PDA

View Full Version : choy lay 's bin gwai kwun

RAIN
05-11-2002, 10:22 AM
clf nole

there is a literal translation for " bin gwai " ? in most choy lay fut pages i found this name without translation .

CLFNole
05-11-2002, 02:54 PM
It refers to a certain type of staff. I think it loosely translates to flat stick staff. Sisuk Joseph is chinese and speaks cantonese much better than me so he would likely have a better translation than me.

The staff type this refers to would be something you would see in an old kung fu movie. People are often seen in the streets with a staff across their shoulders and a load of goods attaching hanging to each side. This type of staff or stick was kind of flat and wide not round like a typical staff. Hence the name Bein Kwai Kwun.

Hope this helps.

Peace

extrajoseph
05-12-2002, 05:10 AM
To add onto what CLFNole have said already, I think you are referring to the "serng tou bein gwai gwun". "Serng tou" means double headed and "bein" refers to "bein tan", a flat carrying stick as mentioned by CLFNole and "gwai gwun" is a walking stick. So "serng tou bein gwai gwun" can be translated as "doubled head flat carrying/walking stick". It is a long length pole form in which both ends of the stick are used for defence and attack.

We normally don't try to translate the name, we just say "serng tou bein gwai gwun". In practice it is not a flat carrying pole made of bamboo, it is normally a round pole made of wood and painted red at both ends that we used. However, the origin inspiration may have came from the flat bamboo carrying stick with both ends shaped (notched to hold the ropes) to carry the bamboo baskets that the old Chinese would used for their day to day transport as mentioned by CLFNole.

Hope this helps.

JosephX

RAIN
05-14-2002, 07:28 AM
thank you friends . this help me a lort to understand more .

clf nole i always think you was chinese and joshep occidental .

CLFNole
05-14-2002, 08:13 AM
Rain:

No I'm a gwai lo (italian) with a chinese wife. Had to learn chinese so I know when my wife and mother-in-law are talking about me.

Peace.

extrajoseph
05-14-2002, 03:16 PM
CLFNole,

I bet your kids look gorgeous, all you have to do now is to teach them to move like Bruce Lee! Maybe they can already.

JosephX

CLFNole
05-14-2002, 03:19 PM
Sisuk Joseph:

No kids yet my wife is only 26 and she wants to wait a bit. I'm 33 so I don't want to wait to long. She wants a girl of course and i would prefer a boy to teach him CLF. Her father had 3 girls none of which wanted to learn his CLF. So I hope we can keep the CLF going.

Peace.