PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Black Jack

Badger
05-09-2002, 08:25 AM
What are the best books on Combatives?

Badger

Black Jack
05-09-2002, 09:17 AM
Oh man, oh man, there are a LOT of books, more than I could list, its such a field that it can become a academic/collectable hobby for those really interested in training military combatives, close combat, turn of the century self defense or war-time jui-jitsu.

Here are some classics that I like, some you can buy now as reprints, some you have to hunt for, with these types of books though and the fact that there are hundreds, hunting is the best part of the whole deal.

1. Kill or Get Killed, Colonel Rex Applegate 1943 *This IS the classic cqc manuel. The other is Close Combat Files of Rex Applegate but I would get this first, he has one or two other books, like Riot Control and a Point Shooting Book.

2. Get Tough! W.E. Fairbairn 1942 *Another classic, so is the Fairbairn book, Defendu and Shooting to Live.

3. Deal the First Deadly Blow, Dept of the Army 1963.

4. Do or Die, Colonel Biddle A.J. Drexel 1937

5. Cold Steel, John Styers-194? Marine h2h training manuel. Student of Biddle *excellent

6. American Combat Judo, B.J. Cosneck 1944

7. How to Fight Tough, Jack Dempsey 1942

8. A Defense Manuel of Commando Jiu-Jitsu, Irvine, Cahn 1943

9. V-5 Manuel, Capt. Wesley Brown, U.S. Navy H2H instructor, I love this book as I have met some guys who know the Brown system, he taught wrestling I believe up here in Evanston at Northwest U. *Excellent

10. Black Medicine-Dark Art of Death I,II,III-Paladin Press *Excellent!

There are a ton-ton-ton-more I like the current stuff from Hock Hochheim, his Books are Excellent and full of information, I am going to pick up his Military Knife Combat book as it is dosed with account after account of live encounters thoughout modern military history of one on one to the death knife combat, his tapes and seminars are also very good.

Jerry VanCook is also good, so is Jim Grover who has excellent WWII marine cqc tapes, the best on the market.

go to www.paladin-press.com to see a wealth of great info on all sorts of nasty subjects. Loompanics is also good.

Badger
05-09-2002, 09:38 AM
Thank You Sir!

Badger

Black Jack
05-09-2002, 10:42 AM
No probem bud,

Enjoy your search and I hope you enjoy.