PDA

View Full Version : Does Chen Man Ching taichi have any 2 person forms

Ka
05-10-2002, 09:55 PM
I know and understand that the CMC style has a focus on a short form and push hands,with a lot of emphasis on listening, redirection and relaxation.
Does it have any 2 person forms,and does it concertrate on any of the weapons of TCC?

Esteban
05-11-2002, 02:52 PM
Hi,

just happened on to your question. The problem with talking about CMC "style" is that he had many students, and it's not easy, for an American, especially, to answer for the rest of the "style." As for two-man forms, afaik, many of the CMC practitioners here don't practice the "88", a two-man "form" where one side responds to the other using movements from the solo form. Well, many don't practice a "long" form, either, probably because they feel that Cheng extracted the "essence" of the form into his shortened version. (BTW, right now, almost all the more "traditional" family styles are creating or have created "shortened" forms, too: i.e., YZD, GSC, FZY, not to mention CXW's and FZQ's, etc). Anyway, there is a bit of irony in that some of the few practitioners to emphasize "fencing" or two-man sword practice are CMC people. So, I think you might be able to look around to find CMC practitioners who do something you are interested in. YMWV. Maybe you could also pose your question at www.chenmanching.com (? check accuracy).

Respects,
Esteban

Ka
05-11-2002, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the answer,you have connected a few dots for me
The CMC style I have seen practised over here is very restricted to the form and push hands,however when I seach the net I often come across CMC styles with 2 person sword play etc.
Cheers again
I will tell you how I go on my little search.

Ma_Xu_Zha
05-14-2002, 08:35 PM
cheng man ching held back on many teachings including two man spear, two man 88 form which was being taught on the island, saber, and many push hands methods.

yes he did extract many things, so he taught his extraction to westerners and outside door students.