PDA

View Full Version : New To Kung-Fu

mohammadafzalk
05-10-2002, 09:10 PM
Hi,

I, dont know to post it here or not if i, wrong please tell me where to post it.

Btw i, am new to this field. I, want to ask this that my age is now 39 now i, want to learn some starting excersices of kung-fu. I,am also knew to this field i, never go for any karate or judo club either not see what is in side happening. but i, love martial art due to some problem i, cant go for that.

so please tell me how to start and how to begin excersices. and also tell me where i, can find some more free info.

Thanks

dbulmer
05-11-2002, 01:05 AM
Mohammed,

I started Wing Chun a year ago. I am now 40 !
It's a little difficult to answer your question fully as it appears a little vague.

Let me start by saying that I think Wing Chun would be a good MA for you at your age - it's not as physically demanding as say Tae Kwan DO or Karate and aims to teach people how to fight in a relatively short time but it is not a beautiful art to look at. WC requires that you are moderately fit. With other Kung Fu styles you have to be quite fit to be able to perform some of their techniques.

The most important thing to do is visit an MA class. This site offers good pratical information on what to look out for but for me at my age it boils down to 2 or 3 things.

1) Can I physically handle the training?
By this, I mean that if I go regularly for 2 months would I be physically capable of continuing? I was very unfit and even now I don't think I could handle a Tae Kwan Do training session.

2) Am I learning something regularly?

3) Is it fun to do?

I hope some other MAs add to this post as there are other martial artists who can no doubt enlighten you more about their art and if it would be suitable for someone of our age.

Actually, I'd be interested in hearing what suggestions people would make - I'd love to have done TKD as no matter how much I love WC Tae Kwan Do does looks good !

mohammadafzalk
05-11-2002, 02:01 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I, am searching a good club here in Saudia Arab.

I, think that if you want to be in MA you will be young and healty.

Thank for your post again.

dbulmer
05-11-2002, 03:35 AM
Mohammed,
A few extra things!

When you have found your club, only do as much as you feel comfortable with. If you feel tired, get some rest. Accept a couple of things before you start-

1) There are no 'secret' techniques it's all about hard work!
2) You might get hit or injured. At our age it takes longer to recover from hard exercise so learn to pace yourself.
3) Each time you go to class you are improving.
4) Don't overdo any training

And finally ...
The hardest part about any MA is getting to the class when you don't feel like it - I would guess that any martial artist of any age can identify with that.

Good luck with your search!

Sho
05-11-2002, 05:39 AM
Kind of prejudiced to say, but southern styles are more suitable for people who start at an older age. This is mainly, because southern styles focus more on hand techniques and stable stances, while on the other hand northern styles emphasize more on footwork. This doesn't mean that these styles wouldn't have enough both hand and footwork, but the main focus is set on either one. Like dbulmer mentioned, Wing Chun is a great southern style to do. However, this is your choice so I highly suggest that you do research on various styles (both northern and southern) and pick one which best applies to your characteristics and own taste. You can also always ask on this forum.

Former castleva
05-12-2002, 09:29 AM
Hi!
If itīs possible at your area,go check a club or two out and see.
Internet (like this site) is also a good source for some information,especially theory (this is why I suggest it would be healthy to go check out a class)
About physical endurance:It never hurts to be fit,but it would be rather sick to ask any beginner to apply extremely high kicks or pushups with oneīs little fingers ;)
So take your time and see what things look like.

mohammadafzalk
05-13-2002, 03:24 AM
Hi,

I, search here but not found a good even no Kung-Fu club here only Judu club is here.

Thanks for all of you

dezhen2001
05-13-2002, 04:00 AM
Judo is also a very good sport to take :)
Look at all the possibilities but the most important things is to find a good teacher.

david