PDA

View Full Version : Mantis Weapons

PJO
05-09-2002, 05:22 PM
I would like to hear about any mantis weapons forms. Particularly the ones that play on the hooking strengths of the mantis. Mantis knife, a knife in each hand, works very well as does the cane. Any comments on this? Tell me about any other weapons you've learned in the mantis.

Tainan Mantis
05-09-2002, 06:23 PM
In PM some sets have been part of the curriculum longer than others.
Some schools have sets that date back at least to Liang Hsuehsiang. Where he learned them doesn't seem to be known, although I could be wrong on that.
Some of these old sets , especially spear, are just 2 man drills with not much emphasis on a form.

In our school the weapon sets, like the empty hand sets, are for 1 and 2 people.
Or you could say the form is a bunch of 2 man drills strung together.
In some cases these set's original styles are still known. Most notably San Tsai Jian from Hsing Yi Chuen.

Pan Long Stick from Song Taidzu, although this was so long ago it can't be verified.

6 Harmony stick from Long Fist.

And many popular forms were from Jing Wu, so it is hard to say their original style.

But in many cases it doesn't matter as weapons forms from different styles are often very similar.
This is because the weapon method is built on the reality of the weapon not the empty hand style.

Iron Tiger86
05-20-2002, 06:52 PM
the first weapen that comes to mind are the komas

yingching
05-21-2002, 01:46 AM
The closest weapon that I can think of that is similar to the empty hand work of the Mantis would be the Double Daggers (Cern Bei Sau). They digging and pulling is somewhat i guess similar to the Ou-Lou Choy.....
Ying Ching

tiger lui
05-21-2002, 06:54 PM
Two weapons that use hooking and pulling are Gik for long range and double hook swords for short range,

There are many weapons in TCPM and i agree with TM on the reality of the weapon but we have a couple of weapons that showcase the mantis style,one is nine ring saber,it uses a lot of mantis hand hooking with the free hand as well as crushing steps

TaiChiStorm
05-22-2002, 06:42 AM
I have learned a short stick form of Meihua PM. It is magnificent how effective it can be. The form is originatly a fan form ,but becuase you never really open your fan ,you can use a hard ,little stick as well.
You mostly strike against the wristles of your opponent ,(knee-caps ,hands...). That gives you a good opportunaty to defend yourself against knifes etc. And the best thing is that you can carry your (deadly) weapon everywhere.
The form by itself is very nice ,too: Many jumps and dynamic technics.

Does anybody know this form by the way??

Greets ,
TCS :cool:

Shimbad
05-22-2002, 07:31 AM
I believe that the weapon training is a important part in any Martial Art. Personally I like the broadsword but also like the butterfly knives

Brad
05-24-2002, 05:40 AM
Two weapons that use hooking and pulling are Gik for long range and double hook swords for short range,
I've learned a bit of 2 handed praying mantis sword, but I don't know any of the empty hand stuff so I'm not much help :D

The Willow Sword
06-10-2002, 11:49 AM
one of my favorite weapons for the mantis practitioners are the mantis claw knives, these are small blades that are shaped like a claw and fit in the mantis hook hand posture, very deceptive and well concealed. however what you will find is that with these weapons you will have to seriously hurt or kill your attacker so i do not recommend using these weapons frivolously. the one disadvantage if them is that you are unable ,unless you drop the knife, to switch from claw to fist for punching or drilling. actaully now that i think about it you could only utilize one knife for one hand and leave the other open for the punching and drilling. in fact i would recommend that more so than having one in each hand,,that way you would have better control and maybe the risk of killing your attacker would be lessoned a bit.

many Respects ,,,The Willow Sword

mantis108
06-10-2002, 12:24 PM
Hi TaiChiStorm,

I have learned a short stick form of Meihua PM. It is magnificent how effective it can be. The form is originatly a fan form ,but becuase you never really open your fan ,you can use a hard ,little stick as well.

Interesting, we have a Fan Form in Taiji PM (GM Chiu Chuk Kai lineage). I think I have an article on it somewhere. I will have to look it up. I saw the form but didn't have the time to learn it. Would you have more information regarding the origin (lineage and all) of your fan form? I am interested to find more about it. Thanks

Regards

Mantis108