PDA

View Full Version : Praying Mantis 2700 Years Old

diego
05-11-2002, 10:04 AM
Whats this about?http://www.wutang.org/styles/styles_eng02.html

NorthernMantis
05-11-2002, 06:59 PM
Well I see it as one of two things

1) It was proably a different mantis system that was developed and lost that we don't know about.

2)Like most styles the history is either misinterprited by years of oral tradition or or misinformed.

diego
05-11-2002, 11:58 PM
2- i doubt it has any relation to the more modern shaolin mantis we all know...Very interesting though if chinese warriors used the mantis dance in thier fighting structures 2000 years ago, i mean most tribal cultures do this especially african and native indians, to me it is a cool thought to picture these energys were bieng worked with thousands of years before what we knew? to be genesis... I knew animals like tiger dragon and monkey are old school, i thought mantis was a more current entity, i doubt these styles relate, and even if the 2000 year old one is a folkdance, i think it is hip that in some way the old folk dance may have had a slight influence in the newer combat art?:cool:

NorthernMantis
05-12-2002, 05:27 AM
Could be

Mantis9
05-13-2002, 08:24 AM
In the pretty impressive little movie of mantis that they showed, I recognized the Cha Chuey(Peircing Hand) and Mei Hau Lo(Plum Flower Decending). So, I don't know where they get 2700 years old figure. Of course, both those forms looked a bit different than the way my lineage plays it, but they were from the Mantis that I know to be only 400 years.

Perhaps, they follow Ilya Profatilov theory that PM as we know now originated during the Sung dynasty, not the Ming-Qing era.