PDA

View Full Version : Black Belt Mag

TenTigers
05-10-2002, 11:38 PM
they had an interesting article on Steven DeMasco and his Shaolin experiences.

Ted
05-13-2002, 06:17 AM
So what do people think about this? What are peoples feelings about Demasco? Does anyone know him/train with him?

Royal Dragon
05-13-2002, 07:56 AM
Black belt SUX, Kung Fu Qigong RULES!!!

If this Damasco charecter can't get into Kung Fu Qi Gong he's not good enough to talk about!!!:D

Seriously though is this the Shaolin Kempo guy?? Does'nt he teach Kempo as a base art, and Five Animals as a graduate course?
Kempo is suposed to be some sort of evolution of Southern Shaolin anyway, isn't it?

GeneChing
05-13-2002, 10:17 AM
And don't get me started on Demasco - I have his book right here on my desk...:rolleyes:

norther practitioner
05-13-2002, 11:48 AM
I saw a little diddy about him on TV. They were talking about Star Wars and the force. They talked to some abbot of a Buddhist temple in upstate NY, then they talked to Demasco, he was talking about chi and shaolin. Well I think I hold the same opinion as Gene, so lets just leave it as that.

Gene, you guys should do a story about all the "Shaolin" arts. Shaolin-Do, Shaolin Kempo, etc. Just to dispell some of the myths.

Royal Dragon
05-13-2002, 02:41 PM
Is this the guy that went to Shaolin and got some sort of "Ambassador to Shaolin" title because he figured out how to combine striking and Chi Na? The article I saw, stated he had figured out some sort of ancient secret of Shaolin Kung Fu or something, (as if :rolleyes: ).

GeneChing
05-14-2002, 10:15 AM
ns: not going into those "myths." nope. too much trouble. :rolleyes:

rd: I think much of Demasco's status at Shaolin came from his charity work and his political ties. FWIW, he's one of Black Belts stable, so I'd rather refrain from commenting too much out of professional courtesy.

Ted
05-16-2002, 09:59 AM
Gene,

What do you think about Demasco? What do others at or around the temple think of him? I think its pretty funny that the only mag that will have anything to do with him is Black belt :D Gee I wonder why???? I feel sorry for Master Guolin for having to be part of that whole thing. Demasco's going to use him just to promote himself. Maybe the next article you do with Guolin you can ask him what he thinks of Dam ass co.;)

Ted

Kungfu Qigong Mag Rocks !!!!!!!
By far the Best !!!!!

GeneChing
05-16-2002, 10:19 AM
To be honest, I've never met Demasco, so I don't really have much of an opinion on him. Perhaps you should ask my younger disciple brother Rich Russell who does www.russbo.com . He got his black belt from United Studios of Seld Defense which was connected to Demasco.

I read Demasco's book. The techniques he propounds don't look at all like what they do at Songshan. Actually it looks more like a Hung Gar derivation. I haven't seen his videos, but they are produced by Black Belt and EVERY mag takes care of their video stable, even us.

And to be even more straight forward, I doubt I'd ask Guolin about it myself. I don't see Guolin that often, but when I do, I prefer to ask him about Chan and kungfu over petty politics. He's a quiet man, still very limited in his English. I'd rather use our time together to focus on Shaolin transmission.

TenTigers
05-16-2002, 05:43 PM
Ask Guolin what? Shi Yan Ming poses for pictures teaching Wu Tang Clan,they are both cut from the same cloth, it was never about Gung-Fu, do the math, do the research. Neither of these guys were ever real monks, any more than the guy in the mouse suit at Disney is really Mickey.

mantis108
05-16-2002, 06:07 PM
Wow, I never knew that complex combinations of Da, Ti, Na, and Shuai are secrets in Kung Fu. How silly of me! I could have sold many diplomas myself. :rolleyes: Oh well, I am not going to be a millionaire. :(

Mantis108

PS note to self: must learn martial arts marketing - think hooking up with Shaolin temple.

joedoe
05-16-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Royal Dragon
Is this the guy that went to Shaolin and got some sort of "Ambassador to Shaolin" title because he figured out how to combine striking and Chi Na? The article I saw, stated he had figured out some sort of ancient secret of Shaolin Kung Fu or something, (as if :rolleyes: ).

Wow. Combining striking with chin na is a secret? Amazing. And here I am thinking it was pretty basic stuff! :rolleyes:

Radhnoti
05-16-2002, 07:33 PM
Wow, shaolin kung-fu snobs.

:p

:o

;)

Royal Dragon
05-17-2002, 02:19 AM
Shi Yan Ming and Goulin not Monks?

I agree Shi Yan Ming has become quite the promoter, But I though Goulin was the real deal through and though.

Shaolindynasty
05-20-2002, 08:23 AM
I thought that article was pretty self serving. It was more a promotion thing than an informational article. Anyway i find it odd that he only refers to his previous teachers as "the great masters of chinatown":rolleyes: Demasco is lame

Hai_To
05-21-2002, 09:14 AM
I don't know too much about Steve Demasco or USSD, but I do know that he spent some time studying with Tak Wah Eng. Apparently, together they have developed the "Poon Lone Kuen - Circular Dragon Fist Kung Fu System".