PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Black Jack

MightyB
05-10-2002, 10:57 AM
I saw in your thread about what is martial art that you know a lot about Western MA. I would like to read up on western martial arts, do you know of any good books or websites that I could start with. I'm more into history than how-to's.

Thanks,

MightyB

Black Jack
05-10-2002, 11:14 AM
Is there anything specific your interested in? Time periods, weapons, different arts, those kinds of things, there are a lot of links on the web, and a ton of good books as well.

Let me know and I will see what I can do.:)

MightyB
05-13-2002, 05:39 AM
I saw a woodprint picture in the book "Secrets of the Samurai" of a Portuguese sailor fighting a Samurai with some kind of a saber and his pistol and I just thought that was cool. Since then, I've been interested in Western European martial arts. I guess I would be looking at the period when firearms were just introduced and sword fighting was still going strong. I also heard that there was a lot of unarmed fighting skills that were well known in Europe also, so any info on that would be great. I know just a little about the history of Greek Pankration and I figured that a variation of it may have to survived at least into the middle ages.

I know next to nothing about Western MA, so any starting point on the history of European MA that you know of would be great. Maybe after reading a little bit I'll have a better idea of what I would be interested in reading more about.

Thanks,

MightyB