PDA

View Full Version : Xingyi or Bagua

Joe
05-09-2002, 05:26 PM
First off i'd like to say im fully aware that it is the person taking the art and not the art itself that determines the winner of the fight...
OK, lets say there are 2 people one takes Hsing-I and one Bagua.
they are the same hieght/weight (lets say 5'10 200lbs) and both are both masters of their art. Who do you think would win the fight and why?

count
05-09-2002, 07:26 PM
Bagua would win, of course!:cool:

Scarletmantis
05-09-2002, 07:31 PM
I have to agree with count. It's been proven on numerous occasions. I like Xing Yi though. Very direct. If I had a medieval army under my command, I can think of no better art to teach my troops. Maybe there's something to the Yu Fei story after all?

Joe
05-10-2002, 03:14 PM
lets rephrase master of the art... to taking there art for 20 years

and why do you both think Bagua would win?

count
05-10-2002, 04:32 PM
Dude, I think bagua would win because I know bagua. I fight with bagua, I train with bagua, that's my favorite art. It's my opinion. It's what you asked. There is no way to tell from you scenerio who will win. Are you trying to say one art is superior? It doesn't matter what art you choose. It comes down to experience. How old was the Hsing-I guy when he started this 20 years of study? How old is he now? How often does he fight? Does he win all the time, some of the time or never. Did he ever fight someone who knew bagua? Did he ever learn anything about bagua from a teacher or a coach? did he get laid last night? If your talking about an arts complexity, I would say a Hsing-I guy after five years might beat the bagua guy. After 10 maybe a draw. After 20 I think the bagua guy would win. But then, I haven't studied both so my opinion is only a guess. What do you study? Why?

Don't take offense at my comments and welcome to the forums!

boy_analog
05-12-2002, 07:01 AM
I'm schooled in the view that the internal styles truly are different routes to the same goal, so I'd call it a draw. My guess is that there's at least as much difference in the different lineages of both xingyi and bagua as there is between the styles.

I'd really be interested to hear from someone that trains in one of these styles, and has friendly challenges with comparable students from the "other" style. I don't put much faith in the folklore -- talk is cheap even when it's fresh, let alone stories that have been endlessly regurgitated.

Felipe Bido
05-12-2002, 09:14 AM
Yes, yes....to Count you must listen! :D

Count, excellent response, as usual

Leonidas
05-12-2002, 03:25 PM
Oh come on people, its obvious that Tai Chi would kick both of their asses. :rolleyes: :p :D