PDA

View Full Version : Contacting Jason Tsou

cybermantis
05-11-2002, 08:35 AM
Does anyone know how I would contact Jason Tsou by telephone and where is he teaching now adays? Does he still teach Mantis and the internal arts?

woliveri
05-11-2002, 06:58 PM
He's right there where you are in Monterey Park.

Check here:

http://chikungintl.com/

Or see "Count" who is in the Tai Chi and Internal arts section of this board.

HTH,

count
05-11-2002, 07:16 PM
Come to the park on Casuda Canyon near the hi-ho market Saturday morning or friday night. If you have known him in the past you will know the park I am talking about. He doesn't have the school any more. You can e-mail direct and I will forward to him if you wish. The Bagua and Baji classes are the biggest now but you could still learn Mantis from him.

urban tea
05-12-2002, 07:07 PM
Jason Tsou's receptionist. That girl. She can be quite annoying but maybe it's just her trying to sell me.

I went to the school once before it closed down.

I asked her, "Do you guys use the dummy?"

She said, " I don't know why the mantis practitioner would, since they are known for fast and deceptive kicking."

hahhaah.

Reminds me of this classmate that said, " I'm learning mantis to develop quickness and hung gar for devestating power."

cybermantis
05-12-2002, 09:25 PM
Thank you all for your many responses! I was more interested in obtaining more detailed information on which systems sifu Tsou is currently teaching? Because I am drawn to Mantis but also have an interest in some internal arts also? So if Sifu or anyone that had knowledge of the systems that are taight at his school this would be appreciated. I know where sifu teaches but it is a matter of schedules, currently my current schedule conflicts with his teaching schedule but I could rearrange it once I know that he teaches what I am lookin for.

count
05-13-2002, 07:00 AM
urban tea,

I have to wonder why you would ask a receptionist any questions about kung fu in the first place? She is there to answer phones, collect the dues, do accounting etc. Jason is one of the most approachable people I have ever met in martial arts. He would answer any question you have. As far as your "dummy" question, I would say no. Especially since we don't have a permenant school. We have many methods of training and conditioning that are unique to individual systems but wooden dummy is not one we use. When trying out a teacher or a system I have always found it is best not to ask a lot of unnecessary questions though. He couldn't possibly tell you everything he learned in the past 55 years he has been training and all your questions will be answered in time anyway.

cybermantis,

The majority of our group are interested in Bagua but we have a large minority learning Baji and Piqua. I spent a couple of years doing Mantis and there are a few people currently learning Mantis but most of us are commited to Bagua now. As far as schedule, since Jason gave up the school and focuses alot on his business, he only comes Friday nights and Saturday mornings. Classes last around 4, sometimes 5 hours. We also have a Sunday morning class which is currently focused on long pole and spear only. Some students meet in the middle of the week for practice but as far as I know, they are on their own. Personally, I have a training partner I work with during the week and get as much as I can from Jason on the weekends. Maybe you could tell me what it is you are "lookin for"? Jason teaches Bagua, Tai Chi Chuan, Baji, Piqua, Praying Mantis and Longfist. We also have done a fair amount of Shuai Chaio. I have seen him perform Mizong, and Hsing-I but I have never seen him teach it so I can't tell you how much he knows. He constantly amazes me with what he pulls out of his hat. As far as weapons, there are many from each system. Personally I have done Sword, Long Pole, Mia Dao. My favorite bagua weapons are deerhorns and elbow daggers. Each weapon is taught like each system, with emphasis on basics and applications.

Jason used to tell you what you need to train in based on your individual skills and physical attributes. He has changed alot over the years though, so I'm sure if there was something special you wanted, he would make it available to you. But my best advice is to let him bring you along. He has a great eye and intuition for what you need to develop and eventually, if you stick long enough, you will get it all. Stop by class on a Saturday and see for yourself.

cybermantis
05-13-2002, 09:32 AM
I still have some question that only Sifu Jason or yourself could possibly answer and because of my current schedule at the current moment it is hard for me to attend at night until I become a student once again.
So could you either contact me directly or forward me Sifu Jason telephone # so he could answer my questions.

urban tea
05-13-2002, 09:53 AM
Yeah shes' there to asnwer phones and give historial stories.

I was watching and she said, " You know back in the old days, grandmasters wouldn't just accept studetns that walked in. Most of them had to live with their masters and pay respect before they could learn anything."

I didn't say anything...i just smiled.
And I wasn't even trying to get Jason Tsou to spill the beans on what he has learned.

cybermantis
05-13-2002, 10:03 AM
so how about a way of contacting Jason Tsou?by telephone?

count
05-13-2002, 01:58 PM
cybermantis,

I e-mailed you an address you reach him at but if you have any other questions, feel free to ask either by post or by e-mail.

urban tea,

Yeh, that sounds kinda strange but I still don't get the historical story reference. Not like her background is very strong in Chinese culture or Martial arts. Anyway, I'm sure Jason would tell you there are no secrets or "beans to spill". Just hard work and practice and alot of sweat. But you won't get that sitting on the side asking a dumb receptionist, dumb questions. You gotta give these things a try over a long period of time.;)

urban tea
05-13-2002, 04:53 PM
Count!!

These are dumb questions

1. How long does it take to become a master?
2. Can you put someone's chi into them?
3. What's the best style?
4. Teach me some secret techniques.

My simply , casual question of :

"Do you guys have a dummy?"

is not a dumb question! Just an honest, quick question. Like going to Jack in the Box and asking , " Do you have a jumbo jack"

=]

I thought she was annoying.