PDA

View Full Version : LEOPARD VISION IN YKM

fiercest tiger
04-11-2001, 03:34 AM
How many kung fu practitioners train their eye sight?

we have a few ways of training our eyes for developing good periphal vision and spotting openings on the opponent.

out of the big cats leopards have the best vision, ykm is a known for its tiger and leopard style.

what type of exercises does your school do eye sight? :)

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

tnwingtsun
04-11-2001, 10:07 AM
This is a great topic FT and I'm suprised more people aren't responding to this,yes we trained in this and it is very close(but differant)
to the ways the military trains you to scan for bad guys in the woods and clearing rooms cutting the pie on entry,reaction time,I'll get into this latter,getting tired now,lots of cool things on this though,,cones,rods,focus,staying away fom getting fixated(tunnel vision) :cool: :D ;) :)

BIU JI
04-11-2001, 01:58 PM
Similar to how at night time if you look to the side of something you tend to see it better or can register more things.

As suggested by sifu I sit on the train and count things in and outside of the carriage. People, chairs other objects and things passing by , even walking home down dark streets use the periferal vision to register things around me and listen to all sounds.
Sounds paranoid but I keep myself ready steady most times as even trying to stay prepared for something chances are it's still going to come as a surprise.

When doing forms sifu encourages us to have that mindset and let your eyesite shift to take the whole room in and singular focus of attacking.
At least thats how I percieve what he was trying to get across to us. What do you say sifu?

fiercest tiger
04-12-2001, 01:23 AM
thanks for the replies, i think this is a vital element missing in kung fu training and maybe lost.
i believe that mindset is triggered by the vision and tiger back. soon as i arch my back and get the vision happening my mindset is attack and my chi is raging. This ever happen to you guys? so leopard head and tiger back go hand in hand in this case.
when i have a straight back im normal and conscience of what im doing, like i switch into animal mode kill than say well what am i eating now! :)

just my thoughts what do you feel with the tiger back and vision TNWINSTUN??? ;)

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

GreyMystik
04-12-2001, 05:10 PM
do you guys mean when you sort of relax the vision, not focusing on any one spot but directing your visual awareness to all sides and sort of open your field of vision? i try to do that sometimes just to get in the habit of not getting 'tunnel vision'... if not, maybe i am confused and should shut up now :)

caycej
04-12-2001, 09:12 PM
We trained eyes in conjunction with hearing and hand reaction time. It's kind of hard to explain but I'll give it a shot.

Two people stand in horse stance in a dimly lit room, in our case the only light was from streetlights coming through the shaded windows. The two people stand facing opposite walls, yet both stances should be aligned. This is the confusing part, what I mean is that as you stand there in horse, your partner is maybe 20 feet directly to your left facing the opposite wall. If you turn 90 degrees to your left and he does the same you’re facing each other.

Anyway, here's the exercise. You use a 4-inch square sand or beanbag (shaped like a small pillow) in your right hand using a tiger claw that has latched on the flat of the beanbag. You shift to a left arrow stance while spinning the bag out of your hand at your partner. The idea is to throw it so it spins like the hands of a clock on the wall, not like a frisbee. Oh yeah, it should be aimed at your partners’ head.

So your partner is sitting in horse facing a dark wall, he hears your stance transition, he hears the sound of the beans spinning in the bag, he can maybe pick it out of his peripheral vision because the bag is coming from 90 degrees on his left. He transitions into a left arrow stance and throws a right tiger claw at the bag. Ideally he hits the bag at the right time and catches it in his right tiger claw. From his perspective the bag is spinning clockwise. After he catches it he continues to follow the spin of the bag with his hand as he transitions back into a horse stance facing the original wall and his hand comes down to his waist with the bag held tight. Then of course, he repeats the process by throwing it back to his partner, etc.

Hears the beauty of the exercise. It's training the peripheral vision, it's teaching you to coordinate your peripheral observations with your hearing. It trains your timing to quickly focus a grapple in on a target that's coming at your head. Then to maintain the momentum as you control that grapple back to your waist. There's also a little bit of finger conditioning involved and getting comfortable with irregular contacts while using a tiger claw. And of course you switch off training your right side for a while then your left. All around, it's a pretty good exercise that's working on a lot of different levels at the same time.

Have fun.

WenJin
04-13-2001, 01:35 AM
So interesting it reminds of the movie 36th chambers of shaolin when they had plates with reflections of a candle light and master said "only hit those with a reflection"

Thank you

YKM sounds truely interesting also.

sui-fuw
04-15-2001, 01:55 AM
this has 5 star rating?bs is certainly inresting when it comes out from limp ging remember ykm will die sooner than you think gingless students... :p

BIU JI
04-15-2001, 03:05 AM
You stupid s**t you call yourself respectful, do be so kind as to tell us what you know of YKM. I'm sure you're just another illinformed twit who couldn't find his ass with a map and a guide dog.

tnwingtsun
04-15-2001, 07:01 AM
YOU WILL DIE.
YKM WILL LIVE ON.
You are a sorry excuse for a human being.

fiercest tiger
04-15-2001, 08:14 AM
mate dont worry about this fool, he obviously hasnt got a sifu otherwise he would have manners. if he has his sifu should know what this idiot is like.(unless his sifu already knows!)

sui fuw - give it a break, your knowledge of southern kung fu is very poor and if you like ill teach you! :(

peace

yaukungmun@hotmail.com

sui-fuw
04-16-2001, 11:28 PM
please come and teach me.i love to learn your k.f after visiting your web site.[great web,crap teacher,one promising student]
just a few things though.no connection to pak-mei[to long,not short.but then again no ging thats why you can't do short fist...]
bai si,no way,thats not what it means.[closed door student]
confusion on wether taoist or shaolin?cannot be ordained.
weight problem.you looked good in yunger days,but let yourself go[got lazy and still no ging]
hope you can clear this up once and for all.

just as i presumed,not a threat[just a guie low trying to earn his bread and butter.[respect,for what its worth]

fiercest tiger
04-17-2001, 12:00 AM
thanks for your comment, dont judge a book by its cover as they say.

its shaolin origin, your wondering why the baqua around the emblem?

but if you like come and pay me a visit i WOULD love that! ;)

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

TAO YIN
04-17-2001, 12:22 AM
Sui Fuw mean Dog Poo!

Yep that is right! Do you like my reply? It is just about as stupid and arrogant as your comments to Yau Kung Mun. What exactly happened to you when you were younger? Oh nevermind, BUBY already explained it to all of us. Thanks to my YKM brother BUBY for explaining your terrible problem.

Sui Fuw if you can't make it to OZ, I'll be happy to show you some Kung Fu. Wait a sec, me challenging you is just as stupid as what you are doing. Oh well, "mamma says stupid is as stupid does" so I guess I'll just act stupid.

In other words, BRING IT, I promise I won't even use my limp ging...Instead I'll do this, I'll throw the first punch, it will be a right, you grab it with your fu jow, lop sow, or whatever, and bring me into your phoenix fist. This way you can use the least amount of your energy RIGHT? :eek: OH WHAT IS THAT!! YOU DIDN"T EXPECT THAT BIU JI WITH MY LEFT HAND TO YOUR EYED DID YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! SEE I DIDN"T EVEN HAVE TO USE ANY GING YOU PULLED ME RIGHT INTO YOU CENTERLINE FOOL!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o

I could have made this a lot shorter by just stating...sui fuw men DOG POO! Oh well, I'll make my next post shorter!

LONG LIVE YAU KUNG MUN!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Tao Yin

fiercest tiger
04-17-2001, 12:46 AM
hahahahahahahaha :p

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com