PDA

View Full Version : Use of Dai Jeung strike

jmdrake
05-10-2002, 09:17 AM
Hello all,

The dai jeung strike (inverted palm) is in both the Sil Lum Tao and Chum Kiu forms. I was wondering when and how would you use it? Someone told me is was for "striking the lower gate" but they didn't give me any specific targets. I also heard from someone else that it can be used to strike under the chin to expose the throat. Does anyone here know the direct applications? Also are there any pictures available of anyone executing this strike against an opponent?

Thanks,

John M. Drake

TjD
05-10-2002, 02:52 PM
in chi sau a simple way to utilize this strike is when your in a bong sau, and your opponent goes to roll around it; do an upward palm strike to their chin (you can use the energy found in the bong to uppercut punch in chum kiu - one of my favorite things)

this is almost exactly like in siu lim tau except without the tan sau in between the bong and the palm strike

peace
travis

dezhen2001
05-11-2002, 04:30 AM
it could also be training the flexibility and position for things like 'po pai jeung'...

daivid

stonecrusher69
05-11-2002, 03:11 PM
the inverted palm I like to use to strike to the groin then claw an grab the .well you know? and pull!!!!

sunkuen
05-11-2002, 10:32 PM
So thats why they call you "StoneCrusher"!!!

jesper
05-12-2002, 05:06 AM
"do an upward palm strike to their chin"

Be careful with doing this, you very easily break your fingers if something goes wrong. And in a real fight something always goes wrong.

You should really keep your inverted palmstrikes to the lower sections of the body. Usually that will be somewhere between the lower ribs and the groin area

TjD
05-12-2002, 12:47 PM
normally i do more of a spade palm :) but the energy is the same - and thats the important part

basically hitting with the side of your palm that your pinkey is on; to under the chin/throat area

the upward-palmness of it is the same but it keeps your fingers ****her out of harms way :)

peace
trav

stonecrusher69
05-12-2002, 03:30 PM
I guess the cat is out of the bag!!

Wingman
05-12-2002, 05:34 PM
The chan dai jeung strike (inverted palm) is used to strike the lower ribs. You can do this together with a tan sao just like in the dummy form (right hand -- tan sao, left hand -- chan dai jeung and vice versa). The palm is inverted because it is very unnatural and difficult to strike the lower gate if your palm is not inverted.

stonecrusher69
05-13-2002, 07:54 AM
To stike the lower ribs you can also use a side palm that will work. I find for my self that the inverted plam to use say on the lower ribs is difficult to generate real power so tend not to use it that way,but I was woundering if anyone feels the same way?

mun hung
05-13-2002, 09:34 AM
"Real power" as you mentioned is not generated by the hands alone, but together with the horse and structure. The inverted palm is quite destructive...that's why it's there.

fa_jing
05-13-2002, 11:24 AM
I don't remember this palm is being in Chum Kil, at least not in my lineage.

I do prefer the side palm myself for application. Perhaps the inverted palm would be good fram tan sao. In Yip Man's version, this is to the chin, in the version I learned from William Cheung, you can drop this tan sao at the shoulder and perform the strike to the abdomen.

-FJ

stonecrusher69
05-13-2002, 04:23 PM
Yes,I realize that power is not generated by the hands alone.I assumed everyone knew that.I'm quite awhere of this ,and Think in WC there are certain tech. like the inverted palm that is a bit weak .Not just my thought but some others as well.

Wingman
05-13-2002, 05:53 PM
To stike the lower ribs you can also use a side palm that will work.

Stonecrusher,

Actually, I was refering to chan dai jeung (45 degree inverted palm strike). Please refer to my previous post. The chan dai jeung is halfway between an inverted palm and a side palm.

fa_jing,

In our Chum kiu, there is no inverted palm strike either. There is an inverted palm strike in SLT though.

anerlich
05-13-2002, 08:14 PM
I don't remember this palm is being in Chum Kil, at least not in my lineage.

in the version I learned from William Cheung

William Cheung's Chum Kil contains a downward/inverted palm, as do SLT and Bil Jee.

As regards striking to the groin, I don't think this strike is the best choice. The angle is wrong. Better IMHO is a rising strike from slightly underneath, sort of like a tok sau. You can certainly inverted palm to the bladder area and then "grab a handful" on the way back.

stonecrusher69
05-14-2002, 05:44 AM
Ok , sorry now I know what your talking about. To me there is not much differance between the two palm stikes.

fa_jing
05-14-2002, 02:39 PM
Yes, I am aware of that. But I only did Cheung-style for 6 months, we did not cover Chum Kil in this time. I have seen the form on the net, and I have Cheung's Advanced Wing Chun, which shows the form.

-FJ