-FJ

yuanfen
05-15-2002, 09:47 AM
straightblast:

To answer your question-
IMO of course- it wasnt a particularly informative book. But then I am not into twc or jkd by any means.It might be helpful to those who are into twc and jkd.