PDA

View Full Version : Balancing Wing Chun practice with Tai Chi...

monkey man
05-10-2002, 05:03 AM
I was wondering if anyone could give me any help on a query. I've been practicing Wing Chun for a few years now, but have just recently (november) started Tai Chi (yang style short form). In order to avoid mixing up the energy benefits of the two styles, I am trying to get into a routine of practicing the Tai Chi form in the morning and evening, and the Wing Chun forms in the day. Can anyone foresee any problems with this? (In terms of harming my internal energy system?).

Thanks..

dezhen2001
05-10-2002, 05:17 AM
i think that as long as you don't mix up the principles and movements when you are training, then there shouldn't be a problem.

My Sifu teaches both wing chun and Chen taijiquan very successfully. As long as you keep things clear, i don't think there should be a problem.
Just make sure you have enough experience in wing chun as to make that definition though.

good luck :)
taijiquan is very cool,

david

red5angel
05-10-2002, 06:36 AM
Dezhen, I know some top level guys who study both as well, not Yang but Chen style, and they seemed to have integrated the two into thier training side by side with no ill effects, and even to some degree and advantage.

Shadow Dragon
05-10-2002, 06:44 AM
I have heard of some WC schools that first teach a bit of TC and only than start on WC.

dezhen2001
05-10-2002, 06:50 AM
Red5: yup, i can believe it. Like i said as long as everything is clear, then there should be no problems... Chen taijiquan actually looks very beautiful and amazing (also good for retaining balance in combat). I'd love to learn someday :)

david

red5angel
05-10-2002, 07:07 AM
Yep, we use some basics from Chen style to help with balance and rooting. It seems to be helping alot!

dezhen2001
05-10-2002, 07:41 AM
cool, never heard of that, sounds good though.

i meant more for learning how to go with what the opponent does, ie. to balance his action. That's the basis of taijiquan right? (i have limited experience). Kinda similar to WC - don't force something to happen

The energy generation is very different though - silk reeling energy is very difficult and different to the WC way, so for me i wouldn't mix up the 2...

c ya,
david

stuartm
05-10-2002, 07:54 AM
I practised TC for many years before WC, and i now teach WC and it is of great benefit especially when training the stance , breathing from the abdomen, using fa ging and chi sao. You shouldnt have any problems !

Good luck !

Stuart

red5angel
05-10-2002, 07:57 AM
For most of us we only do some warm up type stuff, some short drills designed to give us root and balance. Develope some Qi.
I am not familiar with tai chi on the whole and couldnt say how it integrates into WC. If you are interested I may have someone you can contact who would be a big help. PM me and I will give you his address.

red5angel
05-10-2002, 08:59 AM
Dezhen - for some reason I am not able to recieve PM at the moment, check yours and you will find an address you can email me at.

IronFist
05-10-2002, 08:23 PM
Isn't Tai Chi elbows out and WC is elbows in?

Ok, maybe Tai Chi isn't "elbows out," but isn't it "a fist's distance between the arm and armpit?"

These could get confusing.

IronFist

gnugear
05-10-2002, 10:34 PM
I did Chen Tai Chi for almost a year and didn't find it conflicting at all. Although Tai Chi is much "rounder", I spent most of my efforts on cultivating spiraling energy and power releasing.

Wingman
05-12-2002, 06:05 PM
I practiced Wu style tai chi before I studied wing chun. Wing chun and tai chi have both similarities and differences. Both styles don't use force against force. Both styles "borrow" the opponent's force and use it against him. As Ironfist mentioned, tai chi and wing chun differ in the elbow position. In tai chi, the elbow is about a fist away from the ribs; while in wing chun, the elbow is placed as close to the centerline as possible.

IMHO, having a background in tai chi is an advantage if you study wing chun. I didn't have much difficulty in relaxing when practicing wing chun because in tai chi we are taught to relax. I also didn't have much difficulty in chi sao because tai chi has a push hands practice. Both chi sao and push hands aims to control your opponent; although their methods are different. Wing chun tries to control the opponent by occupying the centerline; while tai chi controls the opponent by controling the elbow.

As a whole, wing chun and tai chi complement each other. Just be sure you have a solid background of either style before you study the other.

vt108
05-13-2002, 04:21 AM
"I was wondering if anyone could give me any help on a query. I've been practicing Wing Chun for a few years now, but have just recently (november) started Tai Chi (yang style short form). In order to avoid mixing up the energy benefits of the two styles, I am trying to get into a routine of practicing the Tai Chi form in the morning and evening, and the Wing Chun forms in the day. Can anyone foresee any problems with this? (In terms of harming my internal energy system?). "

The only problem is time you spend on Tai Chi which you could spend on Wing Chun :) This would lead to faster Wing Chun improvement.

urban tea
05-15-2002, 02:48 PM
Redangel,

I know a top tai chi guy that practices chen and yang. He is known for his Chen and Yiquan.

Anyways, a wc guy once said to me, " It's okay to train in other styles to see what is out there. But first you have to train in wing chun for a long time. I been training wing chun over 20 years. I use wing chun as my core and learn other styles to see what else is out there that can help my wing chun."

I agree but I'd have a hard time wondering when I have a good understanding of wc. I'd give myself.. at least 5+ years before i'd even THINK about trying another style.

I'm not saying I will get a good understanding of wc in 5 years. I may have somewhat of a foundation. =]

chen zhen
06-28-2003, 01:17 PM
I visited a WT school once (leung ting), and the instructor told us: "In WT we have something called Qi Gong. It's like the WT version of Tai Chi."

Ignorant f*cker, he was.

Phenix
06-28-2003, 01:45 PM
so what is the different between TaiJi and Wing Chun....

What is the different between TaiJi and the so called Wing Chun Qi gong?

Why does it needs to be balance?

foolinthedeck
06-28-2003, 02:05 PM
does it depend which you did first?

there seems to be some ****geneity of opinion that doing alot of TC first will help your WC, but the other way around?

i have found that after 10 years of WC, TC is hard to learn because of slight differences. I find the stepping difficult as it seems to be more 'taking' a step rather than the WC 'thrusts' into opponent. (not so good description sorry)

having said that i had absolutely no problems learning wild goose qigong with Sifu Moy, so yes i think a lot of it must be the stepping... i'd like to learn xing yi now since it seems easier to accomodate from my foolish point of view.

Dawood - speaking of Sifu Moy et al. Isnt it the case that although they do both WC and TC, Sigong Tse didnt let them begin TC until he was happy with them doing so? i seem to remember that in my days Sifu Moy hadnt begun TC until approx 1997 and at that time students who wished to learn Dayan Gong / Wild goose had to ask for permission and be considered...?

dezhen2001
06-28-2003, 03:06 PM
hehe, this thread has come around again and again :)

foolinthedeck: well as far as i know, anyone can do Dayan Qigong as well as any kung fu class... but it is *highly* recommended to do EITHER wing chun OR Chen Taijiquan up to a reasonable level first, so as no confusion. People are still asked what they want to achieve with class etc. but i dont think its so much like you said above.

I know some people who only do Chen and have done since the start, and some who only do wing chun... or both.

i think Sifu has been training Chen now for around 8 or more years im not sure exactly. I know wing chun for at least 13 or 14 and qigong for that too.

you may be confused with the hard qigong which is not taught in regular classes :)

dawood

Phenix
06-28-2003, 05:22 PM
In my humble opinion, for sake of discussion.

There are similarity and uniqueness between WC and TC.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Similarity,
Ultimately, one has to arive at FaJing will not shown in appearance.
neutralization and issuing is the same instant.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Difference and uniqueness

WC inherit White Crane Wing Chun from Fujian, Thus, it has the "aroma" of one hand "dealing" and another hand offending.
In additional to Zee Moo concept which becomes air tight.

Thus, WC is : The Character of Crane is not fighting, Thus, it has the virture of Phoenix. The spiritual drangon will shown only its head, thus, it cannot be detected or predicted.

TC believes in one can fajing everywhere one contact, thus, as one similar to a sphere any point of a sphere is a triangle.
Thus, Taiji is like flowing water of Yang Zee it constant flow and nerver end.

Pro and Con

WC at leat the modern post WW2 emphasis in effective applications instead of the "body" or the art. Thus, the White crane method of Zee Moo or centerline, and Tan Da type one hand "dealling" and one hand "offending was emphasis to an extreme.

This extreme of emphasis cost the art to degrading the training of the body. Thus, " the FaJing will not shown and neutralization and issuing is the same instant." The cultivation of this type of power was gradually lost. Good WC people such as sifu Tse Siong-Ting from YM lineage.... are experimenting trying to find out and re fomulate about this path of cultivation.

TC mainly emphasis in "body" cultivation since it was greatly promote as good for health. Practicing it does bring good health to the practitionar around the world.

Since the focus is in health and most stuck at the changing of weight training for Fajing level.
Thus, most has difficulties to reach " the FaJing will not shown explicitly; and neutralization and issuing is the same instant."

Thus, When TC people cross hand with WCK people, due to the superiority of the White Crane center line potential. TC peole will have no fight due to the Center line potential dis-integrate the root easily even the WC people doesn't have internal cultivation.

However, if the WC practitioner meets an advance TC practitioner who has achieved to a certain degree of "wholesome integration and fajing " as so called "peng jing"... WC practitioner will be easily uprooted.

As a summary, generally speaking, TC has steps to cultivate the Jing to advance level. However, fighting application is rare. WC has great application. However, steps and clarity to cultivate fajing is very rare.

Finally,

even at the end, when both WC and TC people achieve the
FaJing will not shown; and neutralization and issuing is the same instant.

Thier characteristics are still different.

The Character of Crane is not fighting, Thus, it has the virture of Phoenix. The spiritual drangon will shown only its head, thus, it cannot be detected or predicted.

vesus

Flowing water of Yang Zee it constant flow and nerver end.

IMHO,

Not a thing needs to be balance. IT is just as it is.
knows the characteristics that is the key.

I might be wrong and I might be right.

I hope that the
Hidden dragon and croucthing tiger or advance grandmasters who lurkers in this forum throwing in some Jade and good stuffs. :D

Phil Redmond
06-28-2003, 07:42 PM
>>WC at leat the modern post WW2 emphasis in effective applications instead of the "body" or the art. Thus, the White crane method of Zee Moo or centerline, and Tan Da type one hand "dealling" and one hand "offending was emphasis to an extreme.<<

I think you're saying too much simplicity can form mechanical movements.

yuanfen
06-28-2003, 07:50 PM
Hi Hendrik- replies in brackets after snips from your post.

In my humble opinion, for sake of discussion.

There are similarity and uniqueness between WC and TC.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Similarity,
Ultimately, one has to arive at FaJing will not shown in appearance.
neutralization and issuing is the same instant.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Difference and uniqueness

WC inherit White Crane Wing Chun from Fujian, Thus, it has the "aroma" of one hand "dealing" and another hand offending.
In additional to Zee Moo concept which becomes air tight.

((I dont recall the Zee Moo. The key is both hands being used
in a balanced mutually reinforcing way. Both can "offend" too.))

Thus, WC is : The Character of Crane is not fighting, Thus, it has the virture of Phoenix. The spiritual drangon will shown only its head, thus, it cannot be detected or predicted.

((True. Things can change in mid path as well))

TC believes in one can fajing everywhere one contact, thus, as one similar to a sphere any point of a sphere is a triangle.
Thus, Taiji is like flowing water of Yang Zee it constant flow and nerver end.

(Water is water. Energy is energy. The analogy can apply to wing chun too))

Pro and Con

WC at leat the modern post WW2 emphasis in effective applications instead of the "body" or the art. Thus, the White crane method of Zee Moo or centerline, and Tan Da type one hand "dealling" and one hand "offending was emphasis to an extreme.

((Why extreme. The body can be cultivated too. I think that you are over-generalizing about wing chunners. They vary))

This extreme of emphasis cost the art to degrading the training of the body. Thus, " the FaJing will not shown and neutralization and issuing is the same instant." The cultivation of this type of power was gradually lost.

((Endangered but not lost IMO))

Good WC people such as sifu Tse Siong-Ting from YM lineage.... are experimenting trying to find out and re fomulate about this path of cultivation.

((Good for TST. I have read his writing on the subject. But dont have to reformulate or imitate taiji. The triangle within the sphere
is a well known wing chun concept.))

TC mainly emphasis in "body" cultivation since it was greatly promote as good for health. Practicing it does bring good health to the practitionar around the world.

((Depends on what else is done. Chen Man ching drank and smoked- didnt live that long))

Since the focus is in health and most stuck at the changing of weight training for Fajing level.
Thus, most has difficulties to reach " the FaJing will not shown explicitly; and neutralization and issuing is the same instant."

Thus, When TC people cross hand with WCK people, due to the superiority of the White Crane center line potential. TC peole will have no fight due to the Center line potential dis-integrate the root easily even the WC people doesn't have internal cultivation.

((Some wing chun folks do have internal cultivation and are not easily uprooted. Depends on who, when, what how))

However, if the WC practitioner meets an advance TC practitioner who has achieved to a certain degree of "wholesome integration and fajing " as so called "peng jing"... WC practitioner will be easily uprooted.

((Sure. Reverse too. Who what where when))

As a summary, generally speaking, TC has steps to cultivate the Jing to advance level. However, fighting application is rare. WC has great application. However, steps and clarity to cultivate fajing is very rare.

((Not a bad summary. Rare but not non existent))

Joy

Phenix
06-28-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Phil Redmond
>>

I think you're saying too much simplicity can form mechanical movements.

That is not I mean.

IMHO, Chinese MA is a multi-dimentional art, the foundation to build these MA are Daoism/ buddhism/TCM type of models.

Since the concept of "body" and application are the core of Chinese development. Thus, it goes extreem when the other side is not covered.

Phenix
06-28-2003, 11:16 PM
((I dont recall the Zee Moo. The key is both hands being used
in a balanced mutually reinforcing way. Both can "offend" too.))

Zee Moo is the old term for Chong or center. back in 1850 time people uses Zee Moo mostly and Chong less.

Certainly could be Both hand offend or both neutralizing. however, here I am using White Crane's of FuJian's "trade mark" DNA to contrast TC and not speak of the extreme case. ---HS

Thus, Taiji is like flowing water of Yang Zee river it constant flow and nerver end.

(Water is water. Energy is energy. The analogy can apply to wing chun too))

Sure, But this is a sentence describe by Yang family.
Trying to Show the unqueness is the purpose of qouting this statement for in comparision with the WCK. ---HS

Pro and Con

((Why extreme. The body can be cultivated too. I think that you are over-generalizing about wing chunners. They vary))

It is extreme because WCK can be stereo typely seen as only Pak DA and Chain Punch in the 60-70's. what else beside use this to fight?

It is extreme because very rare WCners talks about internal cultivation. You almost can't find an article about WCK and body cultivation between 1950 to 1990. and that is 40 years.
40 years fills with article about effective fighting.
likes it or not most of WCK's power is hard and external and rely on fast hands.

Even a book about WCK qigong in SLT, the medirians and power path are not accord to TCM. Thus, it shows lacks of "body" cultivation.

Eventhough certainly some is different since the above cannot represent the whole WCK. However, Without the components, Cultivation is difficult but not impossible using Trial and erro method. ---HS

This extreme of emphasis cost the art to degrading the training of the body. Thus, " the FaJing will not shown and neutralization and issuing is the same instant." The cultivation of this type of power was gradually lost.

((Endangered but not lost IMO))

some hong kong related
Kuen kuit of the three WCK sets are importing TaiJi's phrases. Those are the facts that WCners has to admit.

So where is WCK's own? That is a question we all needs to ask ourself honestly. it we claim "not lost." ---HS

Good WC people such as sifu Tse Siong-Ting from YM lineage.... are experimenting trying to find out and re fomulate about this path of cultivation.

((Good for TST. I have read his writing on the subject. But dont have to reformulate or imitate taiji. The triangle within the sphere
is a well known wing chun concept.))

TST invent the term "Lap Nim" and " Jang Die Lek" , imho, correct me if I am wrong. And that is very respectable.

On the other hand,
In Randy william's books, there are all evident of Randy some how get the Kuit of the WCK 3 sets which importing TaiJi's phrases. IMHO, correct me if I am wrong.

So, wck people was examining into Yee Chuan and Tai Ji in hong kong wass a fact that cannot be deny.

The TRiangle withing the Sphere is introduce by Chen MAn-Ching in his 13 chapter. Before that we don't see any WCK people write any article about it.
The analogy of Hammer and Nail on fajing was describe in pg 46, if my memory serve, in a Yee Chuan's book Yau of Yee Chuan. Again before that no evident that WCK describe things this way.

Again, IMHO, correct me if I am wrong. ---HS

((Depends on what else is done. Chen Man ching drank and smoked- didnt live that long))

TaiJi is accepted today on its healing capability.
Where have we seen SLT recognized by it's healing capability. not to mention, even the YJKYM is still not clearly define and changing for past 50years. from clamping the bottle hard to....

Chen Man-Ching's personal life will not affect the healing capability of TaiJi. ---HS

((Some wing chun folks do have internal cultivation and are not easily uprooted. Depends on who, when, what how))

Certainly, some wing chun folks do have internal cultivation, however, how many percents of them, and a question always is where those internal cultivation methodology is from? Yee Chuan? TaiJi? Trial and erro? if it is WCK's own that uniqueness has to be specificaly shown. and up to now, close to non. ---HS

((Not a bad summary. Rare but not non existent))

Agree.

Yup. So, I am waiting for WCners to show WCK's unique internal cultivation.

The answer has to be methodological and implementable and unqiue.
Shao Lin's best art, Rebel's best art, Tan Sau' best Kiu Sau....Qigong.... all doesn't do the job.

kj
06-29-2003, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by Phenix
It is extreme because WCK can be stereo typely seen as only Pak DA and Chain Punch in the 60-70's. what else beside use this to fight?

It may be insightful to consider the general demographics of the students at the time of their learning, and how this may have impacted both their perspectives and the emphasis of training. Especially the largest groups from Hong Kong and the significant number who went on from there to teach and shape the popular face of Wing Chun today.

TST invent the term "Lap Nim" and " Jang Die Lek" , imho, correct me if I am wrong. And that is very respectable.

We use the term "jahng dai lik" regularly, and apply the concept incessantly. If lop nim is another reference to "nim lik," I too had heard a rumor that Tsui Sheung Tin invented the phrase. Perhaps this notion arose because he puts an extraordinary emphasis on the concept. My misconception on that was corrected, as Leung Sheung also used the phrase having learned it from Ip Man.

Some people find depth in Wing Chun by seeking outwards. A few have found depth by exploring inward. Some are content with whatever presents itself on their current path, and yet others are unconcerned if there is more substance there or not.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

yuanfen
06-29-2003, 06:51 AM
KJ sez:I too had heard a rumor that Tsui Sheung Tin invented the phrase. Perhaps this notion arose because he puts an extraordinary emphasis on the concept. My misconception on that was corrected, as Leung Sheung also used the phrase having learned it from Ip Man.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Certainly, some wing chun folks do have internal cultivation, however, how many percents of them, and a question always is where those internal cultivation methodology is from? Yee Chuan? TaiJi? Trial and erro? if it is WCK's own that uniqueness has to be specificaly shown. and up to now, close to non. ---HS
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The key to good wing chun are the direct competent transmissions.

Wing Chun folks have never been big on developing a literature
as the lierati of the taji crowd have done- after the literati
long after Chen Wan Ting became fascinated with taichi after Yang
spreading it.

Wing Chun literature is a recent event and naturally the literature is therefore uneven- with people borrowing expressions from the familiar existing corpus- taichi, Sun Tzu etc. Borrowing expressions and understanding the content are not the same.
Again in semiotics and interpretation of signs and expressions
the grasp of the intent of the speaker or writer is important.
"My father and I are one" can have one meaning in Christian theology and a different one in Buddhist epistemology. But the words used may be misleadingly the same.

Wing Chun has not become the health fad as taiji in the parks have become. Thanks heavens... the park taichi folks have almost no concept of self defense. But good self defense can be good gor health too and properly taught wing chun points to that.
I hope that the self dfense aspect is never lost in wing chun.Joy

Phenix
06-29-2003, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by kj

We use the term "jahng dai lik" regularly, and apply the concept incessantly. If lop nim is another reference to "nim lik," I too had heard a rumor that Tsui Sheung Tin invented the phrase. Perhaps this notion arose because he puts an extraordinary emphasis on the concept. My misconception on that was corrected, as Leung Sheung also used the phrase having learned it from Ip Man.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

KJ,

Thanks for the information and correction.
Certainly, these terms are important for describing the cultivation.

Regards
Hendrik

Phenix
06-29-2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by yuanfen

Wing Chun literature is a recent event and naturally the literature is therefore uneven- with people borrowing expressions from the familiar existing corpus- taichi, Sun Tzu etc.

Borrowing expressions and understanding the content are not the same.

Again in semiotics and interpretation of signs and expressions
the grasp of the intent of the speaker or writer is important.
"My father and I are one" can have one meaning in Christian theology and a different one in Buddhist epistemology. But the words used may be misleadingly the same.

Joy,

Great.

yuanfen
06-29-2003, 08:48 AM
Hendrik- The current Journal of Asian Martial Arts has the prolific author and ex Taiwanese- Bostonian kung fu master Yang J Ming
on the cover and in the feature article interview. I didnt read the article- at least not yet... but there is an old picture of him
in a standing jong posture that looks remarkably wing chunnish..
in internal cultivation.

You might want to take a look at it.

Yang in an off hand comment once said that wing chun is just a branch of crane- one of those great overgeneralizations.

BTW Leung jan was a TCM person... so are several other wc people even currently.

Somewhat as is the case with taiji---so also with wc-- different folks bite off different parts of the pie...getting it all- few work on it.

yylee
06-29-2003, 04:14 PM
[BThe TRiangle withing the Sphere is introduce by Chen MAn-Ching in his 13 chapter. Before that we don't see any WCK people write any article about it.
The analogy of Hammer and Nail on fajing was describe in pg 46, if my memory serve, in a Yee Chuan's book Yau of Yee Chuan. Again before that no evident that WCK describe things this way.

Again, IMHO, correct me if I am wrong. ---HS
[/B]

Triangle within the sphere in TC? I feel like the sphere is within the structure and the triangle is the projection vectors :) Noi and Ngoi?

IMHO (again if memory serve), the Yee Chun h&n is done more with a wave movement from the ground up. My h&n understanding in WC is that the fist(nail) is only a contact point, the mass still comes from the body(hammer). The motion is more like the whole body mass all come at once. Think of the fist being the knuckle of a bigger fist - your whole body.

flaco
06-29-2003, 04:59 PM
i think taiqi will help you alot, taiqi has many great throws, if your teacher knows them, and as far as the elbows, what will matter is which one you practice more, and i think wc drills are faster, and develope habit easier, but taiqi relaxation and push hands and rooting, will serve you well, i do bothe as well, and there have been times when while using wc, and being countered, a taiqi circular move saved my butt, and remember, biu gee form has many circular techniques, so i think youll be ok.

Phenix
06-29-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by yylee

Triangle within the sphere in TC? I feel like the sphere is within the structure and the triangle is the projection vectors :) Noi and Ngoi?

IMHO (again if memory serve), the Yee Chun h&n is done more with a wave movement from the ground up. My h&n understanding in WC is that the fist(nail) is only a contact point, the mass still comes from the body(hammer). The motion is more like the whole body mass all come at once. Think of the fist being the knuckle of a bigger fist - your whole body.

YY,

Read Chen Man-Ching book -- the 13 Chapter.

And Yee Chuan book by Yau, Wang's student. Page 46 I think and see the analogy for yourselve

and find out who uses who's idea? may be co-incident may be copying without giving credits.

yylee
06-29-2003, 09:41 PM

YY,

Read Chen Man-Ching book -- the 13 Chapter.

And Yee Chuan book by Yau, Wang's student. Page 46 I think and see the analogy for yourselve

and find out who uses who's idea? may be co-incident may be copying without giving credits.

may be you could email me Yau's page, it's been a while. All I remember is this: "the two elbows are like two big nails, the legs suddenly sinks and propel the body forward, the body (rib cage) in turn propels the two elbows forward" I think they also tense up in an explosive fashion for a split second(at least in Hon Sing Kiu's book it is said this way). Also, these "front hand hit someone, the rear hand FaLik.... hitting all rely on the back leg...." are mentioned in Hon's book. May be all these masters are just copying each other :)

Anyway, if I remeber right, this YeeKuen method is not what I have in mind for H&N.

My Cheng Man Ching book is long gone in my friend's pocession, I will try to find a copy later. I do remember some drawings in Cheng's book, more like polly's and ropes (I could be totally out on this one :D )

Phenix
06-30-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by yuanfen
Hendrik- The current Journal of Asian Martial Arts has the prolific author and ex Taiwanese- Bostonian kung fu master Yang J Ming
on the cover and in the feature article interview. I didnt read the article- at least not yet... but there is an old picture of him
in a standing jong posture that looks remarkably wing chunnish..
in internal cultivation.

You might want to take a look at it.

Yang in an off hand comment once said that wing chun is just a branch of crane- one of those great overgeneralizations.

BTW Leung jan was a TCM person... so are several other wc people even currently.

Somewhat as is the case with taiji---so also with wc-- different folks bite off different parts of the pie...getting it all- few work on it.

Joy,

Thanks.

Yang obviously, certainly, Truely doesn't understand WCK, othewise he will not make that comment.

Since he makes that comment
I expect him to go to the details and details.... but I have never see him go that details.... I am waiting for his view.